• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How close is too close?

jhstahl99

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2011
IL
While admiring my Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM after mounting it in the KRG Bravo, I am noticing that the scopes objective seems very close to the barrel. I understand that goal is typically to have it as close to the centerline of the bore as possible, but this seems pretty close. Scope is Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50, rings are Warne Maxima Horizontal lows. So I ask, "how close is too close?"
20200801_191306.jpg
20200801_191255.jpg

As long as there is light between them...although caps usually won't fit at that point.

The close as possible is outdated.

You want the optic in the proper place for you. Doesn’t matter how high or low it is.

I prefer to get the optic as low as possible and adjust my head position by changing the LOP and riser height. Even if that means stacking mouse pads and duct tape. Then you get the best of both worlds.

I prefer to get the optic as low as possible and adjust my head position by changing the LOP and riser height. Even if that means stacking mouse pads and duct tape. Then you get the best of both worlds.

There’s almost zero benefit to lower height. It’s not a “best of both worlds.”

You should be adjusting the optic to the shooter. Not the shooter to the optic.

While admiring my Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM after mounting it in the KRG Bravo, I am noticing that the scopes objective seems very close to the barrel. I understand that goal is typically to have it as close to the centerline of the bore as possible, but this seems pretty close. Scope is Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50, rings are Warne Maxima Horizontal lows. So I ask, "how close is too close?"View attachment 7388821View attachment 7388822
I think your good. Just some covers and things won't work or at least without some modification.

There’s almost zero benefit to lower height. It’s not a “best of both worlds.”

You should be adjusting the optic to the shooter. Not the shooter to the optic.
Benefit to it being lower is a smaller overall height of the rifle, super minor but I'd rather have that than it be taller than necessary. Theres also literally no reason to have it higher than needed unless I'm missing something there.

Adjusting the comb height and LOP are exactly the right way to adjust the rifle to the shooter.

Benefit to it being lower is a smaller overall height of the rifle, super minor but I'd rather have that than it be taller than necessary. Theres also literally no reason to have it higher than needed unless I'm missing something there.

Adjusting the comb height and LOP are exactly the right way to adjust the rifle to the shooter.

You’re absolutely missing it.

Set the rifle up to the shooter with LOP and Cheek height first. Then get the proper ring height.

LOP = proper spacing between shoulder and trigger to get the proper reach and trigger press. Has zero to do with the optic.

Cheek height = get the shooter’s head as erect and comfortable as possible. Should only be adjusted slightly for scope height. Basically if say you needed 1.58” rings but they only make 1.5”. You’ll adjust that .08. But when you really need 1.58“ rings and you’re using .94” because it’s “as low as possible,” now your head is being rolled more than it should be.

This is why when you go to a reputable instructor, if they see an issue, they will pull the optic completely off the rifle and get you setup. Then they will place the optic on and move it to the shooter. If the rings are too low, you’ll make it work for the class with the suggestion to purchase higher rings.

And a rifle being 1/4-1/2” shorter doesn’t benefit you in any measurable way.

You’re absolutely missing it.

Set the rifle up to the shooter with LOP and Cheek height first. Then get the proper ring height.
Please educate me because that does not make any sense what so ever.

EDIT: Saw your next post.

So do you pull the optic off and re adjust every time you go from shooting standing to prone? Because the position of your upper body changes completely between those positions. Causing your neck to be in a different position and thus your head too. I get what you're saying but It seems kind of silly. Maybe I'm wrong.

So do you pull the optic off and re adjust every time you go from shooting standing to prone? Because the position of your upper body changes completely between those positions. Causing your neck to be in a different position and thus your head too. I get what you're saying but It seems kind of silly. Maybe I'm wrong.

You see the rifle up for where you do most of your shooting. Be it prone or positional.

Reactions: Epsilon
I subscribe to the make the rifle fit the shooter and then mount the optic where it needs to be methodology.
Also, this...
39AC0FDE-8D86-4367-8C8C-40DF7E38D7E9.jpeg

I like my scope low on a hunting rifle where I shoot once. I like my scopes a bit higher on my play rifles because its a bit more comfortable.

OP your scope is fine if thats where you like it.

Reactions: Boatninja
I wasn't even sperm in 1980 ;)

What do the PRS dudes do? They shoot from a variety of positions.

I wasn't even sperm in 1980 ;)

What do the PRS dudes do? They shoot from a variety of positions.
They absolutely set their rifles up to fit themselves.

Yes but in what position? Prone, sitting, kneeling or standing?

Depends on individual shooter. I personally set mine up for barricade shooting. It’s where most of my shooting takes place and it’s the mostly likely place I’ll be unstable, so I want that to be the most comfortable and easiest to shoot from.

I can make minor adjustments to my position prone and not worry to much for stability.

And many shooters who run quick adjust LOP and Cheek will change it before the stage to what they like for prone vs positional.

Reactions: Epsilon
I set
Yes but in what position? Prone, sitting, kneeling or standing?

I set my rifle up for prone. It still fits as I need it for other positions. Especially as I don't even rest my cheek on the rifle for offhand. .

I like 1" rings, and my cheek riser in exactly the same spot for every rifle. I could care less how much clearance that provides me above my barrel. Its an irrelevant measurement.

Reactions: Tokay444
Thanks for everyone’s replies and advice. I’ll try it out like this tomorrow and start looking at higher rings. I’d at least like to be able to fit some caps.

Reactions: Kentuckywindage222