• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Houston Texas Shooters..

Stevo3556

Texas
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Houston, Texas
Wondered if there were any Hide members looking for a long distance place to shoot in the Houston area. I have a couple pieces of land in the east Houston area that I shoot 1200 yards on regularly, could go further. Mostly LR rifle shooting, but also do some tactical pistol and carbine shooting.
We are interested in learning from others that are shooting long range, have some tactical training, and or compete in LR/tactical shooting.
Steve

Last edited:
Shooting you a PM

Few of us are shooting on the west side to around 1k but I wouldn't mind switching up the location and meeting up with a few others.

Really excited to see this! I plan on moving back to Houston in a few years and figured i would have to drive hours for anything over a few hundred yards.

I have keys to two sand pits/hayfield just east of Baytown. We have been shooting every Saturday for a couple years. Normally set up 1000 to 1200 yards, but plan on moving back a hundred yards at a time and see how far we can go. Only issue has been we shoot to the east and normally have gusty winds from the south. Learning that reading the wind has become very important and the next big learning curve. I have steel that we hang at 300, 500, 700, 850, and 1000 yards, and move back from there.

Reactions: Lonestar1027
Lone star when are you moving back? What are you shooting? What is your experience shooting? Competition? Professional?

I have another 3 years in the Navy and then my wife and I want to settle down on the Southwest side. I'm currently building a 6.5 CM on a Nucleus Action, PVA barrel, BnA trigger. I compete, but only started recently. Went to the SH Team Challenge in Colville this year and I have the GAP Grind this fall. Far from a professional, but an eager enthusiast. I know we are years away from permanently living there, but I'll definitely reach out when I visit if I happen to travel with my rifles.

Yes please look me up when you visit Houston. Thank you for your service.
We don't compete, might later. Just working on our skills. Learning equipment, shooting skills, and marksmanship. We can put a first shot hit on any target IF we read the wind correctly. The way the trees are there is varying wind along the range.

I'm in the Cypress area, and I'm in the process of building out my first serious long rifle. Most of my shooting is tactical pistol/carbine work, lately it's been all sporting clays. I used to shoot in an IDPA club, I'd be interested in finding local ranges that let me get a little more working room beyond ASC's 300/600 yard range.
As far as I know, there's the CCC, and The Ranch for ~1hr away 1000+yd ranges. Maybe Juliff.

I should clarify my first post.
I have a couple pieces of land to shoot on the east side of Houston. The great part is that it is land that allows for very long range shooting and basically only the rules of safety apply. We move and shoot "rapid" fire, and draw from holsters if we wish. The bad part is it's not a range, so you have to bring everything you need. Shelter, shooting bench, drinks, targets, Ect. I am not set up to have a large group, however, if one or two people max, for now, that were familiar with their weapons and safe handling wanted to join us, we would welcome meeting them and hopefully learn from each other. It is certainly a plus if you have your own awning, bench, targets Ect. I am retired LE, have been through SWAT sniper school and would very much enjoy shooting/learning with a military sniper or someone who shoots competitively, but you certainly don't have to be one to join us. I would insist that you are very familiar with handling your weapons safely. I want to shoot as well and not be a range master. I say this as I have received several responses not all posted in the open forum. This is not directed at anyone in particular.
Thanks
Steve

I'm in the Cypress area, and I'm in the process of building out my first serious long rifle. Most of my shooting is tactical pistol/carbine work, lately it's been all sporting clays. I used to shoot in an IDPA club, I'd be interested in finding local ranges that let me get a little more working room beyond ASC's 300/600 yard range.
As far as I know, there's the CCC, and The Ranch for ~1hr away 1000+yd ranges. Maybe Juliff.

GFN,
We would be interested in meeting you. We used to shoot handguns tactically every week until we got into long range shooting, but occasionally go back to it to tune up. My shooting partner used to shoot in a IDPA club as well and we both went out of state to a tactical pistol school.
I made some pistol targets out of AR400 steel and have not taken the time to complete the stand for them, it's on the list. We have some paper target stands that we could use or the IDPA sized steel that we shoot with the rifles.

Reactions: GoFightNguyen

CCC has a pretty awesome setup - lots of barricades and "props" to shoot off of and they hold yearly PRS matches (and 3 gun, pistol, etc.). It's not cheap, but you can practice on almost any type of barricade you want, and it never gets busy. They also have one day PRS club matches every month.

