• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How can I tell if it is a good AK-47?

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
There is a local shop down the road that has two AKs on consignment and one looks like it is in good shape. He said it is Romanian and $600. Non folding stock. The other I don't know the price and its the same style but not sure of origin. How do I know what to look for in a good AK because I do know that some are shit and some are good. He said Romanian AKs are good and I have read that they aren't.

Any help here?

I just want one for the hell of it. I know they aren't known for accuracy but more of a spray and pray but I just want one that is from a good background.

Re: How can I tell if it is a good AK-47?

Romanian AKs are good. How good depends on who assembled it or made it 922r compliant. Does it have a threaded barrel.

It is probably a CAI WASR-10 AK. If so look it over good for any defects. I would look any AK over good for defects that I am thinking about purchasing.

GC

look for canted sights and to much mag wobble. wasr 10's around me are about 599$ new. crazy when i bought mine new for 325$ 9 months ago.

Mag wobble is not a big deal on WASR 10 unless it is a lot. The Tapco & Arsenal AK mags fit tight in most.

GC

Will there be some of the numbers on the side of the gun? When I get a chance to get back up there and they aren't sold I will write it down and check up on it.

As long as it doesnt say Century on the side your ok.

Rich

I bought a wasr 10 (Romanian ak) a couple of years ago for $315. I can't believe they went up that much. Check to make sure the gas block isn't canted, I remember reading that is a problem with some. Also the number on the side will tell you what year it was made. I have never had any problems with mine, and it seems to be pretty accurate out to at least 100yds

I have a WASR 10 also and it has been a good gun for the money. I don't think I would pay $600 for one.

GC

My WASR may not be the prettiest girl on the block, but she shoots straight and has never failed to go "bang".

When I get some more ammo layed in for her she will go back into my truck as my "shit happens" gun.

How can I tell if it is a good AK-47?

Dump it in a puddle of pig shit, run over it with a large tractor a few times. When you pull it out of the muck (If you can find it) blast a few 40rd mags and know that you've gotten the best rifle ever designed.

Of course, if you're like me and have never dropped your rifle in the mud, even when traversing a swamp, maybe you don't have anything to gain from owning an AK? That is why I own ARs instead.... ymmv

Ok here is the info I got off thegun.

Made by ch romarm
In Romania
Imported CAI Georgia VT
GP WASR 10/63
7.62x39

ive never found a bad ak. they are remarkable tools...for the purpose intended. does it have a slant break or a wacky barrel nut? the specimen i fired with identical markings was actually exceptionally tight shooting as ak's go. around 3MOA. far superior to the 5-10 moa ive seen out of other types. should you choose to purchase it despite the high pricetag here are a few suggestions. far as mag fit, id recommend you test fit all mags you intend to use and if some are too tight, dremel a few thousandths off each side of mag well.(the importer actually does this to make them use 30 round mags as theyre originally a single stack ten round affair.) the wasr-10 stocks are usually laminated wood and dog ugly. they do look a lot nicer with a coat of reddish stain finish or if you prefer paint them. also toss the supplied grip in favor of a after market contoured one(actually shaped like for a hand) and add slant break if not already there. mine came without it and it made a big difference in muzzle climb i was surprised. oh and if ya can afford it i recommend the 75 round drum. its heavy but chicks dig it,lol.

It's hard to knock an AK....I mean really, have you ever seen an insurgent with an AK that didn't fire....Most AK's that don't fire .....ran out of ammo. Yes there are better versions and before this Obama craze excited gun owners you could buy a Russian Billet AK for about $2,000-$2,500 and from there down you could find great to good AK's to just your typical plain jain stamped AK that survives a sand storm like a camel....Now is not the best time to buy an AK but if you don't have one, it may not ever get lower than what it is today...So...Choice is yours.........Good luck..SmokeRolls

I was looking it over and comparing the going prices on Gunbroker.com and the price seems acceptable. It seems to be the going rate. I would have liked to pay $300 instead of $600 though.

I noticed this gun has not even been cleaned up good and what I mean is it looks like it had the Cosmoline grease in alot of the the grooves. The wood looked in good shape and the action seemed to move back and forth just fine. Since I am new to an AK I don't know the details on what exactly to look for. No it didn't have a muzzle break on it.

I found this random pic on the web just to give you an idea of a close representation of the same gun. It is the TOP GUN not the lower model.

Hope he was okay..... Thats gonna leave a mark....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok here is the info I got off thegun.

Made by ch romarm
In Romania
Imported CAI Georgia VT
GP WASR 10/63
7.62x39 </div></div>

That is a Century Arms rifle. They slap them together as quick as possible, but most of them still go bang. And they will fix the ones that don't. The front sight is probably canted, which you will find out for sure when you sight it in and have to push the front sight pin way to the left to get the windage right. But with Russian ammo it will still probably shoot 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards.

If you can afford it, spend more to get a Bulgarian or at least a Russian AK.

if its still in cosmoline then yes double check the front sight.

other wise shoot it until your heart is content. keep an eye on the tapco trigger group (The spring can slip causing reset problems) but they're good enough to go bang just about every time and for AKs thats good in my book.

J&G is advertising the Century Arms Romanian WASR 10 for around $480. I know you could find one for considerably less than $600 if you tried real hard.

When contemplating a Century WASR it's best to look at a few of them to find one without a terribly canted front sight base, although Century will fix it quickly if yours is canted. A TAPCO front sight combo tool (to push the windage slide and adjust the post for elevation) has been very handy on every Century AK that I've ever seen.

