• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HOURS of research but please help me setup for success. Have had the itch to join long range precision for several years.

Medicsniper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2019
Goal:

A sub moa rifle out of the box (or with very few alterations) that is capable of 1000 yard shots and can take hogs (eradication and an excuse to hunt/eradicate a varmint species over the next few months) at several hundred yards for under $1000 or VERY close. I would prefer AICS compatable mags as i have several already. I know tikka can be expensive for mags. 22-24 inch barrel would be preferred due to velocity over weight concerns.

Background:

I grew up hunting and shooting. Have shot almost everything under the sun and consider myself a decent marksman. Have shot hunting contoured barrels to 400 with accuracy on paper (sub moa as long as I waited for the barrel to cool and held my fundamentals ignoring how much a .308 kicked after an afternoon of shooting a lightweight rifle). I have spent several years in professional school unable to hunt much and shoot even less for fun. I finally have some free time and access to a range with 1000 yards as well as a "random" section with unmarked steel at unknown distance for a true test of my skills and learning this craft. I would like to finally enter the arena of long range shooting to truly test my abilities and learn more.

Gear and questions:

- I have a vortex viper gen II pst 5-25x50 ffp and the desire to learn how to be effective at distance as a true marksman should be.
- My question is what is the best "budget" rifle to accomplish my goals? And have I overlooked anything listed below in my research?
- I know weight is big factor for some. It is less so for me. I played college football and am still decently strong and fully capable of hauling a larger rifle if it will get me sub Moa at 1000 assuming I do my part and it doesn't kick the crap out of my bad shoulder (college football has it price). By my estimation this will be 70% range gun with the occasional trip to clear hogs from family land and any distance I feel confident I can make a good shot.
- I have shot .308 extensively as both a hunting round and my modest attempts to stretch distance out. I have decided on venturing into 6.5 creedmore as i know its ballistics are better at the ranges i want and they do offer bullet grains weights in both a hunting round and match round that should be easily interchangable (ELD-M vs ELD- X) no plan to reload. Plan to shoot factory ammo as time and budget is already strained with this build.

OPTIONS and Thoughts but feel free to correct me

Bergara HMR B14 HMR ----- from my research seems to be my favorite. 999+/- reviews seem accurate, mid-weight, Adjustable stock since I'm a bigger guy, good trigger.

Bergara BMP ----- similar to above but the price is somewhat higher. I don't care as much about the added weight but wonder if the chasis will improve accuracy? I'm not interested in looking tacti-cool just for the sake of it. If it truly shoots better maybe worth the extra weight and money. Barrel length of 2 inch difference helps FPS some but may be negligible assuming i do my part and hold the correct dope at distance

Tikka CTR --- Great action. The rifle I mentioned shooting above is a Tikka. However the stock is less than ideal so paying for another stock adjustments to get a truly good fit with my body type is a drawback.

Howa Australian Precision Chassis Rifle --- have never owned a Howa but have read limited good reviews. Price is right as is the barrel length. Less reviews per my finding however and unsure what to think?

Remington 700 magpul --- Remington 5R rifling, good weight, 899 at my local BPS, would need to replace the trigger probably, stock has mixed reviews, good barrel length and stock adjustablility.

Mossberg MVP Precision --- less known for rifles than shotguns. I have never had one but good reviews. Not a fan of the safety mechanism.

What did i miss, I either in setup, rifle, or anything else? I would love to pool the opinions and real world experience this forum is known for to get the best setup to reach my goals. Thanks in advance for the time to read and comment!!

Reactions: doctordoctor
You've laid out a very nice 1st post, I'll give you that. That budget though - gotta admit it's pretty tight. Don't let @TheGerman see this!

There is only one rifle on that list I would consider personally and that's the Tikka CTR. What you get for the money in the Tikka lineup is pretty impressive. The RPR (Ruger Precision Rifle) would be another solid choice if you could swing the funds.

I have zero experience with anything else on your list outside of the R700 Magpul, but that's just another R700 really. I am sure you will get some others that can chime in. You're going to generally get more biased positive reviews in the budget arena simply because of the entry cost. Less to be expected, less to complain about. You go and drop $15K on a full AI setup, you're going to be mighty picky about everything on that system.

oh.jpg

If you are stuck at the $1k entry, the 700 platform is the place to be. Infinitely up-gradable. Best selection of aftermarket parts, and every competent gunsmith can improve them with their eyes closed. The biggest concern with that particular 700 is the short barrel. More weight is easier to learn with, and your giving up a fair amount of velocity. I would look for something with a 26" heavy varmint barrel and throw a stock under it - not sure Rem has them in 6.5. They are 308 and 243 for sure. The other thing is that magpul stock - not a fan. Decent shape, but still flimsy. Better than a hunter stock I guess.