Reactions: GoFightNguyen
GFN,
We would be interested in meeting you. We used to shoot handguns tactically every week until we got into long range shooting, but occasionally go back to it to tune up. My shooting partner used to shoot in a IDPA club as well and we both went out of state to a tactical pistol school.
I made some pistol targets out of AR400 steel and have not taken the time to complete the stand for them, it's on the list. We have some paper target stands that we could use or the IDPA sized steel that we shoot with the rifles.

It's funny how shooting only gets more expensive. I thought I was real hot shit when I bought myself IDPA mag carriers, quickdraw holsters, and handloaded my own pistol ammo. Now I'm wrapping up a tikka t3x + Bartlein barrel + MDT ESS chassis + Atlas Bipod + Razor HD I and I'm just trying not to think of how much it all is. I've got a buddy who does precision rifle matches; he's got access to materials to build out AR500 targets and stands and is interested also. I'm always down for shooting of any kind; long range is sort of the last (ish) kind I haven't really done yet.

GoFightNguyen,

It's an expensive hobby. I talked myself into buying a Vudoo in a JAE with an S&B to get as close to my AI as I could.

However, I'm hoping shooting .22LR saves me a barrel a year so eventually, it will be a worthwhile investment.

My shooting partner was saying the same thing this weekend. Two years ago I bought a Vortex Gen1 and thought I was crazy, now I have two gen 1's and three Gen2's, and two more custom rifles. We also now have a Kestrel, Garmin 701, bunch of steel, ect.... It also was a quick drive to the sand pit 1/2 mile from the house. NOW we have targets to put up, an awning, trailer with Polis Ranger to carry the steel targets out that needs to be loaded and trailer to hook up, target stands, drinks..... Takes an hour to get ready to shoot! It is a full day of entertainment though.
I like the excuse of buying a new rifle to save money. Bought a .260 bolt gun to save money on the expensive 300 Win Mag ammo.....
Well ya can't take it with you.

You’re not the only ones. Started out shooting clays because I mostly duck hunt and shotgunning didn’t cost a buck a round. Got into some pretty serious campaigns of sailboat racing. Okay, the boats cost a lot up front, but only had to ask forgiveness from the war department a time or two a year per year when I needed new sails or a bottom job. The problem with rifles is that while I spend less annually, it’s a constant hit to Amex bill even when I’m doing the Johnny Cash thing and building it one piece at a time. Trying to explain that to my wife is like, well...

Oh, and if you’ve got a Kahles 624i with skmr3 reticle to sell, I haven’t pissed her off yet this month!

Reactions: Stevo3556
PM sent, I'm in Spring. Been going to ASC and shooting the 600yd steel. Good to go shoot by yourself sometimes so you'll have plenty of time to focus and write stuff down.... but always looking for some opportunities to sharpen my wind calling skills with peers.

Love to have you shoot with us. it is a great place to shoot and we are very thankful to have it, Since it is just a large piece of land there are no rules except safety. The only down side for people that are used to public ranges is that there is nothing there. So we have to bring everything and set up and take down. That does add lots of time, but we prefer it to a public range.

Shoot at ASC, don’t do competition and would like to learn from others as well. Grest to see Houston shooters trying to meet.

My neighbor/shooting buddy and I are pretty much self taught in the LR game. Have gone through several learning curves in equipment ect. Our NEW learning curve shooting 1200 yards is WIND!!!!!!! Easy peesey with no or light wind and our AB 701 and Kestrel. Started using flagging tape on the steel last week and bought some cheap wind socks this week. Hope that helps. We can certainly see that the wind changes a lot over our range. Trying for first shot hits every couple hundred yards out to 1200 on a standard sized silhouette steel target with a 5" circle in it.
So we are always looking for others to learn from and on very few occasions pass on something we have learned.

My neighbor/shooting buddy and I are pretty much self taught in the LR game. Have gone through several learning curves in equipment ect. Our NEW learning curve shooting 1200 yards is WIND!!!!!!! Easy peesey with no or light wind and our AB 701 and Kestrel. Started using flagging tape on the steel last week and bought some cheap wind socks this week. Hope that helps. We can certainly see that the wind changes a lot over our range. Trying for first shot hits every couple hundred yards out to 1200 on a standard sized silhouette steel target with a 5" circle in it.
So we are always looking for others to learn from and on very few occasions pass on something we have learned.
If possible let me know if you are open to having someone go with ya’ll.

