• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hosting British Scouts at our Range

wilb

Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2006
White Sulphur Springs, WV
We are planning a day for about 24 British Scouts at our range. They will be in two groups, and we're planning a 2-1/2 hour shoot for each group. I've got enough help to closely supervise with 1 adult for each 2 shooters.

I thought we'd shoot some ARs, some clays with 12 and 20 ga., and some .22 rifles. Also thought it would be neat to shoot some old Lend / Lease Enfields that the Scouts' fathers and Grandfathers might be familiar with. We will cover safety and a quick BRM, but this is more of chance for these kids to shoot something they will have very little chance of ever shooting at home.

Handguns are a possibility, but I want to be careful to strictly follow the Youth Handgun Safety Act.

I'm looking for comments, ideas and suggestions to make this a memorable event for the Scouts. They are in WV for a 2 week exchange with our local troop who will visit the UK next year.

Re: Hosting British Scouts at our Range

As far as suggestions I can't offer any. However I must say how awesome this is. I loved scouts as a kid. My grandfather was involved for almost 40 years and I was the first son to come along in the family for him to be involved with. I made eagle around 15 and the troop disolved about a year later. Recently been thinking of getting involved again, but I dont know of a local troop anymore. I wish I had better input or some way to help out. It's great for young guys. Hats off to you on this.
C

Re: Hosting British Scouts at our Range

That's really cool. I was a boy scout when I was young but I always grew up shooting. I think it's really cool that they will be able to get to see how much fun shooting some "scary black rifles" will be.

Sorry I don't have anything constructive for you. lol.

AAR, British Scouts at our Range

Our range event went perfectly with 20 Brit Scouts and 4 adult leaders.

Each Scout shot 30 rounds thru an AR-15 Rifle; a few that were cross eye dominant or not strong enough to hold the rifle used a lightweight carbine with Aimpoint and adj. stock. They fired three groups of ten, and were mostly on target by the third relay. We were shooting at neon colored copy paper with a contrasting Post-it-Note in the middle; a concession to Scout rules regarding appropriate targets.

Next, we shot two FALs (DSA SA-58)s, and 2 Enfields, one British Gun and one Savage US Property gun. I'm not real familiar with the .303, but fortunately one leader was, and he tuned us all up. The scouts much prefered shooting the bigger rifles.

We finished up shooting 2 .38 S&Ws and 2 S&W .22s for the remainder of our time.

I was impressed, especially with the younger and very petite lady scouts in the group, They had to be around 90 lbs., and while the had had enough of the FAL at a couple rounds, they handled the Mk 5 Enfields proficiently.

With only a few hours, the BRM was basic, but enough for these kids to be safe and hit their targets; and they had a great time. None of the group could identify the AR, one correctly called the DS Arms SA-58 as an SLR, and at least 8-10 knew what the Enfield was.

They were eager to learn, and I can say that the spirit of the rifleman is nowhere near extinct in the UK

Re: AAR, British Scouts at our Range

Wilb;
I would like to offer my thanks to you and all those that helped those kids.
I too was a scout in the UK and enjoyed every minute of it. And you're right, the controls are so stringent here, I'm sure many of those who crossed the pond will never get the chance to fire anything like that again.
The spirit of the Rifleman isn't dead over here - just dormant..