• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes how do you drive a scope with moa knobs and mil re

College_Kid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2007
wisconsin
how do you drive a scope that the knobs (MOA) that don't match the reticle (mil). Seems to be an awful lot of US Optics set up that way in the classifieds lately. All I've been exposed to are turret less Leupolds with duplex crosshairs (a VX-III 4.5-14x and an LPS 1.5-6 all on hunting rifles) and am looking at pulling the trigger on something like a US Optic's with a reticle uncluttered and fine enough for shooting Prairie dogs. thank you for your time!

Re: how do you drive a scope with moa knobs and mil re

First you have to make sure that your knobs are doing what you think they are.

Then you have to calibrate your reticle to ensure that it is telling you what YOU think it says.

After that, you dial in one level and hold in another. Kind of a PITA but it has been done for many years and is not too hard. Matching knobs and reticle is MUCH easier.

Cheers,

Doc

That is how most tactical scopes are setup. Was pretty much the only option years ago and still the option most are forced to use. It is much easier to run a system that matches, but it is defiantely not required.

I put it in my car and drive it to the range

easy, just gotta know how many moa are in a mil.

Make 3.438 your friend.

I use 3.5 and BIG targets.
wink.gif

MOA mil....WTF!!! is there really any other way...many many folks have won matches with this lash-up......it ain't old school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First you have to make sure that your knobs are doing what you think they are.

Then you have to calibrate your reticle to ensure that it is telling you what YOU think it says.
</div></div>

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After that, you dial in one level and hold in another.</div></div>

Calculating Holdovers and Holdunders

By the way CK, welcome tot he 'hide.
My opinion, and its usually worth what I charge for it, would be to get a decent scope with target turrets that are repeatable, on a rifle/load that will hold moa accuracy and shoot for a while.
Investing a lot of dough into a custom scope is best done after ascertaining what you really want out of such an optic. Trigger time will teach you what features you will really utilize.
A decent Leupy MK4 from the LR line can be had for a good price usually if you keep your eyes open and would do you fine to learn the ins and outs prior to you dropping big cash on a USO or similar scope.

You could even get M1 turrets and a TMR reticle installed on your VXIII if its a 30mm model for a few hundred bucks....

I use a Buckmasters 6-18x mil-dot on my prairie dog rig--a 17 Fireball XP-100 handgun, and love it. I dial elevation in inch per hundred yds. and use the dots (at a subtension of 2.4 inch per hundred yds. at 18x) for windage. Works fine for me.

if you do a range card from JBM, just do the first column in mils and the second column in MOA. if you hold over use the first column, and if you dial elevaion use the MOA column. not perfect, but it works.