• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How about a scope comparison in the Houston area?

Tburkes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2002
Bandera, Texas
I own a Premier Reticles 3-15 with a Gen II reticle, I also own a S&B 4-16X50 with a Gen II XL reticle and a S&B 5-25x56 with a P4F reticle.

I've just gotten off the phone with Nathan of HuDisCo, who is the distributor of Hensoldt scopes. Nathan has agreed to send me on of his 4-16 FFP scopes for me to host a scope viewing if there is any interest in having this sort of thing.

I met Nathan down at Rifles Only at the Cup last month, I guess that's why he's agreed to send me one of his toys to play with.

I would propose that this take place in about a month to six weeks. This would allow anyone in the surrounding area to make plans to be in Alvin should they want to look through some high end glass. I know it's a big leap of faith buying something sight unseen when it costs this much money cause I've been there. That's why I figured there may be some guys in the area who would like to come check out some different high end glass under the same field conditions.

I'm not making anything for doing this, in fact it'll take part of a weekend that I would be sewing product in order to pull this off. So, I'd like to know if there is any interest in me getting my scopes together and having Nathan send out one of his scopes out for an evaluation by prospective buyers.

This will not be a shooting event at all, it will only be a viewing event. At this point I don't know where I can get it set up, probably at the local community college parking lot. That location would allow several vehicles to drive right up to where we'll be set up, and there will be long distances to look at through the scopes. Hopefully it'll be a warm day and there'll be some mirage to be able to compare apples to apples through.

I guess you guys can let me know here how much interest there is in putting together something like this and we'll see if we can make it happen.

Re: How about a scope comparison in the Houston area?

Let me know when and where?count me in.

Sounds like a great opportunity, and I'm sure many would like to hear the results. I know I would.

Tony,

Does your PR have the new DT knobs?

I'm just down the street from Alvin. Count me in.

No it does not Jason, and you know what, I'm not going to have it converted over to the DT either. After using this thing since last November I haven't found an instance where I really wished I had the DT feature.

Sure the DT has a courser scale so it's easier to hit the next "click" after the full mil mark. I've shot the scope in everything from mountains, to flat lands, in the cold, in the rain, under time constraints at matches.

I just haven't found an instance where the close distance in between clicks has been a hinderance anywhere. The more I've used it the easier it is to make the scope do what I want it to do.

I like my 22 mil single turn scope.

I live right down the road in Santa Fe and definatly would be interested in checking some of these out. I am looking very hard at both of the premier and the hensoldt. When would you be setting this up?

I'm in the Woodlands and would make the trek. I can bring along an SN3 if there is interest, as well as a Victory Diavari (3-12) and maybe a Swaro Z1 - for glass comparison.

rundm, I don't have a firm date yet, that's why I said a month to six weeks to see if there was, 1, any interest at all in doing this, and 2, if there was the interest to kind of let the group decide on a date.

It would be on a weekend, either a Saturday or Sunday.

I don't know of any dealers in the Houston area who carry Premier or S&B, so it may be quite a while before there's a chance for people to look through some of the top glass in the world at the same location, under the same conditions.

I already have a couple of serious shooters who are committed to coming and looking at the glass, so it's more than likely going to happen, we'll just need to nail down a date a little closer to the time.

Tony,

Let me know when. I will give you a call today. I will bring the Unertl for comparisons to glass of days gone by. I have seen a couple of targets that are used for comparing optics against I will see if I can dig them up. Did Nathan suggest any "test" to help define quality of glass and its effectiveness in different lighting conditions? This certainly does sound like a great opportunity to see what works for the money invested. Thanks for volunteering your time and glass.

Talk to you later.

Danel

Bring it to Dallas the next weekend.

CKA, I'll have a Hensoldt 4-16x56 FF in a couple weeks max. We could do our own little north dallas comparison. When I get it I will have that one as well as S&Bender, NightForce, Luppy Mark 4(older one) and a IOR that we can set side by side. Hell I'll fire up the grill and we can all check them out in full and fading light till they just don't work anymore. I'll make it a BYOB and scope party.

Sounds like fun. I would be in. Maybe incorporate a trip to hooters or something like that after. (usually what my old motorcycle club used to do)

that sounds like a plan!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CKA, I'll have a Hensoldt 4-16x56 FF in a couple weeks max. We could do our own little north dallas comparison. When I get it I will have that one as well as S&Bender, NightForce, Luppy Mark 4(older one) and a IOR that we can set side by side. Hell I'll fire up the grill and we can all check them out in full and fading light till they just don't work anymore. I'll make it a BYOB and scope party. </div></div>

thats it, Nathan owes me a commission!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At this point I don't know where I can get it set up, probably at the local community college parking lot. That location would allow several vehicles to drive right up to where we'll be set up, and there will be long distances to look at through the scopes.
</div></div>

These scopes will be mounted on rifles? Or handheld, or ?

