• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus Scopes

rogers0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Camp Lejeune and elsewhere
Anyone have any experience with the Horus Scopes? How does the glass stack up to Leupold or Nightforce? Are they built for field use?

I am looking for something variable power and non illuminated. The raptor and hawk models from Horus are what I am inquiring about. Thanks for any help.

Re: Horus Scopes

I have the raptor and love it. I compare the optics to that of a nikon or a vari x III leup. i do wish they had a better customer service and warranty though. I have not had any issues that need the attention of warranty or customer service, it's just that it would be nice if I ever needed it. A hunting buddy of mine has the hawk on his 22-250 for coyote hunting and likes it as well. He replaced a burris black diamond with it. I have not used mine for anything other than hunting and paper so I don't know how they stand up to in the field service.

I can't specifically comment on the raptor or hawk, but I have a Talon 1-4x and a Falcon, and would agree that the glass is similar quality to Nikon or approx Leupold, and not as good as my Nightforce. The tube and machining are also approx similar quality to Nikon. With comparison, I also have a USO SN4 (to compare to the talon) and a USO SN3 w/ H25 reticle (to compare to the Falcon). Both USO are double the price (or more)...and are definitely double the quality in machining, construction, and glass. But that's not to say that the Horus optics are bad, they're just not USO (but neither is nikon or leupold). For Horus anything, the reticle is the key element...and if you like the Horus system, it absolutely rocks (provided you practice with it...just like anything else). I have never had a problem with either one through heavy use, but I think that a low probability of problems with the Horus scopes is in part due to the fact that you aren't constantly testing it (clicking knobs), you're using precision holdover. For short-medium distance and daytime shooting, I actually prefer them to "higher quality" optics without a Horus reticle (my Nightforce). At distances >600y and low-light shooting, the better glass starts to show its quality. They also give a hefty military discount for active duty, which is appreciated. I'd be surprised if you got it and were disappointed.

OK sounds awesome....I am actually thinking about putting one on a Remington 700 SPS with a 20 inch barrel, so I would be using it more for shorter ranges anyways.

I guess the biggest question is this....I know that the Hawk is aluminum, can anyone comment on how durable they are? I have a Schmidt and Bender on my m40a3 that I have absolutely beat to shit in the field and it is aluminum and it performs fine. Just wanted to know if anyone had any idea how the aluminum Hawk would hold up.

So many grades of Aluminum tubing and so many different thicknesses, someone would have to put it to the test and directly compare with other known brands. Anybody out there spent $15 K testing scopes to destruction?