• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes HorusVision Scopes

anthony_se

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Wyndmoor, PA
New guy here looking for help. Any of you all own own of these scopes? If so, which one? Reticle? Your thoughts and experiences? Whom did you get it from?

thanks in advance,

tony

Re: HorusVision Scopes

The reticle is a Horus.
wink.gif

Apart from that, my mother said that if I don't have anything nice to say....

Yes, I understand that the scope itself is made by Bushnell (?) and that the reticle is available for other bodies. That said, do you have experience with the reticle? If so, regardless of what your Mom has said, I'd appreciate your feedback.

thanks,

tony

Don't bother.

Get a good Mil reticle with half-Mil hashmarks and, if you don't already know how, learn how to use it.

You'll quickly outgrow a Horus reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I understand that the scope itself is made by Bushnell (?) and that the reticle is available for other bodies. That said, do you have experience with the reticle? If so, regardless of what your Mom has said, I'd appreciate your feedback.

thanks,

tony </div></div>

Just picked one up for my 5R its a great scope for the money at the Mil pricing. I have mine set for my Match Loads but I shot a lot of my subsonics out of the gun so I know my hold very quickly with out having to jack with re zeroing for 2 majorly different loads, I have a USO sn3 with a Reticle similar to the Horus on my .338 and have looked at the Leupy with the Horus.

If you have time and will be shooting and ranging a lot of unknown distance get the mil setup and learn it. If you just want to shoot for fun and not have to spend a ton of time learning how to use the scope by the Horus and have fun. I'm glad I got it

For someone who doesn't have anything nice to say, you keep on replying to the OPs thread.

I just picked up the Bushnell/Horus HDMR a couple of weeks ago and I really like the optic. This is my first optic with a Horus reticle. I've always wanted to try a Horus, but many have said how poorly the Horus scopes were, so I always stayed away. The Bushnell HDMR seems to be a winner and if you can get the military/LE discount it's a great deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reticle is a Horus.
wink.gif

Apart from that, my mother said that if I don't have anything nice to say.... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For someone who doesn't have anything nice to say, you keep on replying to the OPs thread.</div></div>The original post was about HorusVision scopes:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you all own own of these scopes? If so, which one? Reticle? Your thoughts and experiences? Whom did you get it from?</div></div>He is asking for first-hand knowedge and experience regarding Horus Vision scopes. You are quick to criticize others, but you post only opinion:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always wanted to try a Horus, but many have said how poorly the Horus scopes were, so I always stayed away.</div></div>

In a nutshell, not the best scope out there, by a long shot, but most people buy them for the reticle anyway. Personally, I would only get one if my intention was to zero it and leave the turrets alone - ie good for a semi-auto shooting mid-range
wink.gif

Why would you not dial up? The reticle works just like any other but with more reference lines. Range, dial, shoot. If you miss you can either hold for a follow up or or dial in your correction - just like any other scope.

I Shot at 920 earlier today. Low .2 mils and left .7 mils... no wind, go figure. I held for my follow up shot and killed my rock.
5-30-11.jpg

The scope is proving to be a good value.
T

Hey guys, thanks for the scoop. the HDMR is alleged by Horus to be available to civilians sometime during June. It's closer to what I can afford, with a reticle that looks serviceable for what I intend to use it for, and the absence of illumination doesn't matter because I'm not going to be shooting in reduced illumination environments. While sunlight and/or similarly colored backgrounds might wash out a reticle, and sometimes a highlighted reticle can help with that, the range I will be shooting at doesn't have those problems.

I appreciate first-hand experiences as well as opinions from all of you all who care to comment. I'm pretty inexperienced on the learning curve so that all input is good. And again, thanks for your help.

TAC: good hit on the rock
smile.gif
I'll be it never raises its ugly head again
laugh.gif

tony

Hey doc,

I have a couple of the Horus Vision scopes. I also have the 27 reticle in a USO TPAL 3x17. I like the reticle, but admit it is not for everyone, it is a love it or not kinda thing.

As far as the scopes themselves, if you have a good one it's fine. OK glass, for what it is, not up to NF, USO, certainly not a Schmidt or PR ( I can say that, I own all those). If you have one that has issues, well... you po SOB. Horus is not known for their customer service, I had one bad out of the box, parallax knob was stuck. Distributor warrantied it for me, but Horus stuck him. Keep in mind this was a new out of the box unit.

Waiting on a S&B with the H58 reticle now. I don't prefer the 37, it covers too much of the view. The H27 is very nice also, presently my favorite.

Ask me anything else I did not cover, either here or by PM. Hope this helps.

Mikee,

thank you, sir, and, indeed, the issue of customer service and a bad scope out of the box, together with only a one-year warranty, troubles me as well. I like the concept behind the reticle, and if I could afford a higher-end scope with either the H58 or the H27, I'd buy it. Perhaps my best move is to get a low-end fixed-power SS to use while I save up money for a USO or S&B.

Quick question: some scopes appear to provide a much larger range of diopter correction (for those of us geezers who might need that) than does the scope body Horus uses. E.g., IOR appears to go from +/- 4. If you've had need for that on your scope, do you find the correction values to be sufficient?

thanks again,

tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you not dial up? The reticle works just like any other but with more reference lines. Range, dial, shoot. If you miss you can either hold for a follow up or or dial in your correction - just like any other scope.

I Shot at 920 earlier today. Low .2 mils and left .7 mils... no wind, go figure. I held for my follow up shot and killed my rock.
5-30-11.jpg

The scope is proving to be a good value.
T </div></div>

Your particular scope is basically a new top line Bushnell with H-58 reticle.All the 4200 series Bushnells I've owned tracked well.

The other "Horus brand" line of scopes aren't known to track so great.One out of 5 that I've owned tracked OK.One other I bought used was broke.Fortunately for me the guy I bought it from took it back.The other 3 I use with holdovers only.

Tony,

The diopter correction is fine, I don't use it much, my eyes are still pretty good. My Blind Melon buddy though.... he gets a full crank on it. He can use it ok on the Horus.

I think the best advice is the same I got. Hold the exact scope you are buying and check it out before buying. Don't count on Horus.

Or, save the bucks for the S&B when it is available, the USO is GTG too.

I'd like to check out the new Bushnell HDMA scopes, they are cheaper and I am reading good things there. I like that they are shorter, like a Hensoldt, which I like very much.