• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus vision or NF...

Rackit313

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
Portland OR
Hello all, new to the forum, and I seek all your advise and experience. I'm in the process of building a long range rifle (I want to shoot out past 1k (however the savage 10 fcpk is our of stock and no where to be found, not the point tho)).

I think I've narrowed down my choices down to two scopes: a Horus Vision Predator (8-26x50 with the h70 reticle) and the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 with the velocity 1000 reticle.

Now before everyone goes crazy and starts saying go with the NF, what I would like is a feature vs feature comparison between the two rifles (I.e. Horus reticle vs the velocity, mag range on the Horus vs the NF (is one not enough or overkill), etc.). I know there is about a 1k price difference between the two, obviously the Horus has a much more desirable price tag. I don't want to talk about price. Again, I want views based on experience between these two scopes with a feature vs feature comparison.... Please?

Thanks guys!

Re: Horus vision or NF...

These two scopes are not comparable. You're trying to compare reticles, though you should be asking about the quality of the scope itself. The Horus blows, and the NF is actually a good tool. The NF is better quality in EVERY way - don't worry about the "features", because features do you no good if the scope is a pile of garbage. The NF is in a completely different league and it shouldn't even be compared. Get the NF and be done with it.

Good luck.

You might be better off starting out with a simple MOA or MIL reticle with matching turrets.
The Nightforce MLR and NP-R1 are both very easy to use.

I have never looked through a horus scope so I cant give any personal experiance. However, I did look at reviews when I was trying to decide which scope to get and I dont think that to many people were impressed with the glass that comes in a Horus scope. I think what Horus did do, is make a good reticle, but that seems to be where it ended
I have nightforce scopes and they are very nice scope, my latest however is a Vortex Razor HD which I am waiting to get in the mail. If I had to choose between the two I would pick nightforce everytime. If you want something a little cheaper, you can look at vortex. Maybe a Vortex PST, they seem to be getting alot of people on the Vortex bandwagon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might be better off starting out with a simple MOA or MIL reticle with matching turrets.
The Nightforce MLR and NP-R1 are both very easy to use. </div></div>good luck .
g.gif

After some thought, yes I agree these can't really be conpared like UncleBenji said. I think the biggest things that drew me to the Horus was the reticle first and foremost, the power ranges, and the cost. Having said that NF had a stellar rep for great quality scopes. The Velocity 1000 reticle by NF is similar to the h70 which is I think why I liked that one. If that NXS 5.5-22x56 had a h70 reticle it'd be perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, new to the forum, and I seek all your advise and experience. I'm in the process of building a long range rifle (I want to shoot out past 1k (however the savage 10 fcpk is our of stock and no where to be found, not the point tho)).

I think I've narrowed down my choices down to two scopes: a Horus Vision Predator (8-26x50 with the h70 reticle) and the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 with the velocity 1000 reticle.

Now before everyone goes crazy and starts saying go with the NF, what I would like is a feature vs feature comparison between the two rifles (I.e. Horus reticle vs the velocity, mag range on the Horus vs the NF (is one not enough or overkill), etc.). I know there is about a 1k price difference between the two, obviously the Horus has a much more desirable price tag. I don't want to talk about price. Again, I want views based on experience between these two scopes with a feature vs feature comparison.... Please?

Thanks guys! </div></div>

Haha, I'll probably get flamed for this but here it goes...

The first FFP-(first focal plane) scope I owned "and still own" is the Horus Predator. I have 2 in fact. I've also owned 2 SFP-(second focal plane)NF 5.5-22's.

Is the build quality of the NF superior? Yes in every way. I sold the 5.5-22's because I prefer FFP scopes. Not only that but there are things about NF scopes that I don't like. Those things are personal preference more than anything else.

Now onto the NF-F1 3.5-15 FFP with Horus H-58 reticle. Currently it is the most versatile scope I own. Has the 10 mil knobs, zero stop, illume, etc.

