• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus Vision Scopes

armada

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Livermore, California,
Does anyone here own a Horus rifle scope? I was curious since all I ever hear about here is USO, S & B, Laupold, Nightforce and so on. I know all these are great scopes and own a few myself, but I stumble upon Horus at the range a few weeks back. I didn't have a chance to have a look through the scope, but I did get a look as it sat on the bench.

I gues my questions are:

How is the glass, tracking, and quality overall?
Is it an impor? If so, where was it made?
How about the warranty service?

Basicaly, what all things you would look for in a scope. I know we can't say it's a custom or anything like that, but would you buy one?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Horus Vision Scopes

Have you seen the reticules? It's just different; apparently you don't adjust turrets, but rather place the target in the "grid" according to a distance calculation from the "range finder" and known holds based on distance/wind speed. Divide the actual height by the perceived height to get the distance (don't lose the card until after you memorize it, I guess). Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what everyone's been using for so many decades. I think they hope that it will supplant current methods, but I really doubt it. Go to their site and try the simulator. It's interesting and kinda fun, and it works. Doesn't mean I want to buy their equipment, though. I don't know how the quality of the mechanicals compares.

Thank you for your replies. I guess I may have missed, most of all, how they worked. I was just reading and not really processing what I was looking at. I thought the Horus design was a modified type of mil dot. I did not watch the videos since I couldn't play them on my work computer. At home, they worked.

but the question is, has anyone had first hand experience with the scope. I didn't find anything on the Google search. Most of the comparisons were based off the reticle, very little about the scope itself. Also, most of the links said "error processing your request" after trying to access the link.

Thanks again though. I'll keep searching.

I have owned one of the Horus scopes, and quickly returned it, as it would not hold zero.

The scopes are basically standard oriental scopes. I don't regard them as first-class scopes.

If you like the reticle, I'd recommend getting it in another scope. Horus reticles are available in U.S. Optics, Schmidt & Bender, I believe Premier Reticles, and sometime soon, Nightforce scopes.

All have better glass than the Horus scopes, and better quality all around.

However, I think in all of those scopes the Horus reticle carries a $400 premium, which is the license fee that they pay for the reticle. That may have gone up in some cases to $500.

I shot a U.S. Optics with a Horus H25 reticle for three years. I like the reticle, but many people don't.

Unless you can find someone to loan you one for an extended trial, if you buy one, you're making an expensive bet that you'll like the reticle.

Thanks Lindy. That's what I was looking for. When I googled, most if not all directed me to the Hide and was all basically removed from the database. I appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Armada,

I have one of the Hawks 3-12x50m. I say the Hawk is the best scope on the market for the price range. The quality of the optic is on par with the price tag and the reticle gives you the ability to do a lot with it.

The Horus system is one of the easiest systems to learn on and makes shooting past 300yds VERY easy.

There are some more advanced things you can do with a Horus reticle that are easier to do, since the MILRAD scale more planed out in a Horus compared to a normal MILRAD reticle.

I plan on buying more. I want one on the CZ 452, and a hunting rig. Right no my Hawk is on my 18" AR-15 and this system is the fastest I have used for the role of a SPR rifle.

I say go for it, and order a Hawk, if you do not like it, you can sale it for close to the $$$$ invested.

John

You're welcome.

And consider that you're most likely to need the speed of a holdover at relatively short distances.

With a standard mildot or mil-line reticle with 5 mils of marks below the center crosshairs, you can shoot using only holdovers out to 600 yards from a 100-yard zero with a standard .308 load.

For example, my dope for my rifle at 600 yards is 4.4 mils. So, I just hold on the target 4.4 mils below the center crosshairs from my 100 yard zero to hit a 600 yard target.

I own three Horus Scopes.One 4-16 Falcon and two 8-26 Predators.For the price I think they are great!....As of yet I can't fault them in the least.But for peace of minds sake I would rather have a USO with a HV reticule.It's just that for $3000 new I'd rather purchase other stuff.What can I say.I have too many expensive hobbies besides guns. If I only owned one Tactical rifle I'd put a USO/HV on it but like they say you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you are a CEO for AIG,haha.

The best thing about the Horus system is their ballistic program to be used in conjunction with the reticule.So nice not having to dial elevation and windage.Every time I go out Long Range shooting with my friends they are a bit disgusted how quickly and easily I am able to hit any target at any distance.Otherwise you might as well buy a Nightforce and dial if you are not going to be using the HV ballistic program.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here own a Horus rifle scope? I was curious since all I ever hear about here is USO, S & B, Laupold, Nightforce and so on. I know all these are great scopes and own a few myself, but I stumble upon Horus at the range a few weeks back. I didn't have a chance to have a look through the scope, but I did get a look as it sat on the bench.

