• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How bright should the illumination be on a S&B PMII Ultra Bright??

tsu45

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Just received a 3-12 Ultra Bright with the Tremor 3 reticle. First S&B scope for me. I wasn't expecting it to be daylight bright or anything, but it's barely visible on full illum in a dark room. Replaced battery, same deal.

Never having owned one I don't have a frame of reference other than it would be by far the weakest illum of any scope I've ever owned. That said, only being 12x that Tremor reticle is pretty fine, so the illum doesn't exactly have big dots/marks to work off of. The center dot and every 2mils down, and windage dots at 10mil, are illuminated. Basically an inverted cross of dots. Just mentioning in case that isn't normal.

Also is it normal on S&B for the battery to come installed and elevation cranked to the second revolution? Had me wondering if this one had maybe been already returned.

Thanks!

Found the illumination diagram. Pattern is correct.

Mine is bright (P3L). Iirc reticles like yours have dim illum to avoid washing out the target in low light. I believe Jerry at S&B US can swap out the card if you want brighter.

And no the battery shouldn’t have been installed and functional out of the box. Nor 2nd rev.

Last edited:
I had a 4-16 prior, I don’t recall it being daylight bright.

1666141042203.jpeg

The quick and dirty way to check is test with closed scope cap on the objective (pure black). If its not showing anything, the battery is dead or the illum function is DOA. If you are seeing the illumination, but its just dim, what is the range you get as you adjust the illumination control?