The HV Predators I kept because I like using holdovers/holdoffs primarily. The glass is OK at best, they don't track correctly, they are long and funky looking, they are in IPHY (I prefer mil/mil. Last but "definitely least" is that HV has a horrible warranty. Past one year after a HV scope is bought if the scope breaks you are SOL. But guess what, I have shot steel at 2300Y with them, won and or finished high in various tactical matches or long range matches with them and Killed stuff.

If I were you I would look into the Bushnell HDMR/H-59. They are a very good scope. I own 3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, new to the forum, and I seek all your advise and experience. I'm in the process of building a long range rifle (I want to shoot out past 1k (however the savage 10 fcpk is our of stock and no where to be found, not the point tho)).

The first FFP-(first focal plane) scope I owned "and still own" is the Horus Predator. I have 2 in fact. I've also owned 2 SFP-(second focal plane)NF 5.5-22's.

Is the build quality of the NF superior? Yes in every way. I sold the 5.5-22's because I prefer FFP scopes. Not only that but there are things about NF scopes that I don't like. Those things are personal preference more than anything else.

Now onto the NF-F1 3.5-15 FFP with Horus H-58 reticle. Currently it is the most versatile scope I own. Has the 10 mil knobs, zero stop, illume, etc.

The HV Predators I kept because I like using holdovers/holdoffs primarily. The glass is OK at best, they don't track correctly, they are long and funky looking, they are in IPHY (I prefer mil/mil. Last but "definitely least" is that HV has a horrible warranty. Past one year after a HV scope is bought if the scope breaks you are SOL. But guess what, I have shot steel at 2300Y with them, won and or finished high in various tactical matches or long range matches with them and Killed stuff.

If I were you I would look into the Bushnell HDMR/H-59. They are a very good scope. I own 3.
</div></div>

Just looked up that bushnell.... :-D I like that one a lot. Seems to have a good power range, Horus reticle... I just don't know if I can afford 1600. If I could find a used one in good shape I would definitely consider that one.

Thanks you guys for your insight and suggestions. I think if I can find a good used NF like the one I mentioned or the bushnell I'll probably go with one of those.

Of those two, which one do you guys suggest?

If $1600 is already a lot of money to you, then go for the Bushnell HDMR. The Nightforce F1 will run north of $2000, even used, if you can even find a used one with a Horus reticle at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If $1600 is already a lot of money to you, then go for the Bushnell HDMR. The Nightforce F1 will run north of $2000, even used, if you can even find a used one with a Horus reticle at all. </div></div>

Well the NF NXS I was looking at runs around 1700ish if I remember correctly. An if the bushnell is 1600, it's pretty close race. And if I'm going to spend that much on glass, a hundred or two isn't really going to make too big of a difference. So for sale of argument, say they were the same price. If you guys had the two sitting right in front of you, which would you take, and why?

NSX and F1 NSX are different scopes. Apples and oranges.

The Bushnell and the F1 are FFP scopes. The other Nightforces are SFP. And a Nightforce F1 with Horus would be even more, close to $3K.

You are comparing a FFP Bushnell w/Horus to a SFP Nightforce with mildot or MLR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, new to the forum, and I seek all your advise and experience. I'm in the process of building a long range rifle (I want to shoot out past 1k (however the savage 10 fcpk is our of stock and no where to be found, not the point tho)).

</div></div>
you've shot steel at over a mile and a quarter with a horus? how big was the steel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NSX and F1 NSX are different scopes. Apples and oranges.

The Bushnell and the F1 are FFP scopes. The other Nightforces are SFP. And a Nightforce F1 with Horus would be even more, close to $3K.

