• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do we feel about the Magpul PRS Lite?

Leicafan1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
USA
About to buy a Magpul PRS Lite for my latest build but I wanted to see if other people here are running this stock. I’ve heard that they can have fitment issues with certain buffer tubes but I was wondering if those issues have been resolved.

Last edited:
I have two sitting in boxes somewhere, I had no issues with fitting but after running them for a few months I have gone back to the full size gen 3 PRS stock personally. I prefer the options it offers me and will take the extra weight that comes with that for better or worse.

I used mine on mil-spec buffer tubes and a BCM A5 buffer tube without any issues but I've since put it back in the box and gone back to other collapsible stocks. The LOP situation was just barely ok and it turned out to not really be a value add for the two rifles I had it set up on compared to the stocks I'm using now.

Reactions: simonp
About to buy a Magpul PRS Lite for my latest build but I wanted to see if other people here are running this stock. I’ve heard that they can have fitment issues with certain buffer tubes but I was wondering if those issues have been resolved.
There are fitment issues though. Let me explain.

Look at the picture below. This is an enhanced PWS buffer tube. It will not be compatible with the PRS Lite. The little area of the channel that I have circled is the part on a regular buffer tube where the stock will index. If you use one like this your stock with rock back and forth about 1/2 and inch or so.

The PWS buffer tube is awesome, but it just doesn't work with the PRS Lite. Use a standard buffer tube design and you will be fine. On a standard one that area is sloped. The second picture is a standard buffer tube.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 91
Check your LOP against it before ordering. With the PRS lite i'm at 1/2" over my ideal LOP with it fully collapsed. I usually run 13-13.5" on my rifles and the shortest you can run the PRS lite is almost 14", making the 1.4" LOP adjustment useless in my situation. They built these for knuckle dragging orangutans apparently.

Hmm, I might just stick with what I’ve got.

I’m currently running Magpul CTR’s with Limbsaver pads and Larue reciprocating risers but I have the itch to try something new. I was pretty set on the PRS Lite but the reviews seem kinda mixed.

I guess the CTR is still king because you can trick them out with different aftermarket accessories to turn them into any kind of stock you want.

Check out the Arisaka Defense Stock Angle Adapter and Bag Rider. I have that combo on a Magpul SL-S and it's pretty nice but they also make it for the CTR.

Ya, I’ve been looking at that. Great idea but it’s pretty hilarious turning a $60 Magpul CTR into a $230 stock with ad-ons (Arisaka parts + Larue RISR).

Magpul really needs to make a much higher quality version of the Luth-AR MBA-3 and price it the same as the PRS Lite.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Tried a few of them on buddy's guns. Really want to like them just because I think they look cool, but the LOP is a deal breaker for me.

I don’t know why they did that. Average stock length of pull is 13.5 for a reason. The regular PRS is even longer IIRC. How many people really need LOP of 14-15.25”? I would think most are in that 13-13.5” range.

I don’t know why they did that. Average stock length of pull is 13.5 for a reason. The regular PRS is even longer IIRC. How many people really need LOP of 14-15.25”? I would think most are in that 13-13.5” range.
No idea. I do know a large amount of people that pull a collapsible stock all the way out with no thought given as to whether it fits them or not, so clearly not everyone is as LOP picky as I am.

Reactions: jb0311
If LOP is a concern, the Magpul UBR might be something to consider. It doesn't have a height adjustable cheek riser, but the cheek piece is as high as it can be while still being able to use most charging handles (some don't work well). Plus it includes an intermediate (A5) length RE. If you want to use a carbine length buffer/spring it has a spacer.
LOP collapsed/min
UBR Gen2 - 11.8"
PRS Lite - 13.9"
PRS Gen3 - 14.3"

I just finished a custom .308 for a customer who specified the PRS Lite.

IMG_3387.jpeg

I was pretty underwhelmed. The cheek riser is too far back (in order to clear the charging handle) on the stock to do any good. A number of carbine type stocks provide a better cheek weld, more adjustment in LOP, weigh much less, and cost less.

Last edited:

IMG_3387.jpeg

I was pretty underwhelmed. The cheek riser is too far back (to clear the charging handle) on the stock to do any good. A number of carbine type stocks provide a better cheek weld, more adjustment in LOP, weigh much less, and cost less.
I don't know what i expected, honestly. Maybe for magpul to take my disappointments from the PRS line and fix a couple thing, LOP and riser for starters. I have one on my latest large frame I put together, but i'll bitch about it whenever possible. What i'm most salty about however, is that it's the only one i have that I don't have a LAW folder on because that sends the LOP from "why is this so fucking long?" to "ok now its just ridiculously long"

Nice build regardless though. I'm sure he's happy at least.

