• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s How bad is it when............

jasonahull

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
everett washington
You have to pawn your legs?
Saw these in a pawn shop yesterday while looking for deals on rifles.
2012-02-25_1129182.jpg

Re: How bad is it when............

Not for nuthin', but there are certain components in those devices that are DAMN expensive.

Then, there is also the fact that over time, an individual will 'outgrow' and/or 'outperform' their prosthesis, and need an upgrade. Or an improvement. When one "graduates" the learning how to walk again, and say wants to get back into running then there are different/other parameters and components that are required. After having a new prosthesis made, you still leave with your old one. What do you do with it? Not very many "limb recycle" facilities around, though there are some.

I researched this a fair amount, while gearing up to making my brother some new legs. (He was run-over by a train when he was 7)

So, while the connotations are hard and borderline 'devastating', just realize that all is not as it appears. Not always, anyway.

I see. Not that it is funny to have to deal with the loss of a limb or limbs, It did stike me as funny to see those in a pawn shop. "I bought this, but it cost me an arm and a leg."

Maybe they were trying to get a "leg up" and needed to trade in their old one.

Maybe they tried to put their best foot forward....

Last heard in this pawn shop "are you pullin' my leg?"

The owner of the prosthesis wanted to return it but without the receipt he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Now you're giving the thread and it's location the focus that it deserves.

You should see the look on my Bro's face, when I ask him if he needs new socks for Christmas. Or telling him that it seems that he's grown, as his pants are turning into 'floods'. Or when I complain about having an itchy foot and saying "Don't you just hate that?"

Or "Look at the bright side, you'll never complain about stubbing your toe."

And yes, he does get me back.

I think all people with disabilities should have a sense of humor about it. A few years ago my buddy's dad lost a couple of fingers in a lawn mower accident. When I found out I asked, how bad it was? They said he lost his pinky and ring finger. I said, "well that's no big deal then". I saw him a few months later, and he was pretty bumbed out. I said hey how's it going? He said, fine in a somber voice. I said cool, high 3 me. It became our hello ritual.

Let me tell you, I'm missing an arm and a leg and if I didn't have a sense of humor I'd be miserable. You cannot just sit around and feel sorry for yourself, if you do what was the point of surviving in the first place? My 6 yr old daughter has my goofy sense of humor, she will ask to hold my hand in front of a stranger and loves to see the look on their face when I take it off and give it to her! As to the cost, it's unbelievable! My basic leg was $45000 and the one I'm planning on is about $114000, and get replaced roughly every 3 -5 years.

Holy crap thats alot of money. Glad you can laugh about it.
I hope I could maintain a sense of humor if faced with the same thing.

off topic, but funny...

one of my male relatives from texas was visiting for the holidays when we lived in chicago and i was a little one...

well, everyones havving a nice time and we start horsing around with this uncle, i believe...

he takes a pencil, pulls his pants leg up a bit and pushes the pencil through his sock and into his leg...

we thought this guy, a texan, mind ya, was like fuckin superman...

it kinda hurt when mom said he hed a wooden leg and he pushes the pencil through a airhole, been doing it for years to impress the kids, she said ...

have a guy at work with one leg, we call him "the evil pirate".
he has a great sense of humor about it.
had an uncle when i was a teen that was missing both just below the knee. he could get around pretty good with walkin sticks. any way he came into town for the weekend and had family over. he went to go to bed and the 2 nephews followed
(bout 5 yrs old)to tell him good night.thats when sat down on the side of the bed and pulled those legs off and them 2 lil brats came running outta there screaming their heads off scared to death. we al l got a real good laugh out of it. turns out he asked them to pull his shoes off... one for each of them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me tell you, <span style="color: #FF0000">I'm missing an arm and a leg </span>and if I didn't have a sense of humor I'd be miserable. You cannot just sit around and feel sorry for yourself, if you do what was the point of surviving in the first place? My 6 yr old daughter has my goofy sense of humor, she will ask to hold my hand in front of a stranger and loves to see the look on their face when I take it off and give it to her! As to the cost, it's unbelievable! My basic leg was $45000 and the one I'm planning on is about $114000, and get replaced roughly every 3 -5 years. </div></div>

Ever hear people say, " I'd loose my head if it wasn't attached". You could say, 'I know I put my arm down and now I can't find it anywhere!!"