• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How do suppressor affect accuracy?

K80/6.5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2019
Kirkwood, Missouri
How do suppressors affect accuracy? Is it strictly barrel harmonics or does baffle design also play a factor? I’m not worried about a point of impact shift. I will only shoot suppressed. Just curious what makes one suppressor better than another for precision bolt rifle.

Last edited:
Its almost guaranteed youll have some impact shift although i have one gun/can combo without any. As far as accuracy its a case by case basis. All of my rifles were either unchanged or accuracy was improved with a can.

How does suppressors affect accuracy? Is it strictly barrel harmonics or does baffle design also play a factor? I’m not worried about a point of impact shift. I will only shoot suppressed. Just curious what makes one suppressor better than another for precision bolt rifle.
I think its weight on a barrel.Change harmonics and shieft POI

I've only seen improvements or no change myself.

I have seen speeds improve or stay the same also.

I'm in the harmonic dampening camp. Which ever black magic is at play I don't worry about it, just shoot.

What difference between weight of thith cans
Decent amount between the TBAC and omega 36m. I don’t run them on the same guns. Different guns have different host suppressors. But wether I worked the load up Unsuppressed or factory ammo the suppressor doesn’t have a negative effect

What mount you use can affect your accuracy, or at least your return to zero. A direct thread or taper mount will be best.

If you want precision, buy a precision can.

Cans built poorly and with high runout can negatively effect precision. Mount quality matters as well.

Thunderbeast, Abel Co, are some of the ones I would look at.

I’m not sure of the merit and maybe someone can enlighten us, but I have heard suppressors meant for precision do not have a clipped first baffle.

How does suppressors affect accuracy?
It’s “do” my good man; how do suppressors affect accuracy.

But piddle-posh all that,

This is all you need to know for your good way forward:
7E7561E1-5E00-4623-99CD-E7F107FBB620.jpeg

Have you ever seen an accurate savage? Well, one that you’d deign to own? (man or machine lol)

Talley ho!

I'm going to be lone dissent apparently. I have a .308 that shoots bugholes without the can using Norma Match.

Put my ultra 7 on and opens up to 11/2" at 100.

Same can on a couple other rifles, no issues.

That rifle doesn't get shot suppressed..

I'm going to be lone dissent apparently. I have a .308 that shoots bugholes without the can using Norma Match.

I head same problem i solved it when im using extra weight on barrell.

I've only seen improvements or no change myself.

I have seen speeds improve or stay the same also.

I'm in the harmonic dampening camp. Which ever black magic is at play I don't worry about it, just shoot.
Supressors cant change MV no phisics laws exist for it

Really, the gas can't keep on pushing for that extra 6.5 inches? Even if not pushing, it's not dragging yet.

I have noticed on larger cartridges I'll loose 20-50fps taking the can off. I've seen it across multiple cans, multiple rifles. When my SD is 5-8, extreme of 15, and I pick up 50 when the can is on, I trust results more than theory.

Reactions: kthomas
Really, the gas can't keep on pushing for that extra 6.5 inches? Even if not pushing, it's not dragging yet.

I have noticed on larger cartridges I'll loose 20-50fps taking the can off. I've seen it across multiple cans, multiple rifles. When my SD is 5-8, extreme of 15, and I pick up 50 when the can is on, I trust results more than theory.
Bullet speed drops emeediatli after berrels crown.Can makes this gas moves slover then in barrell behind bullett.

Bullet speed drops emeediatli after berrels crown.Can makes this gas moves slover then in barrell behind bullett.

As I said, reality proves there's something wrong with your theory.

I choose to live in reality with the results I recorded. They are way better at getting hits.

Definitely get more speed with the can. I've chrono-ed it both ways many many times on 6cm, 6.5cm, and .308. All of them are a little faster with a can. This is a known phenomenon. Unless you have a really long barrel any centerfired is faster with a precision can on it.

Definitely get more speed with the can. I've chrono-ed it both ways many many times on 6cm, 6.5cm, and .308. All of them are a little faster with a can. This is a known phenomenon. Unless you have a really long barrel any centerfired is faster with a precision can on it.

I dont saw thith effects in live.Tray mesured MV bay bullet drop in 500m.
May bee chrono works not correct whith can

I recently chrono'd my 308 bolt gun using a Magnetospeed with and without a Huxwrx HD-QD762Ti and no change in velocity, like a 5fps variance that could have been my loads. Hux makers great "precision" suppressors as well and their muzzle devices have always been spot-on so worth a look.

I have a traditional "baffle" suppressor I just got in but haven't had a chance to test any changes in MV with it yet. Not expecting any really.

I recently chrono'd my 308 bolt gun using a Magnetospeed with and without a Huxwrx HD-QD762Ti and no change in velocity, like a 5fps variance that could have been my loads. Hux makers great "precision" suppressors as well and their muzzle devices have always been spot-on so worth a look.

I have a traditional "baffle" suppressor I just got in but haven't had a chance to test any changes in MV with it yet. Not expecting any really.
Using a Hux on a bolt gun seems like it would be super loud.

