• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How close is too close?

Flint62a1

Private
Minuteman
I just mounted my vortex on my 308, there is a space between barrel amd the objective but it’s really close . There is a clearance enough to slide a folded piece of paper under it.
My question is, is that ok? How close is too close?
thanks, Kevin

Yup fine without caps but if you get caps then you will need higher.

Slapped down low as possible is old school theory, I have that t-shirt.

New consensus seems to be scope hight should not make you crane your head unnaturally especially for longer range times.

I believe too much pressure from face rolling over stock on some of my guns is causing excesive recoil movements high and to the left, not caliber dependent.

I used to be bone thin in the face and don't remember it being as much of a problem but now have to put more pressure on the stock to get my eye centered on those same old guns.

Bore to scope center theory may not overcome actual results of being behind the gun properly as it turns out for me.

Imho

Reactions: MadDuner
Slapped down low as possible is old school theory, I have that t-shirt.

New consensus seems to be scope hight should not make you crane your head unnaturally especially for longer range times.

I believe too much pressure from face rolling over stock on some of my guns is causing excesive recoil movements high and to the left, not caliber dependent.

I used to be bone thin in the face and don't remember it being as much of a problem but now have to put more pressure on the stock to get my eye centered on those same old guns.

Bore to scope center theory may not overcome actual results of being behind the gun properly as it turns out for me.

Imho
I’m a “big boned” size guy, and getting comfortable behind the scope is way more important to my shooting than almost anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
The scope may have clearance now but during recoil it may hit the barrel. That is no good for accuracy and is not good for scope. [ Scope flex ] Jeff

Last edited:
Thread not about scope height debate. He just asked about objective clearance.

No it’s not. Either it’s clear or touching. He just wanted to make sure his scope clearance was fine. Not asking ring height or how to set up the scope.

No it’s not. Either it’s clear or touching. He just wanted to make sure his scope clearance was fine. Not asking ring height or how to set up the scope.
Just enough clearance where a folded piece of paper fits is nowhere near enough for me to be comfortable that there will never be contact.

How's that for an on-topic answer?

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01 and Snuby642
For clarification...
The only “correct” response should have been the single word “yes” - with no further responses from anyone else?

Ok I give.

A folded piece of paper is the defining element of proper scope mounting.

Zig-zag or Top ?

The unofficial rule of thumb is that you need a +-1/8 of an inch clearance. The official answer is "enough clearance for barrel vibrations and natural flex of equipment to not wreck your setup."