• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do YOU deal with almost dying?

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
I came closer to buying the farm this morning that I ever have before. I was making a left on a green turn arrow when a blind old fuck from Idaho came barreling through the intersection from my right after his light had been red for about four seconds. He was driving a new Ford F350 towing a big flatbed and missed the front tire of my bike by less than two inches. Thank the good Lord I have above average peripheral vision and ride like everyone is out to get me. The speed he was traveling, it wouldn't have mattered if I was in my Charger...I'd have ended up a bloody smear on the road.

I was only about a hundred yards from work and when I got there I went to the back and closed myself in the training room and shook for about ten minutes while the adrenaline purged. I was left with a filthy headache and felt like I'd just run a marathon. It happened over six hours ago, but I still feel twitchy.

I've had a shotgun pointed at me from four feet away and didn't feel this messed up afterward.

What have you guys felt when you knew the reaper was deep into his backswing? What was the aftermath? (I've decided to get more life insurance so my wife can have a better life if I check out early...not something I had even really considered up 'til now.) Is my reaction typical or am I just a wuss?
wink.gif

I've started an infusion of Makers Mark and it seems to be helping...

Re: How do YOU deal with almost dying?

Point your finger to the sky and giv'em a wink, tell'em Thanks, and smile, and move on to another day,,,,THIS is a good day, the only one you've got!
Be thankful for the day you've got.

It took me quite some time to get over my experience. Not entirely sure I am over it yet. I know people deal with it in different ways, but it is definately good to talk about it, and recognize it. God Bless, and I hope you can shake it quickly

stay active. If your body goes thru trauma like what you are having now. Fight it with some physical activity. Go for a run, lift weights something like that. You will also get soar from the massive amount if adrenaline you faced. If you have access to a hot tub or sauna go chill out there for awhile.

I had a scary encounter with a tractor rolling over and almost killing myself in the process. Took me DAYS to come down from the adrenaline and alertness I was having.

Had a few for various reasons (almost all good reasons
smile.gif
) I have had a large life insurance policy for about 10 years now. Intresting to know that I am worth a LOT more dead than alive.

you have to ride like your invisable on a bike no one can see you, thats why i got rid of mine, as for the extra life insureance you may be making a better life for the new boyfriend or husband, at least thats how it turned out for the men i use to know, the vultures will swarm like white on rice when they get a whiff of green stuff.

First, you Thank the good Lord. You look around and see what you almost lost. And then go play the lottery - but take the car.

Oh, and what was the girl's name (shotgun incident?)

i partied for years thinking i was going to not live much past 19. at 18 i has a ruptured blood vessel in my skull almost kill me. out of the blue. never an issue and then pop... numbness... fade to black... anyway after i figured out i wasnt gonna die, i had to dig my ass out of the financial mess i got into, lol. but its strange. not much scares me anymore. i have a healthy respect for the things that will kill me as i should but regular stuff is just too small to sweat man. oh yeah, im 44 now. healthy, walking my dogs in the woods everyday.

Well, let's see now:

Intersection: yup
Riding: yup
Left turn involved: yup, sorta
Blind old F$^*: nope, there's where we differ alot.

For me, I was riding straight. Right lane, left track. Riding beside a car (in the left lane), and we're both going East. In the city. Clear night. 22:45hrs. Only other vehicle on the road, is a useless 18 y/o in oncoming lane (going West). She has her friend in the car, which belonged to her aunt.

We all get to the intersection at the same time, and wouldn't you guess it, she decides to turn left. With no signal, or without even changing into the left turn lane. From the center lane, she cuts over into our path.

The car beside me, (nice 68ish Cougar, IIRC, Candy-apple Red) swerved and went into oncoming traffic lane to avoid her. I banked right at the same time, to attempt to increase braking distance. I didn't have the throttle on that bike, to accelerate outta the way.

Contact.

Do you have any idea what the sound of your own pelvis snapping is like? I can describe it, vividly. I got to hear it, 3 times in that moment.

I crushed that "teardrop" tank that I'd just filled about 3 kilometers ago. Then when I was flying the first time, I was "ricocheted" higher and more to the right, off the windshield. It was when I landed, that I heard the snap for the 4th time. It's funny though, cause the sound of all my other bones breaking, were essentially "crunches", whereas the pelvis has a definingly deep "snap".

4 months later, I got out of the hospital. 7 months after the accident, I started learning how to walk again.