You are comparing a FFP Bushnell w/Horus to a SFP Nightforce with mildot or MLR. </div></div>

Well that would explain why I was never talking about the F1 NXS. And so what if I'm talking about a "FFP Bushnell w/Horus to a SFP Nightforce with mildot or MLR"? These are the two scopes I'm looking at. Btw, I was talking about the NXS 5.5-22x56 with the Velocity 1000 reticle. Here is a link to the scope I'm referring to. Not really sure why the F1 was brought up. Anyway, back to my question: if you had both scopes, the bushnell and the NF, as mentioned above, and cost was not an issue, which would you pick and why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx </div></div>

That's not a bad scope! Only thing is the reticle. I really would like a Horus style reticle where I don't really have to guess with a holdover and hold off and hope its where it needs to be. Definitely will keep this one in mind though. Thank you! Do you have any personal experience with this scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, new to the forum, and I seek all your advise and experience. I'm in the process of building a long range rifle (I want to shoot out past 1k (however the savage 10 fcpk is our of stock and no where to be found, not the point tho)).

</div></div>
you've shot steel at over a mile and a quarter with a horus? how big was the steel? </div></div>

Yep I sure did. It was a 3' steel disc. I was with JTG, a fellow member here on the hide. I dialed up and held over to make the shot. The reticle has nearly 80 IPHY of visible reticle FOV.

I was using a HDMR/H-59 on my 30-375R this last weekend at the AZPRC ELR match. The system works great. I was one of the few that hit the 2356Y steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx </div></div>

That's not a bad scope! Only thing is the reticle. I really would like a Horus style reticle <span style="color: #FF0000">where I don't really have to guess with a holdover and hold off and hope its where it needs to be.</span> Definitely will keep this one in mind though. Thank you! Do you have any personal experience with this scope? </div></div>

There are differing opinions on this. Is Lowlight in the building?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NSX and F1 NSX are different scopes. Apples and oranges.

You are comparing a FFP Bushnell w/Horus to a SFP Nightforce with mildot or MLR. </div></div>

Well that would explain why I was never talking about the F1 NXS. And so what if I'm talking about a "FFP Bushnell w/Horus to a SFP Nightforce with mildot or MLR"? These are the two scopes I'm looking at. Btw, I was talking about the NXS 5.5-22x56 with the Velocity 1000 reticle. Here is a link to the scope I'm referring to. Not really sure why the F1 was brought up. Anyway, back to my question: if you had both scopes, the bushnell and the NF, as mentioned above, and cost was not an issue, which would you pick and why?</div></div>

I'd take the Bushnell HDMR. It has better glass, FFP, and the Horus reticle. It's tube is quite tough also. Velocity reticles are just an estimate. With the Horus, you just memorize where your load will hit at each range. Plus the H59 will go out to much farther than 1000.

I shoot with a suppressor and the suppressor changes the POI. With the Horus, I zero with the suppressor off and then can see with the reticle how the suppressor offsets and add my dope from that new POI.

You get so much more with the Bushnell HDMR than you get with the Nightforce. If you don't want the Horus reticle, the mil dot HDMR is only $1300.

I also have the SWFA 5-20x50 HD and that is a fine scope as well.

Thanks CanPopper. I actually just ordered my savage today along with a AAC 762sdn6 so I'll probably be running a can most of the time. After lookin at some reviews on that bushnell I think I'm sold on it. Everyone seems to really like the glass and for longer range shooting that peticular Horus reticle seems to be the best bet for what I'm wanting to do. Thanks a lot for the info and your insight.

As stated before, I think I'd be fine with a used one... If there is anyone that would want to part with it! Hint hint haha

Would also like to add to all of you that responded: thank you very much for everyone's input and advice. I appreciate it very much!

Yes I have a SS 5-20, mounted on a Savage 300 WSM. The scope has performed flawlessly, and is by far the best glass that I have ever owned!

The HDMR is great for the money with the Horus Reticle. If you want to save a few hundred you can get it w/o the horus reticle.

The issue I have with the NF NXS velocity reticles is that you are married to the reticle. The scope will be set up for specific loads that match the velocity reticle. If you ever want to run the scope on another scope you will need to make sure that the load you are using matches the particular velocity reticle you have. It is also a second plane scope, which means for the velocity reticle to work you will need the power cranked to 22 power.

So I've decided on the bushnell elite tactical. The 3.5-21 is alright, but I'd like a bit more mag. So I checked out bushnells website and I don't even see the H59 offered on any of their scopes... Am I missing something? I'd like their 6-24x50 with the H59 but like I said I don't see that reticle offered anywhere on their site.

