• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

House fire update...it's almost over.

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    As many of you know, I had a house fire in February. Progress so far has been slow to get it repaired. Lots of setbacks, unexpected repairs, and getting materials has been a challenge.

As of today, the exterior of the house is basically complete, and we couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Now the main focus will be the interior, and getting us moved back in by October.

HVAC, plumbing, and electrical should be completed within the next few weeks. The entire roof system has been replaced, and all of the siding and exterior doors were replaced as well.

20200811_170626.jpg

20200811_170823.jpg

20200811_170930.jpg

20200811_170951.jpg

20200811_170913.jpg

Don't mind the yard, it's a disaster and has yet to be cleaned up. And my lawn mower and weed eater were stolen a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
    The Mustang is still in the body shop. Insurance had to step in recently and help resolve some issues. I'm hoping I can bring it home before the first major snow and they salt the roads. If not I'll have to find an enclosed trailer to bring it home with.

I'm not posting pictures of it yet either. I actually haven't seen it since it was painted...again. I plan on going down there Saturday so fingers crossed it looks better than the first time it was painted.

It was a Stihl FS38 with a plastic blade conversion. I'll get another one, it just sucks I have to spend $130 or so.

The mower was a Toro Recycler 22 front drive. A basic model, nothing fancy.

I'm going to buy a zero turn (Kubota Kommander 48") from work so I should have that covered.

Jm, i was gonna mention the yard but read about the thievery. Assholes. I wouldnt worry to much with cutting it. Will be cold enough soon to kill it off.
    thieves suck

I'm a little worried about the code enforcement officers writing me a ticket. Hopefully they realize its a construction site and leave it alone.

Reactions: Bender
    Congrats on the repairs. It all looks good. I hope you get back into your home as soon as possible.

Good Luck!

Hope they don't run the Powerlines over the roof!
    Hope your moved in before the snow.

The power lines will be overhead still, but they will go to the back garage corner and not over the roof. The mast will also be above the roof to meet code.

I asked about burying the power, cable, and phone lines, but they said "if they buried mine they would have to bury everybody's". I even thought about digging the trench myself, but it crosses the alley and I'm sure the city would throw a complete fit about that.

Reactions: Duc
    Haven't updated in awhile....

All the utilities are roughed in and the first round of inspections are done. The interior now has drywall, texturing, and the base color of paint on the walls. Cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom were installed yesterday and flooring starts this week. The walls look sorta blue, but they are gray.

20200929_132137.jpg

20200929_132149.jpg

Templates for the granite countertops happens Friday, and then it will be 3 weeks before they are ready.

So it will be early November before we can move back in. People have suggested we move in while waiting for the countertops and other finishing touches, but the house was condemned after the fire and we need a final inspection and a certificate of occupancy before we will be allowed to move back in.

Just a few more weeks and another $65k on top of the insurance money and we will finally have our house back.

The Mustang is still a shit show, and I really don't want to talk about it.

Good deal brother, keep your head up. if you need help with anything light,let me know. I cant do much bit I can grill like a mother fucker and offer rude comments all day long.

Fuck thieves. If you need a lawn mower or weed wacker I can bring one up to you.

Doc

@MtnCreek hooked me up with a weedeater, and I got a 48" zero turn mower from work real cheap.

I want to host a Snipershide BBQ at my house for the locals and anyone who wants to make the journey after we are settled back in. My house is small but the yard is pretty big.
    I’m there. Let me know if you need any quick help. I’m gone a lot for work but home most nights.

Fuck this is a slow process. Wish there was a way to press a button to speed this crap up. FWIW, things will be better than before once it's done.

@MtnCreek hooked me up with a weedeater, and I got a 48" zero turn mower from work real cheap.

I want to host a Snipershide BBQ at my house for the locals and anyone who wants to make the journey after we are settled back in. My house is small but the yard is pretty big.

Me and some of my boys down Denver way will be there!!
    They are members and read, just are not as addicted to the Hide as me, yet.....

lemme know if there is anything I can help with.
    I mostly smell bad and say rude stuff like @Doc68.
    I can be mildly useful at times. 😁

• Haha
    Reactions: Doc68
    There really isn't anything that needs done on the house by me, the contractor has that handled and we have paid them well for the work. The yard on the other hand is in need of a complete redo. I plan on installing a sprinkler system, and getting the grass looking good to go with my new old house.

If I were in any way closer, I'd be there to lend a hand. It wouldn't be much though, as I've only got the one to lend. (the other is perpetually on the cane)

But I too can holler, direct, criticize, wail-moan-and-even-rend-clothing. And taste-test the Bourbon. (gotta make sure it isn't poison, and ensure that it don't spoil)

Am I helping yet?

Do you REALLY want help?

My car is now home. It isn't 100% done but I grew very tired and very frustrated with that shop, and it was close enough to being done. I can fix most of the issues still present.

We got the Certificate of Occupancy approval on the house yesterday, so we can move in within a matter of days. All that is left is the touch up paint, final coat on the refinished original wood floors, and one last clean up.

The house looks great inside and out, and we can't wait to move back in. This year has been a complete shit show, but hopefully my wife and I will return to a normal life.

20201114_123609.jpg

20201114_123600.jpg

20201114_123548.jpg

Hey man, congratulations on being able to get back in. I've known people over the years that were displaced and never able to move back home.

You know, God always gives us stuff that they know we can handle. Why don't they give stuff like this to people that can't handle it and call it a learning experience. I mean, if you know that it can be handled beforehand done that kind of defeat the purpose...lol

Anyway, glad things are getting back on track

I don't drink alcohol so no kegger. But I will be hosting a BBQ next spring or summer. Anyone here who wants to attend is more than welcome. Bring your own beer or preferred beverage.

Reactions: Jscb1b and Bender
    There are a few blemishes in the paint. The fog lights are damaged (I think the shop turned them on while covered in masking tape), the sunroof needs rebuilt, window trim needs repainted, headlights replaced, etc. It looks better in the pictures than it does in person. It also needs new window tint.

There are a few blemishes in the paint. The fog lights are damaged (I think the shop turned them on while covered in masking tape), the sunroof needs rebuilt, window trim needs repainted, headlights replaced, etc. It looks better in the pictures than it does in person. It also needs new window tint.
    Insurance taking care of all this?

We borrowed $65k to finish the house. The bathroom remodel was on us along with orher upgrades, and our total dwelling coverage was maxed out. Even after the refinance to borrow money for the house, we still owe about $40k less than it is now worth.