Buy a Howa barreled action in 6.5CM and drop it in an XLR Element chassis and you'll have AI mags. Top it with your PST2 and done.

Tikka CTR all day long. If a stock pack doesn't help, KRG Bravo with the CTR inlet that will let you swap over the factory DBM.

I've owned the HMR, as well at the CTR.

HMR con: the coating on the barrel and action isn't very rust resistant. Barrel taper is a little thinner than what I wanted.
HMR pro: nice stock. aics mags. r700 parts fit.

CTR con: non adjustable stock. mine has 20" barrel
CTR pro: very accurate. great action. good trigger. better finish than hmr.

You can get the Remington in a 6.5, I agree with 346 though.

Nice first post, by the way. Not the 'Please spoon-feed me' bullshit that seems to be so common around here these days. Thank you.

I will chime in on your question then like every other opinionated soul I will offer some food for thought and why:

With your 6.5 Creedmoor selection and desire to have as little modification out of the box etc I can suggest a few options and my reasons:

1. Rueger Precision Rifle ( look for a gen 2 ) - I purchased one. I shoot it a lot. Its a very good offering as it sits. I shot it for 1.5 years as it came new before I had the itch to do any personal mods / upgrade it. Trigger is very good, comes with a built in 20 MOA rail, factory brake and accepts both mag styles. It shoots all factory ammo minus the Remmington stuff, amazingly. Handloads...lights out and its far more capable of a rifle then I am a marksmen. Weight is on the high side but like you I abused my body for 27 years for Uncle Sam and my shoulders aren't the greatest. The weight and brake make it very comfortable to shoot. I am a fairly fit guy otherwise and I have used this to ring steel, punch paper and cull Hogs down here near Boerne TX. Factory barrel has been a pleasant surprise and I am over 2600 rnds and it still shoots great. I have purchased a few barrels in different calibers ( I like to tinker ) and it allows me to go from 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 and 308 in 15 min ( so in the future if you decide to expand your interests ) it just takes an AR wrench, some gauges and a solid vise.

2. Bergera HMR - My good friend purchased this rifle at the same time I bought my RPR. We often swap seats and drive the others rig. Its a very good rifle. I like the factory stock...its comfortable. Trigger is good. Not on par with the RPR ( has a little more creep when you adjust it down to lower pulls )but when set to 3lbs its nearly identical. Its about 1.3 lbs lighter as his sits then my RPR so shooting the same factory loads his feels like it kicks a bit more. Not even close to being bad mind you just noticeable. He had to get a brake installed but he also shoots suppressed so once that goes on its very very mild. Very smooth action and since its a R700 clone it has a lot of aftermarket support. Factory ammo out of his is very good but his hates anything from Federal it seems so he sticks to Hornady stuff. Hand loads we found it just as easy to tune as any Creedmoor.

I don't have any hands on with the others you listed ( well with those EXACT models ) but I do have some hands on with other models by the manufacturers.

Mossberg - I have a MVP LC in 5.56/223 that I got for my daughter to shoot. Its a solid little rifle that I have done nothing to other then slap the same scope you have on it for her. She has put 4K rounds down that thing and its still going strong. It doesn't shoot as well as other rifles in the same chamberings but for her its a great rifle and fits her well. The precision line that Mossberg created looks like a solid offering but the action/bolt has some play in it. Doesn't feel as refined or smooth. Its durable though. Trigger is OK. No creep but it doesn't adjust as well as it claims ( says will adjust down to 2.5 but lowest I got it was 3.7....without modding anything.

Howa - I purchased a barreled action and put it in a aftermarket stock. Its a smooth rifle. Shoots really well. Bolt knob is a little small ( football player so I am guessing you got some big old meat hooks and grabbing danty things isn't very comfortable ) but that's fixable with aftermarket add ons. You will also have to get some different aftermarket bottom metal plates depending on your purchase to get it to work with different mags. Their fully factory assembled products are good and the accuracy is there.

Tikka - smoothest factory assembled rifles I have cycled so far. Harder to find heavier barreled options though. The chassis models fix that and the fit form and function will be as good and in some cases better then the RPR ( action is smoother out the gate on the Tikka but with a little use the RPR has caught up ) Decent aftermarket support for Tikkas but proprietary mags if I recall....I could be wrong and if so its moot and disregard. All Tikkas I have gotten behind have been good shooting rifles and their owners love them. Lighter then the RPR even in the chassis models so like the Bergera it feels like it kicks more.