I have had a Horus. Now I don't own one. I thought my dog had licked the lenses. Would not track, their warranty and customer
service should automatically make a person opt for a different choice. I love the reticle. Have one in the Bushnell HDMR. If I don't have a US Optics on one of my comp rifles, it wears the Bushnell.

In your guy's experience, at what distance is 21x mag effectively accurate to? Like I mentioned (I think I did anyway), I'm wanting to get into longer range shooting (yes this is subjective because to me "longer range" is 1000+ yds), and not sure how effective a 21x mag would be at those ranges. Any input? Bushnell emailed me back and said the h59 is not available in the higher mag ranges.

Minimum mag rule is 1x per 100 yards for tactical style shooting. So in theory, the HDMR can take you to 2100 yards if you have good eyes.

But what I've found to be the real determining factor for long range is glass quality at the higher magnification, not magnification itself. The HDMR has excellent glass so you should be good.

Also remember, higher magnification with a holdover type reticle eventually works against you because you get less holdover the higher the magnification you go. Take a look at my HDMR video where I crank up the power to see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26lwyhR1n14

Notice more holdovers at low power and less at high power. So wanting more magnification and a Horus reticle is essentially a contradiction.

If you are looking for a benchrest scope, then look elsewhere since the requirements for that is very different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Minimum mag rule is 1x per 100 yards for tactical style shooting. So in theory, the HDMR can take you to 2100 yards if you have good eyes.

But what I've found to be the real determining factor for long range is glass quality at the higher magnification, not magnification itself. The HDMR has excellent glass so you should be good.

Also remember, higher magnification with a holdover type reticle eventually works against you because you get less holdover the higher the magnification you go. Take a look at my HDMR video where I crank up the power to see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26lwyhR1n14

Notice more holdovers at low power and less at high power. So wanting more magnification and a Horus reticle is essentially a contradiction.

If you are looking for a benchrest scope, then look elsewhere since the requirements for that is very different. </div></div>

I understand exactly what you are saying but there is such a thing as ..."dialing 20 mils and holding over some more to make extreme long range shots", such as the 2356Y plate I hit last weekend at the AZPRC ELR event while using 21X
smile.gif
. There was a respected firearms instructor there with a NF 5.5-22/20 moa rail that could neither dial enough elevation or holdover enough with the reticle to make the same shot. That is not the only target he could not engage.

Thanks for your suggestions guys! The last scope I had was a leupold 4.5-14 b&c on a 700 .30-06. It was ok. Figured if I was going to be shooting longer ranges I'd need more than 20x but taken from your guys' experience and talking to some other people 21-22x will be perfect. Thanks again all!

Finally got my savage yesterday! Model 10 FCP-K in .308. Having the guy track my down that bushnell for me now!

Me 2. 20x is good for 300 yds in my opinion but you (I) can't really see bullet holes on grid paper. Glad you didn't go NF, I have one and now I want more of them for my other rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoHair</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, you shoot it yet?
In OR here also </div></div>

Where abouts are you? I'm in Portland. Anyway, no I haven't shot it yet. I haven't gotten the scope yet. Bought a weaver mount (cheap I know but that's all the store had. I'll see how the mount does and if it doesn't work out I'll get a better one. The front two screws for the mount are too long and contact the bolt so I'm going to do some dremeling today. On the scope, I called the shop I got the rifle from (fishermans), gave them the part number for the scope and they told me it didn't exist!! Wtf?? I got it from bushnell directly! So I'm looking to get it elsewhere instead. Although now I'm really interested in the 6-24x50 with the G2dmr reticle. Anyone have any experience with the reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squid284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me 2. 20x is good for 300 yds in my opinion but you (I) can't really see bullet holes on grid paper. Glad you didn't go NF, I have one and now I want more of them for my other rifles. </div></div>

