• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Did You Break-in Your GAP 10

dduck44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Did you adhere to the procedure recommended by GAP?
Either way-what are your groups lookin like?

The G.A. Precision Break In Procedure For break-in, the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure, outlined below consists of removing the carbon fouling followed by the copper fouling.

Step 1 Carbon Fouling: Push 2 saturated cotton patches through the barrel (Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover or Eliminator Bore Cleaner). This will remove the loose powder fouling and wet the inside of the barrel with solvent. Next, wet a nylon brush with solvent and stroke the inside of the barrel 5-10 times. This is followed by another wet patch and then 2 dry patches.

Step 2 Copper Fouling: Now, push 2 saturated cotton patches through the barrel (Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover or Eliminator Bore Cleaner,). Next, wet a nylon brush with solvent and stroke the inside of the barrel 5-10 times. Let the chemical soak for 3-5 minutes. This is followed by another wet patch and then 2 dry patches. Repeat steps if necessary.

REPEAT: Steps 1 & 2 after each shot for the first 10-12 rounds.

The copper fouling will be heavy for a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. Once it has stopped or diminished significantly (normally 10-12 rounds) it is time to start shooting 5 shot groups, cleaning after each one. After 25-30 rounds, clean at a normal interval of 10-25 rounds. Your barrel is now broken-in.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to dry out the chamber after cleaning to remove solvent, a pistol rod with a 45 cal nylon brush works well using a patch over it. Failure to keep the chamber clean and dry will raise pressure to extreme levels.

Re: How Did You Break-in Your GAP 10

Nope. Just shoot it. All that crap you wrote is unnecessary.

Oh come on now, I believe there is a picture around here of you cleaning it when you first got it from George
wink.gif

I clean mine every 400-500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh come on now, I believe there is a picture around here of you cleaning it when you first got it from George
wink.gif

I clean mine every 400-500.</div></div>

I might have, might have also been my GAP AR10 that is a lot older. I have 3 different GAP Semi Auto 308s, could have been different one.

I know we never broke in the GAP10 and may have cleaned it after the weekend ? I know I havent' cleaned it since...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why clean if it works and shoots just fine?? </div></div>

I like cleaning my rifle. However, I only own one rifle.

I shot 250 rounds through it suppressed without cleaning. It ran like a champ . My experience with the stuff GAP builds is that I have never broken in a barrel. George onetime told me if it is going to shoot it will. . So just get out and shoot.

Thanks guys.
Yeah, seems like the majority of people don't follow that process and I think the ones that do do so as a mixture of voodoo and tradition.

I am going to "break in" mine when it gets here. I figure it cant hurt, plus when I am done ill have some nice fireformed brass to reload.

Think I went through the 700 round mark today with the 6 creed more trying to shoot that 30 round drill and noticed it opening up a little bit. Cleaned it for the first time, fired 2 fowlers and cranked out a .5 in 5 rounder and the rains came.
Going to rerun that drill and not shoot 30 consecutive rounds, last two sets start to open or I am not seeing the target well through mirage.

Has anyone ever done an honest side-by-side comparison of two brand new rifles of the exact same; breaking one in.. and just shooting the other?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever done an honest side-by-side comparison of two brand new rifles of the exact same; breaking one in.. and just shooting the other?

</div></div>

I have, with two identical TRG-22 rifles and there was absolutely no difference what so ever...

Shoot it and move on,

Cool... so a single patch never went down one of them, ever.. and to this day it's as good as the one "Broken in" ?

That seems counter-intuitive.. but interesting.
Did you do a write-up on it?

No, never wrote it up,

I don't break in barrels at all anymore unless there is a specific reason too. In the last several years there has only been one rifle that required me to actually break it in, so that it shot better after than before.

This was my Gradous 6.5CM and "I" chambered that rifle under supervisor, and I have no clue how to run a machine, gauge the speed which I ran the reamer in, etc. The rifle needed about 100 rounds of shooting and cleaning before it finally started grouping well. But it was clear the rifle was asking for it to be done. Unmistakeable.

Otherwise I don't break them in, I shoot them and then I use "WipeOut" bore foam for about 5 minutes and move on. I don't scrub, or use aggressive solvents, and when I do use a brush it's usually nylon and I only put about 4 pushes through the barrel with them. I foam and patch when I get home and after mainly use a bore snake until about 1000 rounds, then I use WipeOut again.

Here is what I've found with my GAP-10.

I bought new and shot it. Put about 20-30 rounds through it. I cleaned it and checked for copper, not much so I shot some more, maybe 50 or so. Checked for copper again and same thing, not much.

I noticed after cleaning it the POI was all over the place. It took about 15 rounds to settle back in. It really pissed me off at first. I then went to a class and talking with the instructor he advised to stop cleaning it.

The first day zeroing was a bitch because I had cleaned it before the class. After the 15 or so rounds it started shooting great. That night I did not clean it, at all. I added some lube to the BCG and drove on.

The second day of class, the POI was the same as POA, just how I left it the first day.

Lesson learned. I do not clean the bore any more until the accuracy falls off or about 500-600 rounds. And then I will only remove the powder fouling. This barrel does not seem to gather copper very much so I find trying to remove something that is not there is a waste of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Lesson learned. I do not clean the bore any more until the accuracy falls off or about 500-600 rounds. And then I will only remove the powder fouling. This barrel does not seem to gather copper very much so I find trying to remove something that is not there is a waste of time. </div></div>

That is good information to know. I will try that next time I buy a new rifle.