Great let me know when you want to shoot and we will ensure we are going and don't already have guests.
Didn't go Saturday as it rained heavily Friday night, it would have been very muddy mess, and we both had other things we should have done instead. We have not been this logical in the last two years. Don't know what's wrong with us...

I'd be interested in shooting with you, I shoot at CCC about once a month for their PRS competition. Have been looking for a place to get out and sling some lead long range in between competitions.

PS,

We would be happy to have you join us. I think this weekend we are going to do some 3 gun practice. I think I will have to work the next weekend.

You could PM me when you have a weekend you would like to shoot and we can make arrangements to meet.

Maybe I should just post a few days before our Sat shoot and see who is available.....

Steve

What’s up Houston shooters,

As soon as I get the new rifle together, I would enjoy meeting some local shooters that are interested in practicing PRS skills or just to go out and have some fun at the range. Shoot at ASC right now. I don’t want to put any more rounds through my current setup however, since I am trying to sell it (Anyone interested it’s in the x-change along with Walther PPQ I am selling ?). Apologies for shameless plug.

I am driving out to CCC on October 13th to watch local match. If anyone is headed out, lmk, would enjoy putting some faces to names.

Happy shooting!

No need to drive out there to watch it, come shoot it! Its extremely low stress match to shoot. There are all different levels of shooters that come out. I wouldn't waste time coming unless you're going to be slinging some lead! I will be out there, PM me if you want to discuss

What’s up Houston shooters,

As soon as I get the new rifle together, I would enjoy meeting some local shooters that are interested in practicing PRS skills or just to go out and have some fun at the range. Shoot at ASC right now. I don’t want to put any more rounds through my current setup however, since I am trying to sell it (Anyone interested it’s in the x-change along with Walther PPQ I am selling ?). Apologies for shameless plug.

I am driving out to CCC on October 13th to watch local match. If anyone is headed out, lmk, would enjoy putting some faces to names.

Happy shooting!

I've never shot a match and I would be interested in watching one. I'm down going out and shooting as well. Let me know..

Sounds good...PM me when it gets a little closer and we can chat a bit more.

Scott

Wondered if there were any Hide members looking for a long distance place to shoot in the Houston area. I have a couple pieces of land in the east Houston area that I shoot 1200 yards on regularly, could go further. Mostly LR rifle shooting, but also do some tactical pistol and carbine shooting.
We are interested in learning from others that are shooting long range, have some tactical training, and or compete in LR/tactical shooting.
Steve

Hey what’s up. Is still going on? I’ve been scouting some new areas as the furthest my local range goes to is 200yrds. Very invested into this craft and hoping to learn from others as well. Let me know! Thanks.

If any of you gentleman are BCS area residents, I'd love some company to shoot with. Right now I go to Madisonville to shoot. Range out to 300 yards there and great folks to fellowship with when they are there.
I'm fascinated with this long range game.......cant hit a bull in the ass with an ironing board, but its sure fun trying.

Stevo3556
I owe you an apolagy friend. I've been watching this post forever hoping somebody on the north side of H Town would pop up.
I wasnt trying to hijack your thread. I should have started a new thread for the Bryan College Station area.

Man that's awesome news. I'm in the corpus area and it sucks having a rifle just sit there because I can't give it it's intended use.

Archer for kids,

No worries! I have been very busy and just now getting back to you, sorry.

I have lived in Houston 1981 and wasn't sure what BCS meant, dense! Should have known..

I know the range in Navasota is very nice and popular. I would join if it wasn't well over an hour drive through Houston.

Hope you found some people to shoot with.

Steve

HOLY! I'm so glad I opened this thread! I just moved from North Carolina to Shiner, TX and was super disappointed to find out that there are no ranges anywhere near here. This place is only an hour from me.

I’ve just been going out to American Shooting Center but it’s very limited. I have a 1000 yrd range back in Louisiana, but have been looking for something better out here. I live over by the City Center area.

Can't recommend the The Ranch enough. I'm a member there and it is awesome. It's pretty far away (an hour for me) but it's worth it. I usually stay all day to make it worthwhile.