Remmingtons - Honestly if you have shot a factory Remmy 700 then you know what you are getting. Trigger is mediocre but lots of aftermarket support and simply the easiest to mod/upgrade/improve upon. Factory barrels are my only concern. Last few years there has been gripe of lacking QA and some barrels have had corrosion brand new out the box, rough finishing and worn Bluing treatment. Not enough to say its a trend but enough to say if you get one inspect it thoroughly before you buy. Any issues Remmington is easy to work with so its not like your screwed but its not what we like to do with a brand new rifle. I enjoy my Rem in 7mm08 and it by far has the most use ( its my oldest action )

Now that is said I will toss in some more thought and have you ask yourself this: Is 1k all your looking for or you thinking " As far as the Creedmoor can go " I ask because there is a option on the table that some may cringe at but it doesn't make it any less true: 6.5 Grendel in a bolt action.
Grendel can make it to 1k ( but that's about it...maybe a 100 yds more....) is even less mild to shoot then the Creedmoor, better barrel life and excels at varmint control and even hunting yotes, deer, hogs etc....if your shooting factory ammo there are just enough choices for all your needs ( hunting, varminting and target). I was recently introduced to the caliber and like many said " its for ARs...." but I looked and built one off the Howa Mini Action. Rueger also makes one in their Predator line that takes the mags you desire and will do what you want it to do out the box with room to grow later. Has a threaded heavier barrel for those extended strings. Only issue with the Ruegers are the factory stocks. Not comfortable to shoot prone and flexs. Otherwise they are proven shooters. My Howa is quickly becoming a favorite. I have already shot to 1k with it and its logged 4 hogs and a deer in the 2 months I have owned it ( all shooting factory Hornady SST ammo) and my handloads are showing even more promise.

Now the Grendel will need more dialed in corrections/holdovers cause it travels slower but its very manageable. Just food for thought. Not saying its better just saying it fits what your looking to do right now. The Creedmoor has more room to grow so definitely the way to go if you think your going to. Which lets face it...probably will once that steel rings out to you from 1k the first time. Good luck and happy shooting!

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
As much as I like Tikka I’d lean towards the Bergara HMR for the stated application of a sub-$1k out of the box range/hunting mix rifle. Being based on 700 platform allows for more upgrade options later. Hmmm... CTR in a Bravo would be sweet though....

Either way, since you already have the glassi I’d make getting a can the next priority - shooting suppressed was a game changer for me, particularly when hog hunting. Great first post Btw...

Reactions: Cape_hunter
There are a bunch of good rifles right around the $1k range that you can pick from and you have listed most of them.
One thing however to think about, is if you get seriously into range work, you'll probably find yourself soon spending just as much upgrading parts to fit you / work a bit better.

While double your budget, it would be worth looking at this rifle package that Frank put together, it has everything you'd want pretty much right from the get go, including a folding stock which can be great for transport.

Someone posted it, we have ton the work for you, follow the link above for more details, but first:
View attachment 7014248

$1950 for this setup,

After this, I would recommend an AI AT if you truly want a "sniper rifle"

But we spec'd this rifle out to help shooters make a buying decision and not have to upgrade after the fact. You can change our spec for the options listed and more, but we made this package so you can just add a scope and drive on.

View attachment 7014249

These will hit the street the end of February.

https://www.ashburyprecisionordnance.net/snipers-hide

Reactions: fanninland
Keep in mind a RPR can be had in 6mm Creedmoor for under $800. Throw in a custom barrel and sell the factory RPR barrel and you have a rifle that’s as accurate as most customs for around 1100-1200.

Obviously it won’t be as refined, but you get accuracy and reliability on a budget.

Keep in mind a RPR can be had in 6mm Creedmoor for under $800. Throw in a custom barrel and sell the factory RPR barrel and you have a rifle that’s as accurate as most customs for around 1100-1200.

Obviously it won’t be as refined, but you get accuracy and reliability on a budget.

Seriously the sub $800 6creed Ruger precision should end any of these conversations, dont even take the damn barrel off it will most likely shoot lights out.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-72.html

there your done now go shooting.

Another vote here for the RPR and Bergara for your price point. In fact all of your stated options are pretty good with the exception of the Remington due to its QC issues it could end up costing more to get to your accuracy requirement.

Imho a 5r or the hmr.
I do not have any trigger time behind the Howa or tikka.

I think this is a good step to eventually move up to a built to spec shooter.

I would never suggest not going custom but would suggest spending the money on range time, ammo and training. You may find in doing so your tastes or requirements change from where they are now.

Cheers

Seriously the RPR for $789 shipped.... Buy it, Shoot the snot out of it.... learn what you like and dislike then go custom and here's the best part... sell the RPR for pretty much $800 or close on armslist or whatever local shooting classifieds you have.

The only and I do mean ONLY argument I see against this is if grabagun or the other companies stop with the cheap rpr's or if your left handed.

No brainer.