• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How can you tell if an action has been trued?

Chillin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2010
Austin, TX
Is there anyway to tell if an action has been trued or blueprinted if you don't know it's origin?

Re: How can you tell if an action has been trued?

Post some pics of the boltface, and the face of the action. Factory machining is very rough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chillin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anyway to tell if an action has been trued or blueprinted if you don't know it's origin?</div></div>

yes............but to tell if it has been done correctly is an entirely different matter

Some rifle smiths write on the inside the barrel channel with the information with a permanent marker. I have seen who did the work, date and what they did. But if the stock has been changed, it's gone.

Will post pics when I get home. Barrel is still on the action so I'm sure that will make it more difficult to tell. Gun shoots great was just curious if there were any obvious indicators.

If you look through the action ejection/loading port at the base of the barrel, sometimes you can see where the action threads were recut. Also, as stated the boltface is generally much smoother and the lugs are smooth and usually "in white". This doesn't mean it was done correctly, just that is was probably done.

Most things have already been covered. One thing you can do is put machinist dye or permanent marker on the back of the lugs. Then chamber a spent case and short stroke the handle up and down. If the back of the bolt lugs and the integral reciever lugs have been trued you should have close to 100% contact and the dye will come off.

Good info thanks guys I'll try the marker trick.

Mike