The rest, I'm going to leave alone, for now. The point of all this is, yeah, I kinda know what you're getting at.

But, an even sharper point is, YOU'RE NOT IN MY BOOTS. As in, THIS ALL didn't happen to you. So you wanna ask "how should I feel" and whatnot. Thank the Sweet Lord, that this didn't happen to you. Hug your wife and children, and go on about your business. You still have what you woke up with.

Revel in that.

as of recently lost my faith in the guy above, so giving thanks will not be my suggestion, but in most real close calls i've had over the years, once the initial shock wears off, i've done the live the next day better than the last, offered help to those that needed it, actually seen life as if it started all over again, as well it practically did.

seen everything through a new set of eyes, and didn't let the oppurtunity pass to smell the flowers - literally...

in perspective, anything and everything from here on out is icing on the cake, no matter how many bad hands life throws at you.

don't fear the reaper, death doesn't hurt.

They ARE out to get Ya! Ride like every vehicle on the road is a heat seeker after ya. Wear all yer gear. It's all You can do. Rest is up to The Big Guy.

Sean, . . . hear you loud and clear and still limp from time to time . . . . Ed

Whisper a thank you and keep on truckin'. I've come close three separate times due to the marines around my town speeding around. (Not at all a knock to marines, we have a lot, but only a few are reckless drivers.) I had the front of my car swiped by a speeder and that one made me spill my coffee, but I was never nervous afterwords. You can think "what if" all day long, but as long as you're okay, just be glad it turned out that way and move on.

I wave the cause an extended bird, say thankee for letting me live one more day, then rant for a few hours about it. After that a beer or bourbon is usually good. If it's bad enough when it happens I may sometimes follow the cause for an ass whooping

I have had a few close ones but the closest one was last summer i had a sniper shoot me in the side of the helmet. i came off post to get treated for a concussion. Then after a few fortifications later that night and for the next three days, that was the only post i stood. I did not want the fear to control me. I'm not saying go stick your car out into traffic by any means I'm just saying be prepared and don't let this one thing control you. learn from it and move on. from the sounds of it you have done that before.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing, guys. Y'all are a diverse lot and I do value the input I get here. I'm sorry some of you have been even closer to bein' worm food than I, but I'm glad that you didn't succumb.

FWIW:

I did thank the Big Guy.

I did go about my day as normally as I could.

I did ride home. I almost got sideswiped at low speed by another blind old dickhead, but managed to avoid him. I had a moment where I actually thought, "Well, this won't kill me, just mess up my bike and bang me up a little, so ehh, no biggie." (Big difference in perspective for me...I'd have been ready to kick this guys ass yesterday.)

I will ride my bike again tomorrow, and the next day, and every day there's not ice or snow on the road.

I will give thanks for what I have and what I can do, and recognize that "close" sure beats the alternative.

I did hug and kiss my wife.

I did get the feeling that I should spend less time doing some things that just aren't that important.

I'll decompress a little more and chalk it up to one of those unpleasant life experiences that help us appreciate how quickly all our plans for the future can disappear.

Thanks again, gents.

I had more than my fair share of near death experiences. Best way to deal with those scenarios is to appreciate life even more so than you already do. It really helps a lot.

Doorkicker!!! How the hell are ya!!???

OP - shit that happened once a week driving in Seattle...I watcheda guy buy it in a head on collision - he was on the ferry in front of me, 5 mminutes and it would have been me, but he got there first...Hit by a guy on a cell phone.

I have come close many times.

Sometimes we do some Dangerous shit at work and I will be teamed up with a younger guy. I let them know that this stuff can kill you and make sure they understand. I then ask them where they keep their Car Keys and they will tell me and I then ask them where they keep their wallet. By this time they ask why and I tell them if they get killed I don't want to have to search their pockets to get that stuff and it makes easier for me to get it before anyone else shows up trying to find it. I usually get some funny looks by this time. I then ask them if they have any Kids and what thier Wife looks like and they will ask why. I then tell them that the Kids will need a new Daddy and some one will have to console thier Wife and help her spend the Death benefits.

Oneday I was doing some Dangerous stuff and these two young guys asked me what my Wife looked like.(At that time I had been married for 23 years) So I told them and I said you two Puppy Nut Fucks won't stand a chance with her. I said the first time either one of you try to tell her a lie she will eat you up and spit you out. I said you ain't gonna tell her a lie she hasn't heard already.

This is how we deal with the possibility of dieing. Look at it and laugh. When it's your time it's your time.