I gues my questions are:

How is the glass, tracking, and quality overall?
Is it an impor? If so, where was it made?
How about the warranty service?

Basicaly, what all things you would look for in a scope. I know we can't say it's a custom or anything like that, but would you buy one?

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

I'll post one of my old posts below this answer, but to make sure you get answers to the q:

1. Glass - ok; tracking - shouldn't use it much if your using the reticle; quality - ok overall, but very good for the price tag

2. Most from Japan (but I don't own all their scopes, only a couple)

3. Allegedly a one-year warranty...haven't ever used the warranty but they've been helpful when I've called or e-mailed.

Overall, since I shoot using their system and I'm comfortable with it, it is good money spent if you like their system and reticle. Their software is good (I have the Atrag-MX) and I'm able to use it with my non-horus scopes effectively, so it's not a "one-trick pony"

Here's one of my prior posts:

I can't specifically comment on the raptor or hawk, but I have a Talon 1-4x and a Falcon, and would agree that the glass is similar quality to Nikon or a little less than Leupold, and definitely not as good as my Nightforce or USO. The tube and machining are also approx similar quality to Nikon. With comparison, I also have a USO SN4 (to compare to the talon) and a USO SN3 w/ H25 reticle (to compare to the Falcon). Both USO's are double the price (or more)...and are definitely double the quality in machining, construction, and glass. But that's not to say that the Horus optics are bad, they're just not USO (but neither is nikon or leupold). For Horus anything, the reticle is the key element...and if you like the Horus system, it absolutely rocks (provided you practice with it...just like anything else). I have never had a problem with either one through heavy use, but I think that a low probability of problems with the Horus scopes is in part due to the fact that you aren't constantly testing it (clicking knobs), you're using precision holdover. For short-medium distance and daytime shooting, I actually prefer them to "higher quality" optics without a Horus reticle (my Nightforce). At distances >600y and low-light shooting, the better glass starts to show its quality and the USO and Nightforce bury the Horus. They also give a hefty military discount for active duty, which is appreciated. I'd be surprised if you got it and were disappointed.

Tracking:

With the Horus Vision scope the grid reticle system is designed to be zeroed <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">ONCE</span></span>. After the scope is zeroed, the knobs <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">ARE NOT TOUCHED!</span></span> From then on, you use the grid to find your aiming point.

With IOR (and any other "standard" reticle system), you find your zero and then turn knobs to get the proper scope picture for your firing solution. Hence, with IOR (and any other "standard" reticle aiming system), how good the knobs are is of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">CRITICAL IMPORTANCE</span></span>.

So, do you want to find your firing solution and then turn knobs to get the correct point of aim? Or do you want to find the same firing solution and then use a reticle grid system for the correct point of aim?

I like using the grid system over the knob adjustment system as there is nothing mechanically involved, no movements inside the scope that need to take place.

Glass:

The glass? It's Japanese glass, as is the glass used in Nightforce scopes. It's no Schmidt and Bender, but it's not cheap glass either. I rate the glass as very good Japanese glass. That is the same rating I give Nightforce glass!

Customer Service:

I have never had a problem with Horus Vision customer service. I suggest, however, that you buy through a Horus Vision dealer ("clark_k" here on the sniper's hide) to get the best of deals and customer service combined.

I've got the predator on a .204. One shot Pdog kill at 566 yards using the reticle and my drop chart. The reticle is great for multiple targets at unknown ranges. Glass is good, turrets don't matter, FFP is key for using the reticle. Great varmint scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got the predator on a .204. One shot Pdog kill at 566 yards using the reticle and my drop chart. The reticle is great for multiple targets at unknown ranges. Glass is good, turrets don't matter, FFP is key for using the reticle. Great varmint scope. </div></div>

Yep, that's what I'm running on my custom made Jense Precision rifle!

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_02_BIG-963x469.jpg

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_12.jpg

$800 for an awesome scope. Gotta love that!

I have a Horus scope, but no software. I talked to the Horus folks and was promised software but NEVER received it. That sucks, cause as yall stated, no software=useless reticle.

Anyone know how I can get software to use with my scope?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That sucks, cause as yall stated, no software=useless reticle.
</div></div>

How so? It's just a Mil-based reticle, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Horus scope, but no software. I talked to the Horus folks and was promised software but NEVER received it. That sucks, cause as yall stated, no software=useless reticle.

Anyone know how I can get software to use with my scope?

John
</div></div>

Not true.

I have a Horus and have never used the program. Come to one of my Mil-dot classes and you will learn how to do all this on your own and you will not need a program.

