• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

House Ham gear

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
The photos are of the set up I use in the house. The Radio is a Kenwood TS 2000 which to me is almost the swiss army knife of Ham Radios.
Tuner is a Ameriton ATR20, Amp a Ameriton AL80B, Power supply a Astron VS35m, Hex rotating via CDE & Ham IV. Antenna switch a Alpha Delta 4 feeding a fullwave + 80meter loop, 1/2 wave 80 meter NVIS, Hex Beam for 20 to 10 and a dedicated 60 meter CF dipole. The 2 meter 1.25 & 440 are on a J-pole up at 40AGL. The speakers on the left are the HF side, the right side is the sub side (2meters & down) Mic is a Heil PR781 & The CW paddle is a bencher.
Digital interface is a Signal link USB feeding an off camera laptop. Don't have to use the tuner much at all as most all antennas are either 1-1 or less then 3-1 on the freqs I use most, but its there just in case. (When using the amp I make sure its 1-1 prior to keying up). The HF Portables are all Kenwood as will, but stay in a F-cage unless being used. Main HT is Yeasu VX6R but have many UV5R fangs that are used for training FNG's. PTT peddle is on the floor. The bench below is where I also load plus do electronic tinkering, so I can multi task.
What type gear you guys running?

Attachments

• CIMG0196.JPG
    CIMG0196.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 57
  • CIMG0197.JPG
    CIMG0197.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 51
  • CIMG0198.JPG
    CIMG0198.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I have not gotten much deeper than 70cm/2m. Have a yaesu 2980 in garage to an omni ant on roof. Have a tyt mobile set up that has yet to make it in my new truck. I keep cpl hts in truck with roll up home made j-poles I can use.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I have not gotten much deeper than 70cm/2m. Have a yaesu 2980 in garage to an omni ant on roof. Have a tyt mobile set up that has yet to make it in my new truck. I keep cpl hts in truck with roll up home made j-poles I can use.
HF will be the go to for event info should anything get cranked up. An like all wars comms will be the first to go w/a side order of intentional confusion added. Even a simple Shortwave radio would be handy. One of these w/a wire roll up antenna is in my get home pack all the time, but I also carry a Yeasu VX6R in there as well. The rides I take on trips >30miles are EMP proof, as Murphy has always been my shadow.

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
No not right now. Its a ctr fed dipole cut for 3.6Mhz (130ft to start then tuned) at 9' AGL, w/a director directly under it on the ground but 5% longer. I prefer the director 6" off the ground and as tight as a banjo string, but moving it every time to mow & people tripping over it all the time got old. If it all goes to shit I'll change it to what works better over this dirt though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1911hombre
I have not used my Ham for several years, but I have all the stuff just in case of an emergency.

My car rig and my house rig are the same.

The radio is a Kenwood D710. I have it wired to get power from the cigarette lighter plug. In different scenarios I can put it in my car or anyone else's car in about 5 minutes or less.

I also bought a power supply device that plugs into the wall. It modulates the current to be radio friendly. It has several outlets including a cigarette lighter socket so I have continuity for almost any situation.

If a buddy wants to go on a road trip in his car to go camping I'm good. If I'm stuck at home for whatever reason I'm good there too. If the lights are out for any extended time I can just transmit or monitor from my car or I could use a small generator.

If I need to be on foot I have a hand held with a standard battery and an extra battery that is either double or triple the capacity of the standard battery.

I have not gotten into anything beyond local type communication. There are lots of repeaters in the area but even without those I have a useful area of coverage.

There are lots of repeaters in the area but even without those I have a useful area of coverage.
Remember line of sight is king with many things RF. The club I use to belong to has what is known as a high altitude repeater. I can trip/use it from 275miles away using just 3 watts. A bud lives in N/W Ga. and I can tag two repeaters close to him that, from his QTH (aka home) he can't assess do to the bumps in the ground near him. Even though his antenna is at 50' agl and he is throwing 50 watts at it vs my HT & 5 watts.

Reactions: Herb Stoner