• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HOUSTON AREA FOLKS: What's the best rifle range in the area?

bscullane

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2020
Looking for a rifle range in the Houston area where I can dial my rifle out past 150....city folk problems.

ASC is your only game in town for long(ish) range. You need to qualify at 300 to shoot the 400 and 600 yard range. 5 shots, and 5 shots only, inside a 6" circle at 300 to qualify. But, they all have to be within the 6" circle printed on the target, not within 6" anywhere on the target.

If you aren't afraid to drive a bit further, the CCC range in Cawthon (where Texas Precision Matches holds their events) has steel out to 1100. I believe it is a $20 per day fee for non-members, but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: Don-n-Texas
Again ASC is your best bet just don't go anywhere near the 100 yard range just before rifle season opening unless they have changed the rules and alow shooting the dangerous morons that have no business with a firearm.
The 300, 400 and 600 yard ranges are usually pretty wide open you just need to qualify for the 600 range as stated above.
That's if you can shoot at 2moa at the 300 yard line 🤣🤣

Reactions: Don-n-Texas
I really appreciate the responses guys! I will definitely check out both places. haha! I hear you on that I usually go out to private properties to shoot. If you ever need to reassure yourself of why you need a CHL, just go out to some of these ranges in the Houston area and you'll have your reassurance!

I really appreciate the responses guys! I will definitely check out both places. haha! I hear you on that I usually go out to private properties to shoot. If you ever need to reassure yourself of why you need a CHL, just go out to some of these ranges in the Houston area and you'll have your reassurance!

There is another one I used to go to out around Spring when I lived there but i think it only goes to 200 yards but was usually alot less people.

There is another one I used to go to out around Spring when I lived there but i think it only goes to 200 yards but was usually alot less people.
Was it Hot Wells? Shot there once, never again...

Was it Hot Wells? Shot there once, never again...

Can't remember, when I just wanted chrono data or take the kids to burn up a brick of 22lr ammo would go there.
Did Hot Wells have really crappy benches, chicken wire to hang targets on at 100 yard line and some goofy ass wobbly elevated structure to shoot out of on the far right near theclays range ?

Can't remember, when I just wanted chrono data or take the kids to burn up a brick of 22lr ammo would go there.
Did Hot Wells have really crappy benches, chicken wire to hang targets on at 100 yard line and some goofy ass wobbly elevated structure to shoot out of on the far right near theclays range ?
Crappy benches? Check. I don't know about the rest. When I was there, they had someone that came around to your bench and hung the targets for you. But, it is also the range where a guy in the parking lot got shot in the head by another guy in a shed doing some sort of repair on a rifle. Pulled the trigger without checking the chamber and blew a hole in the customer's head. When I was there it seemed like a hot mess, without the manslaughter...

Crappy benches? Check. I don't know about the rest. When I was there, they had someone that came around to your bench and hung the targets for you. But, it is also the range where a guy in the parking lot got shot in the head by another guy in a shed doing some sort of repair on a rifle. Pulled the trigger without checking the chamber and blew a hole in the customer's head. When I was there it seemed like a hot mess, without the manslaughter...

Damn that's messed up, if it was out around spring I'm sure that was it.
The only other range I went to other than ASC was over around Goober Mountain were most of the local PD trained and qualified.
Decent range for 100 yard work ups and decent pistol range but RO's were a little up tight but that is pretty much every range around Houston for obvious reasons.
I'm not patient enough to deal with the fuck knuckles day in and day out without loosing my temper.
A coworker when I lived there was really heavy into FTR and F-class open and had a membership to Bayou gun club if the OP wants to go that route.
Locked gate entry and locked after entering.

Reactions: bscullane
You're a bit mistaken. It's not the need to carry a gun it's the need for gun laws... LOL after working at a public gun range I now firmly believe there needs to be an idiot test to buy a gun... of course I think we need that to be a parent also.

Like others have said, in the Houston area American Shooting Center is the place to go. Getting your long-range certifications real simple. I did mine prone with a sling, probably should have done it off hand ... LOL.
If you want a private range out to a thousand yards and can afford it there's one in Eagle Lake, CCC as mentioned, and Bayou Rifle Club, membership-only maybe a hundred slots open up a year at this place.

I'm not political but I think we all are aware of how sensitive of a subject gun laws are... whether you are pro or not lets be real here their isn't a middle ground (look at the stimulus). This is the age of agreeing to disagree. In the mean time I'll use my training and awareness to protect myself and family from these people who don't fully understand the 4 weapon safety rules or lack the awareness of the weapon or the weapons muzzle.