Thank God for the chance to prove that He didn't make a mistake in putting you here in the first place.

Just so you know I know from where you're coming. August 1995, a 19 year old kid cut me up pretty badly in my home when I came home from work one night. Lost 7 pints of blood. Doctor told me if I hadn't been a large man I would not have made it. Second time was this past March. Had a gall bladder go gangreneous on me. They found the mess when they went in to take it out. All I can say is live each day so when the real thing comes you have no regrets--all you have to do is just die. Glad you're still with us.
Barry C Jolly

Well, I've had many experiences mostly from me being ignorant (I did and do dumb stuff). A motorcycles accident, emergency surgery, a bunch of problems, and stopped breathing. I woke up a day later. What I learned from that? Going out in a hospital would suck! There are cooler ways of going out!

Accidently hit a 220v line. Crawled into bed, woke up a day and a half later. My aunt thought I was really tired since I wouldn't wake up. What I learned? Be more careful with electricity, other then that? It hurt, terrible headache and scared the hell out of my aunt when I told her the story.

Iraq, will $550K be enough for my family? Should be. Lets have some fun!

My guys thought I was a little different.

Howdy fella.I know how you feel!July 2/09 a semi tractor driven by a 72yr old dumbass made an illegal left turn across my lane.I was on my 77 HD ironhead Sportster and when he made his turn I was maybe 30ft from him.I hit him behind the cab at about 50mph,in that instant of maybe a third of a second I knew I couldn't avoid it and closed my eyes just as my helmet hit the fairing behind the cab.I heard the sound my right leg made as the little walk way between the cab and first rear axle tore it off six inches above the knee.I heard the sound of my left foot shatter and my femur snap.I did not hear the axle of the truck break lose from it's mounts and hit the frame.I landed in the road about 50ft on the other side of the truck.I was out for just a few seconds and I remember seeing my bike and being really pissed and then seeing my leg that the fucker ran over after it was torn off.I blacked out for a few minutes and came to in the ambulance.I couldn't see anything but I knew it was bad.I could hear the paramedics talking about traumatic amputation of the right leg and massive dislocation of the left elbow,then I kinda zoned out.My very next thought was of my wife and 3yr little girl and I said a prayer for them.I was sure I would die and since they had been right behind me in our SUV they saw everything,I prayed for them to just forget.As soon as this thought came I very clearly heard a voice say to me "You are alive,you have to do whatever it takes to stay alive".I next woke up 2months later in the hospital.I knew about my leg but I had also lost my left arm above the elbow and later found I was blind in my right eye.In addition there were too many other injuries to keep track of.I am at 22 surgeries now with several more before long.I have a wonderful wife who has taken care of me when I couldn't and a daughter who just sees daddy and not the monster I feel like sometimes.I was never very religous but I am too logical to think everything that happened for me to survive was a coincidence.
As I lay on the ground,the head of Orthopedics at our local hospital was having dinner with his wife at the resturant adjacent to the scene.They both ran out and did anything they could to help me.The paramedics have told me that as the doctor worked on me he had his wife try to clamp the artery in my leg.A friend of mine who is a paramedic came to the hospital to help my wife immediately after the wreck.He told me he went back to see how I was and the doctors had given up on me.They only continued after he berated them.I had 37 units of blood in 2 hours and another 68 units after reaching the trauma center in Memphis.And lastly there is no way it was a coincidence that I hit that truck.If I had made it past ,my wife and daughter would have hit it.
I have pretty much made peace with the loss of my limbs,but I have my moments!I love my family more than ever and cherish every moment,because they are a gift.I thank God every day for my survival.If you are not religious thats fine,still won't hurt to say a prayer of thanks.I will soon walk again and get a new arm too.I miss working and building guns,but maybe one day I will again.On a practical note,get as much life insurance as you can afford.Also get Aflac short and long term disability.Get any insurance through you employer that will help you while you recover or your family if you die.Your close call may be with you a while but just try to remember it when you ride and watch everybody,cause they ain't watching you!
grin.gif

I have picked my sorry ass up, let the body heal, thanked God that He was not needing me yet. Moved on to live another day and another day. Pretty soon you become an old guy, who looks back in total amazement for the life you have lived.

Been to the well a few times now.

The first lasting addition to my life was the recognition that anything which would take me from my family would equally take them from me. I'm selfish about that. I have no plans about letting that happen anytime soon.

