• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How bad can a factory REM 700 action be?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Afternoon fellas,

I have a Faxon 16” RemAge barrel and a McMillian A1-3 stock together so far for an 8.6 Blackout build.
    I’ve discovered that a blueprinted and tried 700 action isn’t compatible with RemAge barrels due to the threads.

I’ve looked at a few custom actions, but they all have differences that will require me modifying the stock, that’s already been bedded for a 700 action.

I honestly do not know what the realistic range of this rifle will be. I plan to shoot 300gn .338 projos at 1050fps.

My question is, how much will I be screwing up buying a cheap Remington 700 adl and using the action for this build? Are the actions really off so much between the face of the receiver to cause accuracy issues at range? Is there anything I can do to the receiver to make sure everything is straight without a machine?

Thanks very much in advance boys!

My question is, how much will I be screwing up buying a cheap Remington 700 adl and using the action for this build? Are the actions really off so much between the face of the receiver to cause accuracy issues at range? Is there anything I can do to the receiver to make sure everything is straight without a machine?
    1680129345513.png

The Faxon load data show this running 300 smk or 285ELDM, which I cannot help but think is a very expnsive 200 yard bullet. 🧐

It will probably work fine for your application. I have a remage .223 barrel on my rem adl action that shoots great. What are you trying to do with it?

Mike
    I’m wanting to use it to lob high bc bullets at distance, under the speed of sound, and test how accurately I can do this.
    Shooting steel at range for fun!
    Maybe some hog hunting within a couple hundred yards.

View attachment 8108140

The Faxon load data show this running 300 smk or 285ELDM, which I cannot help but think is a very expnsive 200 yard bullet. 🧐
    Field reports have this chambering shooting accurately well past 400yds. Of course it’s expensive, but it’s not a gun I’ll shoot 20K rounds a year through. Just a rifle to slap steel hard at distance with a whisper quiet rifle.

Last edited:
    To be clear, BC matters relatively little when the projectile is subsonic. The bullet is still gonna fly like a football whether it's 40gr, or 300gr. What you gain is kinetic energy on target, and wind resistance, mostly due to momentum, not bullet shape. For my part, I'd rather shoot round nose, flat base bullets from that rifle, as your accuracy is likely to be better with that bullet profile. You gotta spin those long pointy bullets mighty fast to get them to stabilize at low velocity.

Field reports have this chambering shooting accurately well past 400yds. Of course it’s expensive, but it’s not a gun I’ll shoot 20K rounds a year through. Just a rifle to slap steel hard at distance with a whisper quiet rifle.
    The cost of a bedding job or truing an action seems trivial in the context of feeding a rifle that eats $1-1.50/each bullets.

If you need to shoot solids or bonded bullets to keep that 3 inch twist from shredding your SMKs or ELDMs, god help your wallet :ROFLMAO:

To be clear, BC matters relatively little when the projectile is subsonic. The bullet is still gonna fly like a football whether it's 40gr, or 300gr. What you gain is kinetic energy on target, and wind resistance, mostly due to momentum, not bullet shape. For my part, I'd rather shoot round nose, flat base bullets from that rifle, as your accuracy is likely to be better with that bullet profile. You gotta spin those long pointy bullets mighty fast to get them to stabilize at low velocity.
    This is true. That is why the faxon barrel has a 1:3 twist. Should be interesting….

I have a factory Remington 223 action with a 223 remage barrel. It hovers around 1/2 MOA with my reloads. The only downside is Remington uses that huge firing pin which is hard on primers, but for subsonic applications you probably won't have an issue.

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    The cost of a bedding job or truing an action seems trivial in the context of feeding a rifle that eats $1-1.50/each bullets.

If you need to shoot solids or bonded bullets to keep that 3 inch twist from shredding your SMKs or ELDMs, god help your wallet :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for sharing your in depth knowledge and financial advice king.

If you are concerned about the factory action, have a gunsmith true the receiver face and lap the bolt lugs. And use a quality recoil lug.

I can't remember which, I believe Criterion or Preferred offer a 10 over thread cut for trued actions. It's in their drop down menu system.