• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do I get dope?

Nicholas Baio

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2022
Texas
Hey guys, finally got my EGW 40 MOA rail for the T1X. Looks great and functions even better. I got everything mounted including my Vortex SE, but how do I find dope for my rifle? This is the first time ever zeroing a scope like this, and I need help. Also, I plan on getting a kestrel eventually, but where is a good place to start for ballistics applications?

I plan on taking her out to the range for the first time this weekend, so any help is appreciated!

Reactions: bensonave
Dial 40 MOA down, then bore sight it. It should get you on paper then adjust from there.

As to actual dope that depends on the particular cartridge used. The listed velocity and BC should be enough to get you close along with your measured sight height over bore and environmental data with whatever app you chose to use (or JBM's website).

Reactions: Nicholas Baio
Hey guys, finally got my EGW 40 MOA rail for the T1X. Looks great and functions even better. I got everything mounted including my Vortex SE, but how do I find dope for my rifle? This is the first time ever zeroing a scope like this, and I need help. Also, I plan on getting a kestrel eventually, but where is a good place to start for ballistics applications?

I plan on taking her out to the range for the first time this weekend, so any help is appreciated!
I'd recommend getting the ballistics application Strelok Pro for your smartphone (assuming you have a smartphone 🥴 ) and play with it for a while to get to know it before you try inputting data. You'll certainly want a Kestrel, like a Drop 3 that can pair with the Streloc Pro that give you information on atmospherics or the larger Kestrel that also give you wind speeds. Also, you'll need a good chronograph like a MagnetoSpeed or if you need to go much cheaper, the ProChrono would be a good choice. You'll need those devises to get and record your ballistic data.

Here's a video on the Strelok Pro that you might find helpful regardless which app you might be interested in:

Last edited:
I'd just start by bore sighting it when you get to the range. Depend on the distances your range has, you can get actual Dope. But I'd start at 50 and go from there. Get it zeroed and record all your data at each range.
As for ballistic apps. I've got streloc and I've got GeoBallistics. They both have their pros and cons. I'd start with the free version of either.

Reactions: Nicholas Baio
there are some free apps. you can also find ballistic charts for various ammo and use that as a starting point.

22lr-ballistics-for-your-rifle-webopt.jpg

I'd recommend getting the ballistics application Strelok Pro for your smartphone (assuming you have a smartphone 🥴 ) and play with it for a while to get to know it before you try inputting data. You'll certainly want a Kestrel, like a Drop 3 that can pair with the Streloc Pro that give you information on atmospherics or the larger Kestrel that also give you wind speeds. Also, you'll need a good chronograph like a MagnetoSpeed or if you need to go much cheaper, the ProChrono would be a good choice. You'll need those devises to get and record your ballistic data.

Here's a video on the Strelok Pro that you might find helpful regardless which app you might be interested in:

I have an iPhone!

How I’ve done it:
Shoot on an accurately measured range at as many different distances as you can, especially at the farthest distances possible.
Keep VERY good notes on the exact amount of clicks/MOA/Mil it takes to get centered on every distance possible.
All this time you should also be recording velocity numbers and environmentals.
Take that data home, download a ballistic app and start playing with Ballistic Coefficient numbers and scope height to “true” your app so that the adjustments called for match your real world experience.
Next time you can shoot, punch in the new environmentals, pic a distance you haven’t shot, run the numbers in your app, dial and shoot. Document any variance, but if your velocity and atmospherics are accurate, you are likely spot on.

How I’ve done it:
Shoot on an accurately measured range at as many different distances as you can, especially at the farthest distances possible.
Keep VERY good notes on the exact amount of clicks/MOA/Mil it takes to get centered on every distance possible.
Take that data home, download a ballistic app and start playing with Ballistic Coefficient numbers and scope height to “true” your app so that the adjustments called for match your real world experience.
Next time you can shoot, punch in the new environmentals, pic a distance you haven’t shot, run the numbers in your app, dial and shoot. Document any variance, but if your velocity and atmospherics are accurate, you are likely spot on.
This ^

You can enter most of the data ahead of time in a ballistic app. I use StrelokPro. It will get you close for your range session

If you want the other dope. Go to 10 ave/5th street. Approach the guy in the blue jacket. Ask to speak with Roy. You ask to speak with Roy because there is no Roy. He’ll take care of you from there

Zero at 50. You have a reticle in your scope? Shoot a group at 100 and measure with the reticle, this is your dope. Crank your turret to match the measurement, if everything works correctly you shoot another group into the bull at 100 and confirmed your dope. Continue moving out until you run out of range, turret and reticle or ammo.
BallisticARC is a very good app too.

How I’ve done it:
How do get validity numbers without a crono?

How do get validity numbers without a crono?
You to have some valid numbers to work from, it’s all math.
In my case the temperature and my particular ammo seem to run very close: 72F = 1072 FPS, 57F = 1057 FPS
This gives me a baseline on match day when I can’t shoot through a chrony.
If you have your documented hits at various ranges, with accurate clicks, you can still get extremely close. Just remember, every bit of info you read off some site, post, ammo box, etc. must be verified before you can trust it.
I can give you all the numbers I’m using, but even with identical equipment, it would still be just a starting point.

Attachments

• AAF48ACE-EA0E-4EC3-814C-3DC10AACCDB9.png
    AAF48ACE-EA0E-4EC3-814C-3DC10AACCDB9.png
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • 601BF6F5-B15C-4128-AB11-A32E7340319D.png
    601BF6F5-B15C-4128-AB11-A32E7340319D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • CB8396FC-CBDA-4FAE-9321-1AC08B60E486.png
    CB8396FC-CBDA-4FAE-9321-1AC08B60E486.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 9D7C566C-81C3-46F2-859D-4953F361FDB2.png
    9D7C566C-81C3-46F2-859D-4953F361FDB2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 421557A6-177C-4EA4-8CB4-EABD43E3F68E.png
    421557A6-177C-4EA4-8CB4-EABD43E3F68E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
You to have some valid numbers to work from, it’s all math.
In my case the temperature and my particular ammo seem to run very close: 72F = 1072 FPS, 57F = 1057 FPS
This gives me a baseline on match day when I can’t shoot through a chrony.
If you have your documented hits at various ranges, with accurate clicks, you can still get extremely close. Just remember, every bit of info you read off some site, post, ammo box, etc. must be verified before you can trust it.
I can give you all the numbers I’m using, but even with identical equipment, it would still be just a starting point.
Thank you for the offer, I will start from scratch since I shoot lots of different ammo brand and will be a new learning experience for me.

Reactions: obx22
Hey guys, took her to the range here in north Texas and here were the results at 50yds! The advice to bore site at 50 was a huge help. Very quickly got on paper and then started testing some different ammos.

I am running a Q Erector .22 with these groups.

Funny enough, I ran into a very kind gentleman by the name of Wayne who shoots at North Texas rimfire. I noticed he was shooting a badass setup, mixed up his RimX for a Vudoo, but nevertheless started talking and asked him where I can get started around the area. If you shoot at North Texas Rimfire, it would be awesome to get more insight from you!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’m ready to have some fun!
2DFF88C5-F321-4597-99F7-CAB42155D42E.jpeg

Reactions: obx22