Reactions: MSTN
No. You can solve the issue by 3d printing or creating a spacer out of *insert durable material of choice* to fill the gap between the buffer tube and stock though. I used a piece of delrin to make it work with a PWS buffer tube.

IMG_3387.jpeg

I was pretty underwhelmed. The cheek riser is too far back (to clear the charging handle) on the stock to do any good. A number of carbine type stocks provide a better cheek weld, more adjustment in LOP, weigh much less, and cost less.
That rifle does look tits though, so that's gotta be worth something.

Reactions: lash and MSTN

IMG_3387.jpeg

Not to completely derail the thread, but is this cerakoted armor black, graphite black or neither? Have had similar experiences with the PRS lite having the cheek riser too far back.

Reactions: MSTN
I’ve run the CTR when I was first building my precision AR and honestly enjoyed it. Might look into the B5 precision stock if you’re shopping around. Currently running one and loving it

I'm 6'6". The only reason I ditched my CTR for the Gen 3 PRS is the ability to lower the butt plate and get the optic higher to my eye without using a riser. It's a heavy bitch, but the light lacks that feature so I deal with it. I wish I was average size because the CTR is really light and a great stock, all around. If your not tall or just have a long LoP, I don't see the point in either PRS.

I'm 6'6". The only reason I ditched my CTR for the Gen 3 PRS is the ability to lower the butt plate and get the optic higher to my eye without using a riser. It's a heavy bitch, but the light lacks that feature so I deal with it. I wish I was average size because the CTR is really light and a great stock, all around. If your not tall or just have a long LoP, I don't see the point in either PRS.
I’m going to stick with my CTR with the Larue riser. I’m convinced that the CTR is the best AR stock ever made and with some Larue and Arisaka add on’s you can turn it into a full blown precision rifle stock that still weighs less than a PRS gen 3.

I’ve got a CTR with the Arisaka upgrades…. It’s awesome

Hated the gen 3
I dig the lite

Attachments

• 1683987162977393729166781173186.jpg
    1683987162977393729166781173186.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 144
It’s a quality product like anything else Magpul sells. I think alot of its limitations are carefully designed in to give the market what it wanted without cannibalizing sales of the full PRS.

I have one, and Luth-ARs and a full PRS. If I was to build another AR I’d go with the Luth-AR or a full PRS. I wouldn’t get another Lite for the same reasons others have stated.

Reactions: Bluedog82
Based on comments on the Hide, I ordered a VLTOR RE-10/A5SR receiver extension to go with my 6.5CM AR-10 build that will run a Magpul PRS Lite. That tube seems to have positive feedback on how it works with the Magpul PRS Lite.

So early May order ... went from 2 week delay to now end of August. VLTOR good about answering emails, but I am getting the rope-a-dope on when they will actually make and supply a simple buffer tube. It seems that, being on endless delay while sitting on orders with no estimated delivery time is a perfectly acceptable customer business model for VLTOR.

Any other suggestions on buffer tubes that work well with the Magpul PRS Lite? My complete build is finished minus this one piece. I also need to change up my AR-10 308 with same setup.

Thanks in advance.

Based on comments on the Hide, I ordered a VLTOR RE-10/A5SR receiver extension to go with my 6.5CM AR-10 build that will run a Magpul PRS Lite. That tube seems to have positive feedback on how it works with the Magpul PRS Lite.

So early May order ... went from 2 week delay to now end of August. VLTOR good about answering emails, but I am getting the rope-a-dope on when they will actually make and supply a simple buffer tube. It seems that, being on endless delay while sitting on orders with no estimated delivery time is a perfectly acceptable customer business model for VLTOR.

Any other suggestions on buffer tubes that work well with the Magpul PRS Lite? My complete build is finished minus this one piece. I also need to change up my AR-10 308 with same setup.

Thanks in advance.
Check out the BCM MK2 system and it looks like the components are in stock. I used their MK2/intermediate buffer tube on my SPR when I had the PRS Lite on it.

• Love
Reactions: fmorelli

Thanks in advance.
I don't know how well it fits a PRS Lite, but if you're looking for something to get you going until the Vltor is in stock, look at the UTG Pro TLU002. It's an intermediate (A5) length RE (~7.75" inside depth), 6 pos. mil-spec OD. It is 6061, but for $20 - $25, it might be worth it.

Reactions: fmorelli
I like mine, the LOP is long, but I am kind of a 6' Knuckle Dragger. ( Long arms )

Reactions: simonp