• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus Talon on AR

Double-edged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2002
Haven't really found much information on this so I thought that I'd throw it out to the general forum...

Looking at putting a Horus Talon on a 16" AR. Anyone using one on an AR? Any feedback?

Re: Horus Talon on AR

I never had a Talon but I recently bought a Hawk. It was a piece of trash. I eventually talked them into refunding my money. The Talon may be alright but I for one will never deal with Horus again.

I had a Talon on an AR. I replaced it with a Eotech. I'm fine with the Eotech on human targets out to beyond 300 yards, and I've not got much desire to shoot a carbine beyond that range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I for one will never deal with Horus again.</div></div>

Ditto.

IMO, the Horus reticle is superb - but I want it in someone else's scope. I don't like their scopes. Also, the Horus software is pretty good.

So, HorusVision, IMO, has a couple of excellent products, and a really crappy way of doing business, based on my experience with doing business with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Mayo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Looking at putting a Horus Talon on a 16" AR. Anyone using one on an AR? Any feedback?</div></div>

Harold,

FWIW I have Talons on two AR's and they have been very good, but one is on a Mk12 and one on a MSTN SuperSAM, so they are on longer barrels than you're considering. Overall, as you research, you'll probably find the people who love the Horus reticles praise the reticles but like them in other manufacturers' scopes (S&B, USO, hopefully someday NF). The talon and the H-50 reticle will be well able to meet most needs for the generally effective range for 16" AR's, but when any product performs well in pretty much all categories, you can be rest assured that there will be a product that will be better within a single category (i.e. if maximum speed in CQB or at 50-300yrds with "minute-of-torso" accuracy is your goal, your favorite holographic or red-dot will likely end up a little faster...or conversely, if your goal is to push the range out to 400-600yds while shooting super tight groups, you're obviously better off with a good, higher-mag scope and foregoing something that gives you 1x, both-eyes-open targeting). The talon with the H-50 has the ability to do most things well, the 1x does not have bad distortion and can be used both-eyes-open, so it's very versatile and the target reference points in the H-50 reticle will exceed what you'll need with a 16" AR. The glass is good enough, and if you shoot Horus, you won't use "knob-ology" (at least certainly not on the Talon). Neither of my Talons have had a problem, but on 5.56 AR's, they don't end up taking that much punishment. For the money, you'll be hard-pressed to find a 1-4x optic that offers what the Talon does. Their software is good and is very user-friendly. But I'd replace my Talons if NF or USO put the H-50 into a NXS or SN4S (or SN4) in a minute. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. -A

BachelorJack, send me a PM or e-mail with your price and, if possible, a picture. I am very interested.

why do you dislike horus? considering a horus scope and would like to know before i find out the hard way

I had one a while ago and really liked it. I had the early one with the H47 reticle, which had a big center dot that I didn't like. I sold mine because they were supposed to be coming out with a new H48 model, which they never did.
The thing about 1x4 scopes is that they are great for 25-400 yards, but they are slower at CQB than Aimpoints/EOTechs.

For 0-100 yards: Aimpoint/EOTech.
For O-300 yards: Aimpoint/EOTech w/3xMagnifier.
For 25-400 yards: Horus Talon or other 1x4 scope with BDC turrets or Reticle.

I did a review on the Talon scope that I had. If you do a search, it may still be here.

Yep, I have a Horus scope and was supposed to get the PDA software over a year ago....never showed up. Left a few msgs, never heard back, and simply gave up. Not much use for the kickbutt reticle without the software...or at least not that I have figured out. So, I just use one of my NightForces instead and havent looked back. May get around to posting the Whorus for sale here one day.

Horus customer service is crap, IMHO.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not much use for the kickbutt reticle without the software...or at least not that I have figured out.</div></div>

The Horus reticle is usable with Exbal/Nightforce, Field Firing Solutions, JBM, and any other program which will output elevation and windage data in mils, which all of the ones I listed will.

Once you zero the reticle at 100 yards, you simply get the program to output the data in mils, and that's what you hold using the reticle.

It's difficult to get much simpler than that.