Ergo, I resolved to ensure that they should never have to wonder whether I love them or not. I have no reservations about telling them clearly and often.

Also, I determined that if there was something I had my heart set on doing, I'd get off that dime and get it done. I mean, what was I waiting for, anyway?

I further resolved that if I was to leave a legacy, it wouldn't be single thing, but rather, a lifetime of consistently positive experiences on the part of all who interact with me. Once you recognize for certain that your remaining time is finite, it sorta follows that wasting any of it on negativity is simple abysmal stupidity.

As for the moments immediately following one's reminder from The Landlord; catch your breath, calm your thoughts, and get on with the business of life. Don't obsess over the scary parts, life will provide enough of them to occupy more time than they warrant, ever warranted, in the first place. Then when those quiet moments present themselves, take a few moments to deliberate over the other things I mentioned.

I decided The Landlord was already into me for quite a few debts, so I wasn't gonna be hasslin' Him over the small stuff from now on.

My 'moments' were mostly pretty lasting, and there are some permanent aftereffects. The thing to consider is that once you're recovering, there's nothing in the fine print about being over and done with adversity. Recovery is largely about regaining enough constitutional integrity to be able to sustain the other challenges to come. They are out there. When they say 'the truth is out there' that's what they're talkin' about. More truth than anyone who's unprepared can handle. Whatever your best degree of recovery is, you need to get yourself to that stage soon, and sustain it permanently. If I had not recognized that simple if exhausting fact, we wouldn't be having this dialogue.

Greg

Laugh about it, then drink for the guys who can't anymore.....

We just say "if its my time, then its my time" and don't worry about it. Things happen beyond our control and it no big deal.

a prayer of thankfulness,
a couple of ice cold beers,
and another box of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as of recently lost my faith in the guy above,
</div></div>

If he's there, he's definitely not a micro-manager type. Way too much much proof to the contrary.
More of an ant farmer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've started an infusion of Makers Mark and it seems to be helping... </div></div>

It's a start. Now find something you can pop wheelies on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i go bang the biggest bitch I can find. </div></div>

Funny, That's what almost killed me.

Guess I'll give my girlfriends point of view here too.

She was jumping at 13,500 feet and her rig slipped off her left shoulder slightly, didn't come OFF but tangled up her main beyond fucking belief.

SHe got down to about 3500 feet and cut away and pulled her reserve and held that left strap....

SHe promised never to let someone else adjust her strap again- it's tight because she has a disability in her left arm.

She got better life insurance - but eventually she stopped jumping - she had proved herself TO herself and now she takes care of her mom, and me of course
smile.gif

So even chicks can have this shit happen to them - just means more time at the firing range with her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry C Jolly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank God for the chance to prove that He didn't make a mistake in putting you here in the first place.
</div></div>

wow. since that night i have never really thought about it again and i'm surprised how vividly i can remember the event. offshore in the gulf, i cant recall what block we where in, the rig was the herc 21, the rig crew was laying down production tubing, i had been up for about 36 hours. i was on the laydown deck leaning on a basket in front of a wireline house. i was starting to doze off so i got up to walk around. a joint of tubing slipped out of the choker and shot down the v door and shot across the deck passing through both walls the the wireline house. it passes close enough to me leave a greasy streak on my coveralls but not touch me. if i wouldnt have moved i would have caught it square in the chest.

its pretty wild how after a near death experience you start to look at things different and are much more greatfull, atleast for a while

my nickname, by my buddies ,is SEVEN,cause they tell me that's how many lives i have left.My Harley and i parted company once,in that wreck i broke my neck once, my back twice,along with 4 ribs,spent 10 days in a rikers bed,thats a sling bed that supports each arm,leg,and torso separately,in a morphine induced coma,for 10 days because my heart and lungs were to bruised for them to put the 4 titanium rods in my back,fuse 8 vertebrae together and wore a HALO for 4 months,along with a full body cast.Even the doctor made it clear that i should not have lived.I have had 1 other incident where the reaper was in the room as well but i don't want to get long winded.

In high school, two friends and I (I was a passenger) rolled a '73 Dodge Challenger, at 120+...and no seatbelts! SOMEONE should have died. I see it all the time now, working in LE. How we walked away with only one of us receiving a minor cut to his finger, I'll never know. Someone was looking out for us. Someone had a plan!

