• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How critical are you.....

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
So I was makeing some ammo, for a paper punching match, an was wondering how picky to get when chargeing cases, not getting lazy just wondering.
I was loading some 80 grain Sierra's with R-15. My charge weight was 24.2g. There where times where I would trickle over by .1 grain an out comes the tweesers.
So the question would you let a .1 of a grain accepltable or do you bust out the tweesers.
I am useing a Lee perfect powder disp. setat .5 grains under an trickle in.
All charges are individualy weighed on an electric scale,every 10th gets checked on a beam scale.

Want to hear what others are doing.

Memo

Re: How critical are you.....

Dump it, seat it, squeeze it.....in that order

I sat in the driver seat on the way to a match while my shooting partner charged cases with a Redding powder thrower followed by seating the bullets with a Lee walnut cracker hand press, made me sick to me stomach, until I saw how well he shot with said rounds.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dump it, seat it, squeeze it.....in that order

I sat in the driver seat on the way to a match while my shooting partner charged cases with a Redding powder thrower followed by seating the bullets with a Lee walnut cracker hand press, made me sick to me stomach, until I saw how well he shot with said rounds.

Kirk R

</div></div>
+1
Practice will pay off more than a tenth of a grain. Temp of ammo will have much more effect than that tenth of a grain.

thanks for the replies, I try an load all my rounds the same for practice as I do for my matches.
I would hate to loose because I wasnt spot on, but at the same time I don't want to be to over critical.
If I'm gona loose it's because of skill an not the ammo.
There is usually only one dummy on my fireing point an sometimes it's me.

I'll be the odd one out here. A tenth of a grain difference is obvious on paper for me. Granted, in large calibers/magnums, a tenth is not a drastic percentage-wise difference and probably negligible to discern. But in smaller calibers (308, 260 which I shoot, 243, etc) I beg to differ.

I used to load <span style="font-weight: bold">43.2gr</span> of H4350 with a previous keg and 43.1 and 43.3gr showed higher ES and SD, combined with worse grouping at 100, 300 and 400yds. I just switched to a new keg that apparently runs hotter. It turns out it "runs a tenth of a grain hotter" as far as I can tell. My new load is <span style="font-weight: bold">43.1gr</span> and the 43.2 and 43.0gr loads shoot worse. In addition, my previous load of 43.2gr shows a noticeable difference pressure-wise on my brass as well, with the new keg.

To say a tenth of a grain doesn't make a difference is false. At least, for smaller calibers.

LOL

I could not get my beam scale to give me consistent results and I only worked that out when my chargemaster told me so.

Good bits of gear they are :D,

memo43, if you pulled apart a box of federal gold match, and measured the inconsistencies that would tell you how much buffer room you have.

I would say, record setting ammo would have to be extremely consistent.

Good ammo would be relatively good at long range but will always be that step bellow record setting ammo. I think Fed GM falls into this category.

And then you have not so consistent handloads. Charges are not individually weighed, instead thrown straight into the case. Seating depth not considered. Run-out not taken into consideration etc.

A good accuracy node should be forgiving of .1grn under/over,

If your load isn't, then trickle slower?
laugh.gif

I'm critical about charge weights. I weigh each one. I figure why should I be hit and miss about the charge after I've gone to the trouble of figuring out which one actually works.

Another thing I try to maintain is a consistent neck tension. And finally, with a SAAMI chamber, I believe the only case prep process that has a definite benefit is flash hole reaming.

On the balance, I try to weigh handloading diligence against marksmanship diligence. Keeping it all at its simplest is my main goal.

Greg

I weight each charge on an RCBS Chargemaster and check every 20th round on my Ohous 10-10. +/- 0.1 grain is fine for me and haven't noticed any difference in group sizes in either 223 or 308. Then again I only shoot to a max of 600 yards in 308 and 300 yards in 223.