• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How accurate is QuickLoad?

Cira

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
I'm looking to pick up QuickLoad. I like the demo and I want to try and save some money on working up some loads. Is that a realistic goal for Quickload?

Also, how accurate is the program at predicting muzzle velocity? Within the same margin of error as a chrono? We haven't had direct overhead sunlight up here in New England in months and I was thinking of getting the infrared screens for my chrono but they are $90. I was thinking I could get close enough with Quickload. Is it accurate enough for that?

Thanks, just trying to justify the $150 to myself.

Re: How accurate is QuickLoad?

Some of my calibers it redicted within 20fps. With one it was off by about 175. The best use I have found for it was to compare different powders for a given cartridge as a supliment to my load manuals.

Its a good program.But only as good as you are as to the data you are giving it.You didn't mention what caliber. But you have a chronograph-why bother. You are still going to have to shoot anyway.Keep good data at several ranges say 100-300 yards and you can double check your chrono using a ballistic program.

For awhile several members had the program and were able to assist others until the program's writer's advised Lowlight that sharing the data on a public forum was a violation of their licensing.That's why you don't see many threads on the program.

the program is reasonably accurate predicting muzzle velocity, but definitely not as accurate as actual readings when firing your rifle.
i found it useful when making my loads and it will provide you
with bullet drop information for example, but basically i´d rather go with rhys´ and arclight´s opinion.
even though it´s still worth having.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bellerophon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the program is reasonably accurate predicting muzzle velocity, but definitely not as accurate as actual readings when firing your rifle.
i found it useful when making my loads and it will provide you
with bullet drop information for example, but basically i´d rather go with rhys´ and arclight´s opinion.
even though it´s still worth having. </div></div>

Load development, but still need to chrono. My loads are off about 100 fps.

The QL manual says that is errors on the safe side with straight wall cartridges that blow unburned powder out the muzzle.

When I put in a double charge of Power Pistol in a semi auto pistol, Quickload predicts 1,000,000 psi, but I just get a big fireball of muzzle flash, and the primer does not ever pierce.

But with QL and bottle necked rifle cartridges, the QL prediction of velocity is usually right in the center of chrono measurements!

QL pressure predictions for bottle necked cartridges are just as good. The 1889 7.65x53mm Mauser case head with large Boxer primer pocket is used in 22-250, 243, 6mm Rem, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260 Rem, 6.5x55 [US brass], 270, 7mm-08, 7x57mm, 280, 308, 30-06, 8x57mm, 338F, 358, and 35W.
All these cartridges will get loose primer pockets in one firing of QL 75,000 psi, but will not get loose primer pockets with many firings at 65,000 psi.

All the (8) deer I have shot were between 329 and 510 yards.
I used QL quicktarget feature to determine the elevation adjustment to hit those deer.

dar,
exactly, that´s what i meant by
"..not as accurate as actual readings.."

" how accurate is the program at predicting muzzle velocity?"

Like any other such predictive programming, it will do quite good for those rifles who's chamber and bore closely match what the programmers used as a basis.

Next question is, does your's match theirs? And that my friends is a crap shoot. Do you feel lucky? If so, take the chance, spend the money and try it. Me, given a 50:50 chance, I don't have a prayer!

Quick load seems a great gimmick for those who love to play lots of "what ifs" even if the "ifs" aren't truly accurate on a consistant basis. That's not me, my toys are guns, not computers.

One thing is for certain; if you use the cost of the program for components and develop your own loads that will work everytime.

If you want to work up OBT loads, then QL will help you find the OBT for your barrel length and bullet. You can then chrono to find the actual velocities you are getting with the suggested loads. You'd be surprised how various lots of powder change your velocities and all related items. JMHO

For me about 95% of the time. Some powders are off a little. For instance they have not worked the "majic factor" in reloader 17 yet. Everyone seems to be doing 100-200 fps more than what what Q/L predicts.

With my guns I get by with little or no problems

i downloaded the demo, and it refused to work on my computer...kept giving me an error about coudnt create the icons or something like that

I have learned a lot by using it. Worth every penny for me.

There is a nice article on QL and how to tweak it for maximum accuracy in predicting velocity at 6mmBR.com.

I find QL great in estimating pressure for observed velocity. It also has a function that allows you to choose optimal powders for specific cartridge/bullet combos.

Highly recommended but be safe and cross check loads with reloading manuals.

I have found QL to be very useful. I have learned a lot using the program. In order to get the maximum out of QL you need a chronograph and a handheld weather instrument. With the weather instrument you can add information on the local site where you are shooting and QL's calculations get much more accurate. If this is not done you are just using a generalized atmosphere. It is also necessary to work up a profile on a specific rifle, caliber, cartridge, barrel, scope, and rings in order to calculate pressure and velocity as well as external ballistics.

For matches I can use the data from the weather instrument and "tweak" the atmosphere and location in QuickTarget to model changes in dope. This is easily done by looking at average relative humidity data and barometric pressure from a local airport near the match for the month of the match (assuming I don't have actual data). GoogleEarth can be used to easily determine the elevation of the match location as well as the lat/long and firing orientation (if you want to go that deep). This all can be added to QuickTarget too.

I am working with .338 LM and .408 CT. Velocities are close but pressures appear to be way off on the high side even when I plug in known factory loads.

IE: .408 CT 418 Gn. solid, 128.525 Gns. R-25, factory load.

Comes back with 71,710 PSI.
Shows a 63,817 MAX(P). for a .408

7,893 PSI over MAX.(P) listed????? even higher if you correct shot starting pressure for copper solid 13,172 PSI over MAX.(P)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to work up OBT loads, then QL will help you find the OBT for your barrel length and bullet. You can then chrono to find the actual velocities you are getting with the suggested loads. You'd be surprised how various lots of powder change your velocities and all related items. JMHO </div></div>

I've used it to get close to my OBT loads in the past with much success (I've been bad and had other members run numbers for me).

The velocities QL predicted I'd get plugged into JBM matched my field dope better than the velocities my ShootingChrony chrono gave me, so I sold it.