• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How best to clean supressors

bigbovine

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
TN
I may have asked this before, but that was before ever getting one. I have both the YHM phantom (chrome molly, not take appart) and the stainless mite ( take appart). Any suggestions before I start wearing them both out, like frequency or chems used. Thanks.

Re: How best to clean supressors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigbovine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have asked this before, but that was before ever getting one. I have both the YHM phantom (chrome molly, not take appart) and the stainless mite ( take appart). Any suggestions before I start wearing them both out, like frequency or chems used. Thanks. </div></div>

So what is your other account name?

This one only has 1 post.................

I'd ask the manufacturer.

I clean all of my cans according to manufacturer's directions.

Semper Fidelis

It may have been another forum, but I cannot seem to find where I had gotten this info before, and have grown tired of trying. My dialup is painstakingly slow and i just decided to try asking here since this is where i have found the most useful information. I operate under only one name, so that isn't the problem. As far as manufacturers recomendation, I was just seeing what other people do that may be better.

Check out www.silencertalk.com and go to the forums there.

They have a number of solutions available. But you'll need to match the solutions to the material you are cleaning... i.e. what is good for stainless is NOT good for Aluminum.
smile.gif

Semper Fidelis

No need to clean the Phantom once but every 1000 rounds and I do mine in an ultrasonic cleaner on low heat for about 20 minutes. does just fine.

take the mite apart and use gun scrubber and a cheap tooth brush.

I can take mine apart, but really you don't clean the muffler on your truck do you?

you almost have to clean out a 22 can. They get so much build up your sound will be affected after awhile. I recommend cleaning your 22 can but the others you barely ever have to touch besides occasionally cleaning out the threads.

On centerfire cans I wouldn't worry too much. On 22 cans, not made of any aluminum, you can use "the dip". 50 Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% vinegar it'll fizz and bubble like alka seltzer. Makes a mild acid, but is toxic/hazmat once the lead joins in. Good chem gloves and a well ventilated area are a very healthy idea. Then dispose at a hazmat site when your storage container is full, or you could find some coyote/rattlesnake dens to pour it into. LOL

I was told that the cleaner (commonly used for house hold cleaning) Simple Green does a good job. You might give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On centerfire cans I wouldn't worry too much. On 22 cans, not made of any aluminum, you can use "the dip". 50 Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% vinegar it'll fizz and bubble like alka seltzer. Makes a mild acid, but is toxic/hazmat once the lead joins in. Good chem gloves and a well ventilated area are a very healthy idea. Then dispose at a hazmat site when your storage container is full, or you could find some coyote/rattlesnake dens to pour it into. LOL </div></div>

Big +1

If your internals are stainless steal and can take the "dip" this works awesome, after a couple hours they will just wipe clean with a paper towel, its amazing, give it a try and you wont use any other method.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On centerfire cans I wouldn't worry too much. On 22 cans, not made of any aluminum, you can use "the dip". 50 Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% vinegar it'll fizz and bubble like alka seltzer. Makes a mild acid, but is toxic/hazmat once the lead joins in. Good chem gloves and a well ventilated area are a very healthy idea. Then dispose at a hazmat site when your storage container is full, or you could find some coyote/rattlesnake dens to pour it into. LOL </div></div>

You mean 50% Hydrogen peroxide/vinegar? Like you buy at the grocery store? (0.3% HP) or do you mean 50% HP?