• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How can equipment/accessories help the execution of fundamentals: what should I fix with my rifle

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
I shot a dot drill today and a few groups. regrettably all of the ranges within 1 hr make you shoot off of a bench because they are convinced that any shooter is incompetent and can't hit the 35ft berm. anyway, rant complete

out of 21 dots I had hits on 16 of them, but I had some miss high and two random right and left. I shot two 5 shot groups, the first was 1.1" with one shot thrown, if I don't consider the flyer I had a .5" group.

the other 5 shot group was .9" with 3 shots in a single hole, .1" group, but I threw a shot high and a shot low left.

I am the biggest variable and the source of the misses for sure. BUT. . . I believe that I am doing some things the hard way and expecting better results. My rifle: Mausingfield short action, K&P barrel chambered in 308 win by LRI. Jewel trigger that I dropped into a KRG xray chassis. A vortex gen II razor 3x18 on top mounted with ARC rings, its a quality setup

my percieved weaknesses that I believe are contributing to my lack of consistency: (I need to work on FoM as well, I know this)
1 - harris bipod off of a bench (swivel, notched legs, 6"-9" model)
2 - Mounting the bipod to the sling swivel stud on the polymer forend, (flexing? meaning the loading of the bipod is less consistent)
3 - using a rear bag (tab gear) for shooting on a bench

if you were me, should I change up any of this? I have considered an atlas CAL bipod, KRG spigot mount and a big shooting bag like a game changer or saracen, but that is $500 or more when I'd rather spend the money on ammo. my goal is to gain consistency and be able to shoot the 21 one inch dots with 21 shots, and to be able to shoot a 5 shot group under 3/4" off of a bench. my gun and ammo are capable. . . .I am struggling with consistency.

Not a fan of blaming equipment, especially if others are doing better accuracy wise with the same gear.

Sure you can get a front rest, different, more expensive rear bag, the question then becomes, can you buy accuracy?

Sure to acertain degree, but the reality is, the FoM are the most important. Work on you first the rifle second. A small adjustment to the trigger might be smarter than thinking it's your Harris' fault.

Thanks for the advice, I am shooting s club match next weekend, it will be a fun learning experience for sure

OP I am in a similar situation and working on FoM and to slow my self down I have been dry firing and checking my NPA between each shot while maintaining my cheek weld through the string. I hope this will help me on the next trip to the range to work on my FoM.

Try shooting off sand bags to see if it's the bipod.

You could use a coating of white lithium grease on the receiver to see if there are any point contact spots with the chassis.

There are pistol grips designed to fix the relationship between your finger tip and the trigger shoe. If you have an issue there you might be able to build up your grip to do the same thing.

That's about all I got.