It actually does pretty well and was bought for my gas gun. I later bought a bolt gun and then a traditional suppressor specifically for it. The new Flow 762 does very well on a bolt gun. With that said, my new Enticer S Ti is remarkably quieter at an indoor range than the QD762. Pew data puts the newer Flow 762 and Enticer S at about equal performance so very much looking forward to my Flow arriving.

It works just fine with the can. Not sure what else you are saying here.
What I wanted to say is that try to measure the speed by the method of dropping a bullet at 300-500 meters.
Naturally, your sights with and without a suppressor were reset.
Naturally, do this in about maximum good condition

What I wanted to say is that try to measure the speed by the method of dropping a bullet at 300-500 meters.
Naturally, your sights with and without a suppressor were reset.
Naturally, do this in about maximum good condition
I dope out my rifles well beyond that but you're talking about muzzle velocity and then velocity at 500. They aren't the same thing.

Doesn't surprise me with a flow through. Less gas trying to get out of the can behind the bullet.

It's generally not a huge leap. As some cartridges and barrel lengths I'd see 4-500 fps from 6.5" of barrel, but I see 50 with 6.5" of can.

I’m not sure of the merit and maybe someone can enlighten us, but I have heard suppressors meant for precision do not have a clipped first baffle.
I have yet to see definitive proof either way.

But I'm pretty sure TBAC is one who doesn't clip the 1st. I could be totally wrong.

As @kthomas alluded to; the TBAC fellas may just know the answer.

FWIW my F1 mag can has all 10 baffles single clipped.

Every rifle is different. Generally, in my limited experience, I get ever so slightly tighter groups suppressed but nothing better ammo couldn't do on it's own.

I have put more than one of my guns on a chrony both suppressed and unsuppressed. I'll have to see if I can dig up the last spreadsheet I did, I think it was 22lr.

On my crappy little FV-SR 16" with a Spectre I recorded and average increase in MV of about 10% maybe a little less.

Same day, same can, same chrony, same ammo (CCI-SV) I recorded a drop in MV on my buddy's FV 20" ... forget the exact percentage.

Some people used to call it "free bore boost" where the gas in the can was still pushing on the projectile for an inch or so after it left the bore as it passed through the first baffle and before most of the gas passed the projectile inside the suppressor.

The reduction I can't explain.

But I'm pretty sure TBAC is one who doesn't clip the 1st. I could be totally wrong.

The first baffle isn’t clipped on my U7s and magnus.

Supposedly the ultra 5 is clipped on the first. I know the nomad LT is the same.

Reactions: AMGtuned

Supposedly the ultra 5 is clipped on the first. I know the nomad LT is the same.
U5 vs U7; I would guess the U5 was clipped to take advantage of the gasses in the small package for maximum suppression. The clip helps knock gas off the bore line. Again, speculation.

The Nomad is a coaxial design. Again, for suppression, but I'd bet the clip helps force gas to the coax chambers in this case too. Yet again, speculation. But I'm fully aware of he baffle design

I think the forward most baffle is symmetrical as well.

Diligent Defense does it the same way.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Im running an ultra 7 30 cal. Ive only
Really used it on my gas guns. Built a 22 creedmoor for coyotes and running a can. It was built by a very good gunsmith. Well for 170 rounds I chased load development with 80.5 bergers and 75 elds. Best I could get was .5-.6” at 100. I had 4 rounds left and light bulb finally went off and I took the suppressor off. Shot 0.26” four shot group.

So I load 5 more. Shot another .2-.3 five shot group. Not sure what the issue is but a very significant improvement in accuracy. Could the .30 cal bore cause too much turbulence or something. Or do you think its a harmonics issue?

Really used it on my gas guns. Built a 22 creedmoor for coyotes and running a can. It was built by a very good gunsmith. Well for 170 rounds I chased load development with 80.5 bergers and 75 elds. Best I could get was .5-.6” at 100. I had 4 rounds left and light bulb finally went off and I took the suppressor off. Shot 0.26” four shot group.

So I load 5 more. Shot another .2-.3 five shot group. Not sure what the issue is but a very significant improvement in accuracy. Could the .30 cal bore cause too much turbulence or something. Or do you think its a harmonics issue?
You sure the can is absolutely secure and that a cover isn't sliding forward of the muzzle on you or something?

This is how dramatic the difference was. Also was 3” straight up shift in poi.

Heres 2 - 3 shot groups with and one 4 shot without suppressor.

Attachments

• IMG_3623.jpeg
    IMG_3623.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3624.jpeg
    IMG_3624.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 7
I shoot a Maverick, TBAC Dominus, 338 Ultra, Ultra 5 and have zero POI shift between all 3 using an area419 sidewinder mount. This is among 3 rifles doing round robin between cans.

My KGM R6 gives me a 2/10th upward shift. So, not much.

Ymmv.

Dude... We've given them enough of our extortion...I mean... "tax" money... Let's not train them on how to shoot guns, too... 🤦🏼

I saw similar on a 19 Calhoun running a 30cal can. In my case tweaking the load got it better, but running a 5.56 can was the overall answer. Groups got back to normal with the smaller can.

Reactions: K80/6.5