Working in LE for more than 15 years now, I've had a few incidents, where afterwards I've thought to myself, "that could have been really bad!" My most memorable incident was on a traffic stop. I had stopped a straight truck for failing to stop at our scale house. While standing on the truck's step, talking to the driver, I heard a horrible squalling sound. Some dumbass truck driver took out the whole left side of my patrol car and jacknifed his semi. I remember pulling myself as close to the truck as possible, holding on for dear life, and watching parts of my car slide past me on the interstate. He barely missed me, ran another tractor-trailer off into the median, and then came to rest on the interstate, blocking the entire northbound side!

In every instance, I remember that, in those moments, training and instinct took over. You don't think, you just act. But afterward is where you really sit down and think about it, and wonder "what if?"

I figure if it didn't kill me, I'm guessing' I just got a tad stronger.

Tis' better to deal with almost dying than almost living.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as of recently lost my faith in the guy above,
</div></div>

If he's there, he's definitely not a micro-manager type. Way too much much proof to the contrary.
More of an ant farmer. </div></div>

He's there. It's His bat, ball, glove, and game, and I'm thankful for whatever time I get on the field, for there's always another game ahead. Just remember to be extra thankful for the sunny days, and not to curse Him for the rain-outs, for those are His, too.

If it's because of someone elses stupidity, then I get extremely pissed off.

If its a result of something I did or a hobby I enjoy, I just laugh it off in a state of adrenaline induced euphoria feeling like a winner.

Notice my sig? I enjoy riding that fine line in order to really feel like I'm living.

My short list goes like this.
1. Snapped my camero in half around a telephone pole - Walked away
2. Lost an engine in a cessna I was flying - Landed and walked away.
3. Had more then one pucker situation while practicing aerobatics in single engine planes.
4. Over the handlebars and fell 20ft before landing and tumbling another 60ft down a 70degree incline cliff after wrecking a dirtbike. Caught on video, walked away with bruised wrists and a few slices.
5. Crashed my racebike multiple times including tucking the front at around 100mph at the track - Caught on video, walked away with bruises and fractured vertebrae. (Destroyed the bike)
6. When I was first learning to ride motorcycles, I was out riding with no gear and had a guy try and tbone me. Locked up the rear and slide it 40ft keeping it upright. Worst pucker Ive ever had.
7. Got lost sking in Colorado when I decided going off trail would be fun..
I could continue but like I said. The trick is to try and stay calm because the way I look at it, If its going to happen, its going to happen and their isnt anything you can do about it so just enjoy it while you can.

My reaction? I get reall, really...really fuckin pissed off.

Don't know why, that's just my instinct.

ALWAYS wear good gear. The only reason I am here today is that I always road with top of the line helmet, full leathers and impact protection.

After I lowsided, I slid 87 feet along the pavement, went over an embankment, droped 40 feet and landed on my head.

I lost consiouness, but eventually woke up and hobbled over to what was left of the bike (nothing).

The chunk out of the side of my helmet is scary.

Wear good gear.

Glad you made it.

Well it's only happened to me once. We was on the roller coaster (scream machine) at Six flags over GA. We were the second car from the front. The guy that locks the lap bars down didn't get it locked on my car. We noticed it about half way up the big hill. I had the bright idea of lifting it up and slamming it down maybe it would lock. WRONG it locked in it's up position. The guy riding with me is screaming to get them to stop the ride. Like they can hear you down there withthe other screaming people waiting. I wanted to slap him (little bitch) but he was crying. I deceded to undo the lap belt and get off on the side walk. I was in apanic and had both the belt and the end in my hand and could not get it to come loss. Now the damn sidewalk has stopped. We are reaching the top and I grab the end of the belt to pull it tight and what happens it come undone. Now we have nothing holding us in. I thought this is it were dead. I siad a pray to god and held on for life. We made it but I was so amped I think I could have slapped someones head right off the shoulders. The guy that was to lock the bars saw the bar in the up position as we entered the station. He started that way and I told him not to come down here that he would get hurt. There was a mexican in the frist car. He siad yall got mucho balls man mucho balls. My arms where as bigg as my legs.

