• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How do I remove checkering on an ADL stock?

Re: How do I remove checkering on an ADL stock?

The early pressed checkered stocks aren't wide enough in the forend however some will argue with me. The stock used on the M40 was the same stock that eventually became the early Varmint Special from Remington. In order to sand the forend and even pistol grip to remove all evidence it was press checkered will leave a small pistol grip area and an even narrower forend. Seen it done and they look like an after thought instead of an original.

The later 80's and early 90's ADL stock with the cut checkering are wider and leave more material after hogging out the barrel channel for the Varmint Special barrel contour! The mid to late 80's 700P(Police) used this style stock before going to the HS in early 90's. They looked like these I have.

Rem700walnutstocks002.jpg

If pressed, I’ve heard an iron and a wet towel can help raise the wood. At least enough to reduce the overall impact sanding would have on the shape.

A quick internet search should fill in the details.

The wood is compressed so much from the impression that steam don't do much. A small dent from bumping it against something harder doesn't compare to the pressure used from a machine. The impression also pushes the stain etc deeper into the wood so when sanded down till it feels smooth you can still see the outside border lines.