With the prices skyrocketing since the Messiah's ascent to power these WASR's are about the lowest priced AK's around. Get one now or be sorry later.

I know,....here let me check,..... what's this say, AK 47, nope! Don't think there's any good ones out there!

I bought a WASR 10 two years ago for a little over $300 just to have an "AK like" rifle in the collection. I've shot it two times. It functioned okay and demonstrated okay accuracy for a ranch / field rifle at 100yd (about 3 inch groups), just not my bag.

It'll pretty much always go bang...but the trigger seems cheap, and so does the rear leaf site. I hear most people replace the trigger or suffer trigger slap, but I don't shoot mine near enough to care.

20 rd mags rattle around less, or so I'm told...here in MD we can only have 20 rd mags.

Prices aren't likely to come down for a while, and pretty soon it'll be likely you won't be able to get one at all. Life's too short for regrets...if you have the money and it's burning a hole in your pocket...I say go for it.

AK's Suck!

Here's my lowly WASR after some TLC to the Furniture.

Weapons-051.jpg

I've got one of the original Poly Tech's. Great gun, just keeps on chugging. My buddy had one of those that had a milled receiver supposed to be a great shooter. Only he didn't take good care of it. Last time out in the desert, he just couldn't get the damn thing to work right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AK's Suck!

</div></div>

And yet you have one. No judgement here, just think it's funny
laugh.gif

The sarcasm dosn't come across well.
wink.gif

Would an AK be my FIRST pick as a defensive or offensive weapon? Nope.

Would I have any problem engaging targets out to 300 yards with one? Nope.

The AK is what it is. As long as you don't try to Tapcofuck it into an AR it's a great platform for fighting in places that your supply chain may not be able to keep up.

Meant no disrespect lonewolf. I have a crappy k98 mauser that shoots okay out to 400 yards, I just have it because I like the history behind it. So I see why you own your AK. Maybe not the best in its field, but interesting nonetheless.

And like you say, don't have to worry about ammo issues when everyone you're fighting is running the same weapon!

$600's not bad for anything that looks like an AK47 and takes a 30 round detachable mag. It'll definitely be worth more... soon. It's the MOST hated weapon by the "Liberal" administration and all of the cry-baby piss-ants in the media that can't tell an AK47 from a 10-22! I'd get it while you can!

All go bang, some just rattle a little more than others.

If it is still there when I get up some spare $600 I will likely pick it up. I thought about buying a bulgarian later but we will see. Damn gun list keeps on growing now matter how many I buy. Anyone else have that problem also? lol

Yes...and there is no cure! You just need to try and distract yourself with another obsession...like reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes...and there is no cure! You just need to try and distract yourself with another obsession...like reloading. </div></div>

I do reload, but it doesn't help. I think its the internets fault for showing me all the pictures of awesome firearms.

I would love to build an AR-10 one day.

I am thinking in a week or so I will see if they will take less for the AK and if not I may get something else entirely (like a Benelli M2) or get a russian or bulgarian ak.

I have a few milled arsenals, a Romy 10, yugo and a bunch of saigas...

1- arsenal
2-saiga
3-yugo
4-Romy

I have never had one that didn't go "bang" when i needed to.
grin.gif

"How ncan I tell if it's a good AK"

It's covered in blood lying under a smelly dead insurgent with all the rounds still in the mag.

Haven't seen one of those but I'd bet they are among the best. No really the best is the one never purchased!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LNO1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good AK-47 has yet to be made! </div></div>Huh??? Hate to piss in your Cornflakes... But the AK47 is probably the most reliable assault weapon ever made! They're generally pretty accurate, and they ALWAYS work! Not my favorite weapon but I gotta give credit where credit is due!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"How ncan I tell if it's a good AK"

It's covered in blood lying under a smelly dead insurgent with all the rounds still in the mag. </div></div>
Jon- I just read thru this entire thread, hoping to be the first to put in a post like yours! I wish you would have posted earlier so I wouldn't have had to read so much useless (to me)info about AKs.

About, I see here fans of the Russian weapon? If it so I and the truth am glad! =) tell, and at you the wooden accessories for AK are on sale? Can be to someone it is necessary to send the presents?
smile.gif

I can help...

PS: By the way, if qualitative photos fighting AK-47\74\AKM, etc are required. - address, something we will think up:)

I've had great luck with my Russian VEPR (these were imported by Robinson until a couple of years ago). It's a very trustworthy rifle, and it's the highest-quality AK I've seen.

The VEPR' is really good! However many in America, as far as I know have ours SAIGA. And at us "MOLOT" lets out for it "shutter a delay", a shop mouth... and it is possible to transform any SAIGAs in a VEPR'.
*I incorrectly named some parts. I not in a course of correct names in English: (

AK's have gone nuts in cost, but so has everything else.
If you can get a Saiga in evil configuration (done properly by someone that knows what ther are doing) you will have basically an Izmash AK.
Bulgarians through Arsenal are very good.

I personally have an Arsenal SLR106FR (556 caliber with a left folding stock) that shoots great. Gopher poppers go "ping" at 310 yds with the iron sights 80% of the time and the misses are close enough that if it were a LaRue it would "ping" too (that's with Wolf 62gr HP's too). I paid around $850 for mine with 6 mags last year, and guess what-the gas block is canted!!
I installed an ultimak rail so I can cowitness an Aimpoint and I'd have no trouble grabbing it as my SHTF go-to carbine.

It ain't my SPR, but it'll do just fine for a fighting carbine.