Why you glad I don't go NF? Keep in mind I still haven't gotten a scope yet. I tried putting on my leatherwood 2.5-10x ART scope but honestly that thing is made for ARs... It really stands almost ridiculously too tall on the rifle.
20x is good for 300 huh? Well keep in mind I'd like to be shooting out to 1k and beyond. So that's why I asked about higher than 20-22x magnification. But seems like a lot of people say 20-22 is perfect for really any long range distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squid284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me 2. 20x is good for 300 yds in my opinion but you (I) can't really see bullet holes on grid paper. Glad you didn't go NF, I have one and now I want more of them for my other rifles. </div></div>

Why you glad I don't go NF? Keep in mind I still haven't gotten a scope yet. I tried putting on my leatherwood 2.5-10x ART scope but honestly that thing is made for ARs... It really stands almost ridiculously too tall on the rifle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">20x is good for 300 huh? Well keep in mind I'd like to be shooting out to 1k and beyond. So that's why I asked about higher than 20-22x magnification. But seems like a lot of people say 20-22 is perfect for really any long range distance.</span> </div></div>

The NightForce NXS 22x is more than enough for a 1000+ shot. They're used on anything from small caliber to .338 and .50 caliber so...you will be just fine with a 22x.

Rackit, Apologies... I thought you already ordered the Bushnell scope. My only point there was that once I got a NF, I quickly realized that my other scopes were inferior (although nothing necessarily wrong with them). I have 2 $300-600 scopes now sitting on a bench doing nothing for me right now because I moved on to something better. If you own one NF, you will eventually want more and that's hard on the wallet.

$1500-2000 is a big investment so buy once and buy a scope you can be confident with regardless of who makes it. (not an impulse or bargain buy) There's a lot of options out there so don't be rushed. If you can try looking through some different scopes at extended ranges before you buy, then I think that should be king over anything you read on the internet. Look through a 15, 22, 32x scope and then decide what you like best if at all possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
20x is good for 300 huh? Well keep in mind I'd like to be shooting out to 1k and beyond. So that's why I asked about higher than 20-22x magnification. But seems like a lot of people say 20-22 is perfect for really any long range distance. </div></div>

I'm a fan of Horus reticles and own both a Horus Falcon H37 and a Raptor H59 model. I've had no problems with either, but if you want the repution of nightforce and the speed of use of the Horus reticle you can have both.

http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-f1-35-15x50-mrad-zero-stop-horus-h-58-c361.aspx

Why is the Horus reticle desirable? It's the only precision aiming system which does not require knob twidding with changes of wind or target distance. Parallax is the same as other scopes. The windage & elevation knobs only need to be used to zero with a change of rifle or ammo. The Horus reticles are just an expanded mil-dot system with the blank spaces filled in over the usable shooting space. You just align the target on the correct location on the reticle and fire. You still need a rangefinder and a ballistic computer or range cards, but that's the same as with target knobs.

When you start shooting at 1000 yards and beyond you'll find that higher magnification is usually not beneficial. It depends on terrain and solar heating of the ground but at longer ranges atmospheric scintillation puts a cap on useful magnification. I enjoy target shooting at a mile, but I see no improvement in group sizes using over 16x. Wind deflection uncertainty nearly always controls both first round point of aim error and group sizes beyond 1000 yards. More magnification doesn't help in watching air movement indicators either as it always restricts the field of view. More magnification may help some types of eye problems.

Ya sorry but I don't have 2800 bucks for a scope. Lol. Nice scope though. I have my eye on a bushnell elite tactical 6-24x50 with the g2dmr reticle. About 1900 cheaper than that night force. From what a lot of people have said, bushnell has really good glass and the reticle seems to provide what I'm looking for (even though its not a Horus) so I think I'll be getting this one, if I can find someone that has one in stock or one that's willing to order one for me.

Well, in a complete change of events, I came home today with a Steiner Military 4-16x50mm FFP illuminated g2b mildot. Obviously not what I had originally been thinking of but I saw it behind the glass and got a really good deal on it! I can't wait to mout it and see how it performs!