• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do my primers look? 6 loads tested

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hi guys, this is my first set of hand loads ever! I reloaded some 6.5 creedmoor brass with H4350 powder, CCI large rifle primers, and hornady 140gr a-max, loaded to 2.800" OAL. Brass was brand new and I only neck-sized them (should I have maybe full-length resized them?). I fired these from my Savage 12LRP rifle and I'd like to get your opinion on any signs of pressure before I go any higher.

6 charges are organized in rows from left to right: 39.5, 40.0, 40.5, 41.5, 42.0, 42.5

brass2.jpg

Close ups of: 40.5, 41.0, 42.0, 42.5
brass1.jpg

brass3.jpg

Think I can go higher to 43.0? BTW no signs of difficulty operating the bolt handle, though I did notice my rifle failed to extract a few times here and there (it would leave the shells upside down on top of the magazine).

Last edited:
Primers show no signs of over pressure that I can see from pics.

Make sure the rest of the brass looks good, and if you want to be really anal compare high charge empties with low charge empties with a good caliper.

I don't really see anything that jumps out at me in the pics. I always full length size new brass.

Also: If they were new, you were fine not full length sizing, though I always do. They are now fire formed either way.

If you got them second hand already fired, then you should always full length size.

The 39.5gr low charge empties are measuring in around 1.716 and the high pressure 42.5 are measuring in around 1.719. Still under the maximum case length of 1.720.

Screw the brass (lol jk brass looks good) how did they shoot!!!! Pic of target hello! Hehehe

Im thinking about buying the very same rifle......i smell range report inc!!!

Hi guys, this is my first set of hand loads ever! I reloaded some 6.5 creedmoor brass with H4350 powder, CCI large rifle primers, and hornady 140gr a-max, loaded to 2.800" OAL. Brass was brand new and I only neck-sized them (should I have maybe full-length resized them?). I fired these from my Savage 12LRP rifle and I'd like to get your opinion on any signs of pressure before I go any higher.

6 charges are organized in rows from left to right: 39.5, 40.0, 40.5, 41.5, 42.0, 42.5

brass2.jpg

Close ups of: 40.5, 41.0, 42.0, 42.5
brass1.jpg

brass3.jpg

Think I can go higher to 43.0? BTW no signs of difficulty operating the bolt handle, though I did notice my rifle failed to extract a few times here and there (it would leave the shells upside down on top of the magazine).

Here's the target...got some good shots in at 100 yards in 100F heat prone. The middle row and bottom row were sight-ins @ 50. The top row were my 41.5gr loads.

target1.jpg

I then hit at 12" round steel plate at 335y, 600y, and my farthest shot ever: 753y.

Overall I really like the rifle. It is a bit nose heavy (a 24" barrel would be better balanced) but recoil is very light!

Its also in need of a paint job. I took its temperature with an infrared thermometer and the stock/barrel was 120F in the desert sun.

Once I get some more range time I will do a write up.

savagelrp.jpg

Last edited: