• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you adjust decapper in redding competition

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
I bought a set of competition dies used, no instructions. The ones with the micrometer neck sizer. How do you adjust the decapper length for varying neck sizing depths? My S dies have a lock nut to hold the decapper at a certain depth. As do all my other dies. The competion just screws the decapper into the micrometer head and either is just left loose or is bottomed out to one length. If I bottom it out it isn't long enough to decap the round. If I back it out there is nothing to hold it at that length. Any help with instruction on setting up these dies would be appreciated. I was going to call redding this week just forgot and was going to load some this weekend.
Thanks
Rad

Re: How do you adjust decapper in redding competition

in the top of the adjustment knob, there is a hole in which to put an allen wrench to lock the decapper where you want it. it has a set screw or something of the sort in there.

There's an allen head in the hole on top you just run down it's the end of the pin! Darn fine neck sizers.

Do you know the size of the allen wrench. I ran both of them down in there and neither engaged the set screw. I thought I had read that. I will try again. Maybe i just didnt have it lined up.
Thanks
Rad

I just went down stairs and figured that out. Its a used set of dies and someone must have stuck the wrong wrenches in the box. Have any of you changed the non epanding decapper out for an expander. I usually don't neck turn and will probably use an expander. Supposedly this was set up with the .290 bushing which he used to neck up lapua 243 brass. I guess with a seperate expander. Anyone use these without an expander?
Thanks for the quick answers.
Rad

Re: How do you adjust decapper in redding competit

Thanks winchester69 I guess I can just run new Lapua 243 brass over my 6.5x 284 expander button then resize in the 260 bushing die. If you have a better idea please chime in.
Thanks
Rad