Anyhow I just the praying keep it from bothering me after words. Cuase after it was over and done with I was ok. Two of my friends that was in the same car. Wouldn't ride anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it's only happened to me once. We was on the roller coaster (scream machine) at Six flags over GA. We were the second car from the front. The guy that locks the lap bars down didn't get it locked on my car. We noticed it about half way up the big hill. I had the bright idea of lifting it up and slamming it down maybe it would lock. WRONG it locked in it's up position. The guy riding with me is screaming to get them to stop the ride. Like they can hear you down there withthe other screaming people waiting. I wanted to slap him (little bitch) but he was crying. I deceded to undo the lap belt and get off on the side walk. I was in apanic and had both the belt and the end in my hand and could not get it to come loss. Now the damn sidewalk has stopped. We are reaching the top and I grab the end of the belt to pull it tight and what happens it come undone. Now we have nothing holding us in. I thought this is it were dead. I siad a pray to god and held on for life. We made it but I was so amped I think I could have slapped someones head right off the shoulders. The guy that was to lock the bars saw the bar in the up position as we entered the station. He started that way and I told him not to come down here that he would get hurt. There was a mexican in the frist car. He siad yall got mucho balls man mucho balls. My arms where as bigg as my legs.

Anyhow I just the praying keep it from bothering me after words. Cuase after it was over and done with I was ok. Two of my friends that was in the same car. Wouldn't ride anything else.

</div></div>

This exact same thing happened to my brother and I in six flags astroworld on the Excaliber rollercoaster. The experience was terrifying to say the least.

There were several times where it took all of our strength to keep our heads down enough not to drive my face into a supporting pylon.

My younger brother and I. Funny thing is he doesn't remember the whole thing in the slightest!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i go bang the biggest bitch I can find.
</div></div>

...don't forget to buy a lotto ticket also.

Well I have and will ride the rides again. The funny thing is they just don't get my heart to pumping anymore after that ride. I guess I'll have to unhook the safty system on the chair I'm in to fell that way again. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have and will ride the rides again. The funny thing is they just don't get my heart to pumping anymore after that ride. I guess I'll have to unhook the safty system on the chair I'm in to fell that way again. LOL

</div></div>

Glad you made it through ok. Would be a crappy way to die.

Responded to a call in the early morning hours of a burglary attempt at a doctors office. Upon arrival, noticed a screw driver wedged in the front door of the business and observed some small tools and a 6volt lantern flashlight. Doctor walked from around back to tell me he didn't want a report just wanted to open the business and could I help him get the door open. I was able to get the screw driver out and proceeded to pick up the tools to put into property, when I picked up the flashlight and noticed it was unusually heavy. Walked back to my trunk with the items as my partner was arriving on scene. Told him what I had and that the flashlight was unusually heavy and proceeded to shake it like a morroca and could here what I thought was coins and or jewelry maybe from another burglary.
As I twisted off the top and removed the cover we noticed wires connected between the cover/lid, a mercury switch,a battery and a bunch of screws and other metal objects inside! At this point I gently place the light into the trunk of the car and we both take off running like we are on fire and got about 50 yards from the car. Now this is where shit really gets stupid/crazy! My partner looks at me and we start laughing and he says " Holy Shit! Man I'm gonna miss you kid!" and I ask why? and he says "cause when they find out you just put a bomb in the back of that brand new patrol car they are gonna fire your rookie ass". So what do you think this stupid rookie does? I run over and grab that thing out of the trunk and walk it over and place it on the ground and drive that car over to my partners location! All the while I can here him screaming at me through cloudy ears/muffled sounds.
Well as you can imagine all hell breaks loose after this and the whole city mobilizes. Fire, hazmat, bomb squad, every unit in the city etc. The Bomb squad is able to get it into an explosive container and brings it to where ever they bring that shit and it detonates in the container! SOOOOO the bomb squad Commander calls me several hours later and tells me to pack up a suit case and be ready to go in 30 minutes. And as a rookie I'm thinking, shit I'm in trouble, and there kicking me out of the city!!! And then he says "Cause we are going to Vegas cause you are the LUCKIEST SONOFABITCH I ever met!
Well, as it turns out the asshole who planted the device wanted to kill a cop. ANY cop and I was just lucky enough to be the one who responded. With the help of ATF and several agencies we located the asshole in our city and after three days of surveillance, the team picked him off leaving his residence and found the bomb making material to tie him to the device!
I guess for me the next several days was the hardest to sleep but I found talking about it with other guys and laughing and kidding about it got me through. It just wasn't my time. I didn't live life any different. Maybe said a few prayers more than usual but just went on that notion that you can't plan on shit like that getting you or you wouldn't make it in this job. After 28 years of it thank God I'm at the end. Good luck with dealing with yours.

I went skydiving, rocky mountain climbing, i went 2.7 seconds on a bull named foomanchu.