• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus Vision scopes

SIG383

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2010
South Hill/Puyallup, WA
I'm trying to decide on which scope I want to put on my 6.5x47 Lapua that's being built. After looking at the Horus Vision reticle, I like the idea a lot. How's the quality of the Horus scopes? Is there something else that would be a better suite? I will be using this rifle for hunting and tactical/competition.

Anyone out there have any first hand experience with this setup? I know you can get the reticle on Horus scopes and U.S. Optics, but haven't found anyone else that has them.

Re: Horus Vision scopes

Try the search feature. This has been covered many times over.

My take on Horus is that better reticle options exist in scope that have a much better warranty.

Sorry, I don't get a huge ammount of time to sit doing searches from my location in Iraq. Just trying to get some answers.

SIG383, thanks for serving.

SIG383, while I've never used Horus scopes, others are right in that the question has been covered many times before. To summarize: if you really like the reticle, try and get it in a better scope. That said, there are some hiders who chime in that they have a horus scope, have had no issues with it, and like it very much. I guess there's better glass and customer service in that price range.

The Horus H25 is a useful reticle, but I wouldn't get one in a Horus scope.

I have one in a USO, and use it, but probably paid too much for them (both the reticle and the scope set-up that way).

NF talked about offering them, but supply from Horus has always been unpredictable and there is no customer service - absolutely none, they don't even call back.

And the reticles themselves don't always work well when mounted in a scope and illuminated. It has something to do with the coating: if not done correctly they light up like a para-flare.

Basically, if you are interested in the Horus reticles, get one installed in a quality, reliable, dependable optic like the US Optics, etc. Also, besides Nightforce, Leupold is also set to intro their ER/T M5 lineup with Horus reticles (no idea on when these may become available, but Mike or Mason from CS Tactical may be able to give you a better idea).

The problem with the Horus scopes is that the scopes themselves suffer from quality issues and often do not hold up. That lack of quality is made more problematic because the Horus warranty and customer service might as well be non-existent. They are just not a company that seems to want to stand behind their products or take care of customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm trying to decide on which scope I want to put on my 6.5x47 Lapua that's being built. After looking at the Horus Vision reticle, I like the idea a lot. How's the quality of the Horus scopes? Is there something else that would be a better suite? I will be using this rifle for hunting and tactical/competition.

Anyone out there have any first hand experience with this setup? I know you can get the reticle on Horus scopes and U.S. Optics, but haven't found anyone else that has them. </div></div>

Horus Vision...Great reticle,mediocre quality,piss poor warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... to put on my 6.5x47 Lapua ... I will be using this rifle for hunting and tactical/competition. ...
Anyone out there have any first hand experience with this setup? </div></div>

There are real advantages of a full area MIL grid reticle. Conventional mil reticles don't give a precise position when both windage and elevation offsets are needed. The scope has windage and elevation knobs but they're only used to set the zero. The reticle makes that easy. Speed of use while retaining high precision is the main advantage.

I bought the Horus Falcon model with the H37 reticle. It's presently on a DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor which has similar ballistics to the 6.5x47 Lapua. Even at $1500 it's inexpensive compared to other scopes with the Horus reticles and I've found no other manufacturer with similar reticles. I have no idea how rugged it is. So far I've had no problems. If it has a downside it's weight, but it's a steel tube and for my use that's not a concern. I'm just doing target shooting but at variable and long range. Some shooting is to watch what happens at transoinc ranges with various bullets. There's not much published information about that. I'm also trying to learn how do dope wind, both visually and with external instruments at long range. The Horus reticle makes it fast and easy to aim and (relatively) easy to measure and correct for misses by watching dust puffs. I might pay $2000-3000 more for a USO or other top end scope if my life depended on reliability, but mine doesn't. I just wanted a decent scope with a calibrated reticle which will cover any range and wind I might want to shoot. That's the H37. The H37 reticle is designed to work with a 20MOA base, so I'm using a Nightforce 20 MOA adapter/rings which have a comfortable height on a DPMS LR-...

Would I recommend it for hunting and tactical competition?
Yes for the Horus reticle concept if you have range/wind information available in mils.tenths. Yes for the H37 only if you're shooting at a range where that much drop is ever needed. The Horus reticles are much faster and less error prone (for me at least)than knob twisting/click counting. Would I recommend the Falcon model? Yes if you don't mind a scope that's over two pounds. The H37 is only available in the Falcon.

There are lighter models. At under 8x I find the reticle hard to read and thats true for any scope with a Horus reticle. My eyesight isn't great. Check it yourself before you buy. You'll be better off with a lighter (and less expensive) model if you're not shooting over 1000 yards. I can't read the reticle on the 4x Talon model. For your application the Raptor, Blackbird, or Hawk models would be worth looking at. I've looked though most of them at a dealer, but only shot with the Falcon. They are Japanese manufactured if that matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm trying to decide on which scope I want to put on my 6.5x47 Lapua that's being built. After looking at the Horus Vision reticle, I like the idea a lot. How's the quality of the Horus scopes? Is there something else that would be a better suite? I will be using this rifle for hunting and tactical/competition.

Anyone out there have any first hand experience with this setup? I know you can get the reticle on Horus scopes and U.S. Optics, but haven't found anyone else that has them. </div></div>

Horus Vision...Great reticle,mediocre quality,piss poor warranty. </div></div>

+10000

And you forgot the wonderful customer service dept........ /sarcasm!!!

I have several scopes with the Horus H25 reticle munufactured by U.S.O., S&B and Horus.
Lou Boyd is correct.
The pyramid shaped grid allows precise aiming points for both hold over and windage.
Multiple target engagement without dialing is fast and precise.
As far as glass quality, Horus is 2nd tier compared to the others mentioned but more than adequate for tactical competitons or varmint shooting.
I have not had to call on Horus for CS, so no horror stories from me.
The H25, even at max magnification, allows the shooter a view of greater than 50% unobstucted by the reticle.
It is the most versatile reticle Horus makes, in my opinion.
Some shooters eventually "learn" how to hold over and hold off for wind simultaneously and no longer "need" the precise aiming point the grid offers.
But, I'm not there yet.

I spoke with Horus, and had a very nice experience. Found out they give military a very nice discount. I can get the Raptor for $690, Hawk for $450. For those prices, I'm thinking about it. And if I don't like it, I should be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it. Still trying to figure all this shit out. Last time I was into scopes, Leupold was top dog.

Sig, with that military discount...you can't go wrong. I am pretty sure you can get your money completey out of them even if lighty used should you not like it. In fact look me up if you don't like it. The Hawk is a great scope for hunting or a weapon that can be used for w/o dialing. I dropped a nice elk with one last November.