• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how do i speed up case prep

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
just finished uniforming 500 308 primer pockets, what a ball ache.
i see for trimming the guaird trimmer is the best , is they something of simmilar quality for primer pocket work?
or better still does anyone make a complete auto machine for case prep , like a dillon 1050 type of thing?
any ideas?

Re: how do i speed up case prep

I am down to just sizing and the Giraud for case-prep these days, but I use Lapua brass. I quit cleaning and uniforming pockets some time ago.

Do you have a cordless drill?

Witness,

Couple photos; 1st one is the chucked Primer pocket brush on an extension,
Primerbrush.jpg

Second is the flash deburring tool chucked in a cordless drill,
Flashholedeburrtool.jpg
[/quote]

I also screw my inside and outside chamfer cutters to the extension rod and perform those tasks in the same manner. All that is left for me to do is motorize my Forster case trimmers and I will have the world of case prep conquered!

I don't even brush, I just use the the pocket uniformer in a drill, cleans the pocket up nice. I only debur flash holes on the new cases.

Most annoying part to me is case trimming.... I would love a Giraud.

I use a meathod similar to the Sinclair, but on the cheap.

Take the Lyman Primer Pocket Uniformer and remove it from the handle.(~$15)
338732.jpg

Then go to lowes and pick up an Aluminum Screw Post Extension to attach it to. (~$1)
aluminum_posts-1.jpg

By using the screw post extension the threads don't get mashed by the drill chock.

RCBS has the Case Prep center, and Hornady is also coming out with one. RCBS makes all these tools to screw into one of the 5 stations for case prep. The RCBS center is great and sits on the bench. I use it for debur/chamfer, primer pocket cleaning, uniforming and cleaning primer pockets.
I stopped cleaning primer pockets (for my personal ammo), since I showed no difference in clean vs. non-cleaned.
For case trimming, the Giraurd is the BEST option out there.

The only thing I do with primer pockets is swage if needed. I don't even clean 'em. I ream flash holes. Otherwise all my case work consists of is F/L resizing, each reloading. When necks split, I load the unsplit ones as hunting loads, and start up a new batch of brass. All charges are hand weighed, and bullets are seated to an average of .010-.015" off the lands. That's it.

I used to be a slave to the Dillon, but after a couple of decades of dotting I's and crossing T's, I've cut to the chase and only do the absolute minimum necessary to make the ammo go bang. I shoot SAAMI chambers only, and the difference in accuracy between getting obsessed and just doing basics is small enough that I can live with it. If I were to give two batches of my ammo and my rifle to someoene else, one done each way, I doubt they could tell which was which.

I never load more ammo than I need for my next match, and never more than two weeks in advance. Bulk reloading goes against my grain, I don't like ammo sitting around waiting to be used, I find that necks get bondy/sticky and neck tensions get unreliable.

Greg

cheers for all that, ive used the cordless drill method but that seems slow , not as fast or neat as the giraud trimmer.
i wonder if any of the garage inventors on here have thougght about an automated system ,

I clean primer pockets, but never FL size... I detest it. I just neck size and keep my brass segregated. I don't FL size till the bolt starts getting hard to close.
grin.gif

How to speed up case prep: Run the wall-clock on 30 cycle A/C electricity. Now case prep only takes 1/2 the time.....

But, realistically, this is something that only takes time once in the life of a case. Make you cases last 25-50 reload cycles, and the time issue of case prep basically goes away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cheers for all that, ive used the cordless drill method but that seems slow , not as fast or neat as the giraud trimmer. </div></div>

This isn't some of that dry English understatement where "cordless" means a hand powered tool?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i wonder if any of the garage inventors on here have thougght about an automated system , </div></div>

It's on my "to do" list right after my Berdan to Boxer primer conversion process and converting film cameras to digital.

Just think, I won't have to throw away any more brass and all those obsolete film cameras can be brought back into service. With Billy Mays gone I guess it's up to Queequeg...

Queequeg
Whats wrong with grandads hand drill been in the familly for years!!!
Anyway upgrading the rifle to one of those fancy new fangeled flintlocks!
See the Uk has its finger on the pulse

Cheers to everone for there imput

Hollands gunsmithing makes a great machine called the Brass Monkey. Perfect for uniforming/cleaning primer pockets, neck turning, chamfering, deburring,etc I wouldn't prep brass without it. i also use the gracey primer pocket cleaner. its just this little motor with a copper brush the spins and cleans primer pockets as fast as you can put the pocket on the brush..hope that helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am down to just sizing and the Giraud for case-prep these days, but I use Lapua brass. I quit cleaning and uniforming pockets some time ago. </div></div>

Measuring some Lapua pockets I can see why. Pretty boring
laugh.gif

Why do you not clean them thou?

+1 on using Lapua to reduce steps in the brass prep process. I do not clean primer pockets or make them uniform before first loading with Lapua brass. I prime, throw powder, seat the bullet and shoot new Lapua brass. People say it is expensive and it is but it is so uniform that you need to do less.

My two cents,

+100

"RCBS has the Case Prep center, and Hornady is also coming out with one. RCBS makes all these tools to screw into one of the 5 stations for case prep. The RCBS center is great and sits on the bench. I use it for debur/chamfer, primer pocket cleaning, uniforming and cleaning primer pockets."

I love my case prep center....

just looked at the holland brass monkey looks like a good bit of kit, but the sinclar version is about $200 cheaper
any thoughts , thats a big difference