Just curious. If you had a bunch of scoped rifles in a college parking lot in Kalifornia, even on the weekend, I foresee muchos problemos amigos.
wink.gif

I'm in for sure.

Josh

Count me in too, it will also be a good opportunity to meet some of the local Hiders.

any idea when this is going to happen? RG

no finalized date yet, still gathering interest. If you have a date you'd like to do the test on let's have it and we'll try to accommodate as many people as we can.

I'm in on the right day. Might bring all of our junk too and make it sniperhide trade day. This might be the start of the Houston shoot that was cooking awhile back. That might lighten the public issue if we had it at a range as well. just suggestions....

I would be interested and can bring some Nikon, Lupy, and US Optics to the party.

Tony

I will come if I can make it.... I could bring a cheap scope for comparison.

Since no one has suggested a date I'll talk to a couple of buds who definitely want to do the side by side comparison and come up with a date and let you guys know when it'll take place.

let us know. I am in for anything after this weekend. I have a premier 5x25 on order and wanting to make sure I got the right scope which I think I did. I am just down the road in santa fe. RG

Nathan with HuDisCo will be sending me some glass next week. After the glass gets here I'll decide on a date and let everyone here know when the meet will be.

I'm thinking tentatively about three weeks from now, on a weekend.

sounds great. RG

sounds like a cage match for the best of the best of the best......

Any possibility of including a Sunday in that schedule?

Turk I only plan on doing this on one day, it could be a Sunday just as easily as a Saturday. I haven't had one person come up with a date that works for them, therefore I'll just work it out with the close guys who I know that want to do the comparison.

When the Hensoldt shows up then I'll decide on a date and post it here. I would guess that I'll give a couple week notice before doing it to allow those interested to work out their schedules.

I am just glad you are doing it regardless the of which day. Perhaps if given enough notice we can rearrange our schedules. Anyway; looking forward to your input afterwards!

Well, the Hensoldt should be shipped this week and say two weeks after that, well that would be Father's Day, so let's say tentatively the 28th of June maybe.

I'm in as well.......on the list for a Premier

Bayou has a match on June 21st and July 5th right up the road. If it was done there the concern about mounted scopes would be alleviated. Plus there's the opportunity to see how they perform.

I'd like to see one of the TAB rifle covers also. I've been looking at it for a while, maybe you could push me over the edge.

The Hensoldt was shipped Friday, so it should be here next week some time.

At this time there will be a S&B or two, for sure a 5-25 with a P4F reticle. I'm hoping I can bet my 4-16 with the Gen II XL reticle back from my dad in time for the meet. I'll have my Premier Heritage 3-15 with the Gen II reticle too, as well as a Leupold 6.5-20 LR M1 with Gen II reticle. The Hensoldt with have the regular Mil Dot reticle.

I don't know of anyone in my area who has a USO scope so if someone has one of them that would be nice to include as well.

I'm going to try to get a NF FFP scope here, but no guarantees at this time.

If someone who plans on coming has a NF scope I'd like to include it in the test too since it's one of the main players in the field today.

Mr. Kirk, Bayou probably won't let a bunch of non members show up there to shoot on their range, and as I said I'm not going to try to get a shoot set up anywhere. There are just too many logistical problems that would have to be taken into account that I'm not willing to tackle.

Don't worry I'll have some TAB GEAR products on hand for you guys to play with. You don't think I'd have a captive audience on hand and not be pimping my stuff do you?
smile.gif

Cool
I'll bring a 22x nxs (not ffp)

Tony, please let me know your findings. I'm in the market for a new scope.

I have access to S&B's, USO's and leupolds, but no premiere or Hensholdt. I would like some honest info.

I know George used a Hensholdt in norcal, i forgot to talk to him afterward about it.

Thanks

I just signed for a Hensoldt 4-16X56 mildot scope that made the trip from Nathan at HuDisCo.

Right off the bat I can say I like the power adjustment ring better than my Heritage, it's not nearly as stiff as the PR is.

The Hensoldt has a true zero stop, but no MTC like the Heritage which I really like.

I'll be figuring out a date to make this get together happen.

I'd like to have a USO in the mix for a comparison. My connection for a USO won't be able to get me a scope until about the middle of July. If anyone who plans on attending this get together has a USO and would like it included in the lineup let me know and we may be able to move the date up.

I guess I'd better put this scope away for now and start earning my paycheck.

I have a USO ST-10, erek knob, mil/mil I can bring if you would like.

I would like to see Super Snipers, Bushnell 4200s, Falcon Menance, and\or any of the other low cost glass, lets see how they really compare to the good stuff.

I have an SS if anyone would like me to bring.

Jim