• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do I convert a rifle lower to sbr lower?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I have a aero 308 rifle that Im considering turning into a 12.5" and didn't want to get a pistol brace, so I'd like to register the lower as a sbr...

How do I go about doing so?

I always consult this page when doing NFA related forms just to make sure I'm crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's.

So there has to be engraving, even though the lower is factory ?
    Yes, you are changing the status of that firearm from a Title 1 to a Title 2, you do not need to serialize it, i.e., you can retain the serial number that the original Manufacturer (you are not the manufacturer) used, but you are the "Maker" an need to engrave your name (or the name of the Trust if you go that route) and your location. I would also highly advise you to submit electronically (ATF eForm 1).

I have seen the engraving on the inside of the mag well. So it doesn’t stick out. Wish I did that with mine. Try to find a NFA dealer that does engraving.

Reactions: FuhQ
    I would engrave first. I had an engraving place that specialized In nfa engraving mess up my 9mm AR lower. They were able to fix it and make it look ok but made me think it’s better to get it done before submitting the paperwork. Also function test everything. Once the paperwork is submitted and approved it’s much harder to get things fixed and if it’s not fixable and has to be replaced your out the $200 and the wait.

Reactions: Rtlm2007
    You go to BATFE website and establish an account for yourself. Follow the simple instructions to File eForm 1 for mfg. a firearm.......you will be will converting an established mfg. lower serialized non-SBR to the same serialized SBR, the barrel length being the only difference. You will need to have photos of the serial # on the lower to upload to the BATFE website; there will be drop down menus from which you will select your Aero original mfg. ; you will alter the overall firearm length and barrel length in the dialogue boxes as they appear. You will need a passport styled self-photo to upload as well. At the "why are building this firearm" query, you input "Any Legal Purpose" usage. It's simple, pay your $200 bucks via credit card. IF you have done everything correctly, within 3-10 days you will get an email, "Your status has changed"......you need to have already acquired Two sets of fingerprints to immediately send off in the next few days; I send my overnight or 48 hours with signature required confirmation; within 1-3 weeks you will get an email approval of your Application, this is the document you keep ! for your records, no longer do you get snail mail paper tax stamped papers. Check your email / junk email daily to make sure you haven't missed their responses ! There is no need to engrave any U.S. mfg. firearm lower, as they have already met the BATFE standards as to font size and depth o serial number identification.

Interesting. I used Texas law shield for my trust and to help understand the nfa crap. Granted this was around 10 years ago that I started but they had told me I needed to engrave my trusts name and location on any of my guns I was going to SBR. Did they change the rules or was I just mis informed?

If you find you need to mail it for engraving, get it done before you submit to ATF. Had a friend get approved then mailed the lower to a engraver only to have UPS drive the truck over the package and crush the lower. ATF required paying another $200 for a second registration.

If you find you need to mail it for engraving, get it done before you submit to ATF. Had a friend get approved then mailed the lower to a engraver only to have UPS drive the truck over the package and crush the lower. ATF required paying another $200 for a second registration.
    Would advise against just in case the atf makes you change the submitted engraving. I had to on my first SBR, ATF told me I could not abbreviate anything except the state. I originally had it with my first initial and last name. Got my form 1 back to correct and then return to them for processing.

Would advise against just in case the atf makes you change the submitted engraving. I had to on my first SBR, ATF told me I could not abbreviate anything except the state. I originally had it with my first initial and last name. Got my form 1 back to correct and then return to them for processing.
    You probably are giving good advice! I never had any problems following instructions and was always approved on the first effort but that was many years ago. I'm sure things have changed which might make it more confusing.

You probably are giving good advice! I never had any problems following instructions and was always approved on the first effort but that was many years ago. I'm sure things have changed which might make it more confusing.
    This was 13 years ago, I was kinda shocked it had to be so involved. Who would have thunk your first initial wouldn’t be good enough? Seemed logical to me to keep the engraving short and sweet. After that one, it has been smooth sailing.

This was 13 years ago, I was kinda shocked it had to be so involved. Who would have thunk your first initial wouldn’t be good enough? Seemed logical to me to keep the engraving short and sweet. After that one, it has been smooth sailing.
    That's interesting..... While the majority of my collection is on Form 4s, I created a Trust for a SBR and used my initials in the Trust name i.e. engraving the lower with the same. Might have been okay since they were the same....

Only thing I’ll add is to expect closer to 1-2 moths for approval. The efile system isn’t as fast as it had been in the past.

That's interesting..... While the majority of my collection is on Form 4s, I created a Trust for a SBR and used my initials in the Trust name i.e. engraving the lower with the same. Might have been okay since they were the same....
    Engraved name must be exactly what is on the form, so no issues if your trust is an abbreviation.

I've done a few. I recommend getting it engraved first but make sure the first one is good for name. Incase they is a mess up or if you ship it out, it gets "lost" by carrier. Then your form and $200 is tied to that serial number. Just assurance that if it's completed before sending in the paperwork it's just less risk. Just how I've done it since anything can be added to a trust anyway.

Laser engrave inside the magwell or the top part of the trigger area would be cleanest. Wish I thought about it before I did mine. I've done it on the opposite side of where the manufacturer engravings are.

Make sure engraving is a minimum of .003" deep. Font must be 1/16th of an inch or larger.
    Trust should be exact as it shows on the trust paperwork.
    Manufacturer city and state. Where it's made into a NFA item. Where it is located, where you are.

When it comes to the name, I believe abbreviations were accepted in the past. But now it's been full names. Maybe it's being rejected to use common initials or they have some kind of list so that 2 trusts don't get confused? Only the state should be abbreviated.

I'd assume a word with a common known abbreviation within the name is ok, but the name itself isn't. (not sure, this is just my opinion)

Example:
    Snipershide Manufacturing engraved as Snipershide MFG, but not S.H. MFG.

After typing this, I read through the post. Glad to see good advice.