John

I have a raptor on my .308. I like it very well. The software that came with mine was a disc no sd cards. I used it some till the free trial ran out. I then went to the eskimo web site that has a free calculator and set the drops to be mils and inches. printed me some dope cards and was gtg. But then, the wants over needs urge hit and i bought a hp ipaq and exbal for it. When I put correct input in the software it has never been wrong. If I miss with it it, it's because of me not the equip.

Ok, that's what I thought. In the end, hold or dial, calculator generated or field-recorded, an adjustment is just an adjustment and DOPE is just DOPE.

The Horus reticle is definitely NOT useless without the software. Boiling it all down, it simply gives you more reference points for holdover than most manufacturer's reticles. Their software does a lot of things, but doesn't do away with a basic understanding of the formulas for ranging and adjustment for long distance shooting. All the good classes and opportunities to learn will recommend bringing a pad of paper and (not required, but nice to have) a calculator...not software.

Well, maybe I can use it then. Now, keep in mind that I am an "irons and sling" kinda guy (HP/XTC/LR shooter) so scopes in general are sorta "foriegn" to me, so when I got the Horus I was a bit overwhelmed by the "activity" in that thing! Guess I will need to do some learning then. I actually now have a bunch of good glass that I have accumulated over the last couple of years but I have to admit to not using it much.

But, I will do some reading and figure out how to use the Horus then...or, if its like my Mk4, decide I dont like it and trade to a NF...which I do like. :)

Thanks guys.

John

I bought a copy of Precision Shooter's workbench and use that for my drop charts. It also has a PDA component which I loaded in my phone. There are free ballistics programs as well. In fact I have a ballistics spreadsheet that does nearly the same thing. I can email it to folks if they want it.

The Predator model that I have is an MOA reticle. Even without the software you can use the reticle to get on track when spotting your misses. Since I'm shooting a heavy .204 recoil is nil and spotting is easy at any real range. If you miss your first shot just see what line it hit under on the reticle and that's your new aim point. Very quick second shot hits at any range. Obviously not as useful in a tactical situatuion but when you're putting lots of lead downrange at dogs you get near instant corrections without a spotter. It's like a limp d**k, you can't beat it..
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, maybe I can use it then. Now, keep in mind that I am an "irons and sling" kinda guy (HP/XTC/LR shooter) so scopes in general are sorta "foriegn" to me, so when I got the Horus I was a bit overwhelmed by the "activity" in that thing! Guess I will need to do some learning then. I actually now have a bunch of good glass that I have accumulated over the last couple of years but I have to admit to not using it much.

But, I will do some reading and figure out how to use the Horus then...or, if its like my Mk4, decide I dont like it and trade to a NF...which I do like. :)

Thanks guys.

John
</div></div>

John, no sweat at all. Never mess with an "irons and sling" guy...they'll get you no matter what. The Horus is "a way" not "the way". I found it worked better for me mostly because I found that "knobology" was more distracting to me than the busy reticle. On the horus website, there are a couple articles that may be of interest to you, so check them out as your time allows. One of the things that I found after shooting with it a while, is that you become familiar enough with your holds for various ranges that when you need to use "SWAG" (Scientific Wild Ass Guess...not mine, but I love the acronym) it is a little more precise because you have so many reference points. But there is no question that at first glance, the Horus reticle can be impressively busy. Hope it helps.

I never really thought of using other ballistic programs with the HV reticules since I bought their ATRAG MP program when I bought the first scope but Yep it makes sense that you could do so.So just print off a JBM ballistics sheet in Mills or MOA/close to SMOA and that should work fine.

I never meant for people to think that the reticule was worthless without a ballistic program.What I meant was if you are going to dial anyways whats the point of using the HV-R system.

I like the busy reticle because if you miss you can see where you missed in the grid and compensate quickly.You can do so with any reticule with hack marks in it but it's easier I think with the HV-R.

Steve

I prefer the reticule that has m.o.a. hash marks. Then I can look at objects downrange and if its a known quantity I can use it to determine range. I also have a mark on my focus knob for 200 yards and 500 yards so I can have a good starting point.

I can't speak to Horus scopes but I have two Leupold Mk5 HD 5-25X56 with the H59 reticle and have come to really prefer their reticles. I have some other scopes that have a christmas tree reticle but not near the same as the Horus reticle.

More than 12 years later, I'm thinking there's a fair chance that some of the original participants in this thread are pushing up daisies now...

;)

Reactions: Retvet2009
More than 12 years later, I'm thinking there's a fair chance that some of the original participants in this thread are pushing up daisies now...

;)
Didn't even pay attention to the date of the thread. Came across this through a Google search. 🙃

Reactions: rhsc
I jumped on the Horus train early on. Paid a grand for one and thought that was outrageous! Been hunting with this setup for a long time. Now I've moved on to Desert Tech.

072.JPG

Reactions: Retvet2009