• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you get on the paper @ 600 or 1000y ?

Gun Oil

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2007
Washington State
I REALLY want to start shooting longer distances. I have a number of different rifles chambered in 308, and also a Barrett 82 CQB......

My goal is to fine tune one gun in particular for Class F matches. I have the Ruger out of the box Class F model ready to go.

So How in the heck do you translate a rifle that you can shoot well at 200 yards to a 300, 600, or 1000y gun?

Is there a good post out there that I have missed?

I really want to do this more for fun that to win matches, and I want to take my Barrett out with friends and get it on the paper ASAP to not waste ammo, and to be safe and have fun.

Thanks in advance.....

GO

Re: How do you get on the paper @ 600 or 1000y ?

For your Barrett CQB, you will need to get a MV via chronograph, as it will be significantly slower than what you get out of a standard 29" barrel. Your elevation out to 1000 will be significantly more than what it would be out of the standard length barrel. Plug in the MV and a BC of .65 for a M33 ball projectile and you will get close. If you are using AMAX bullets, you can plug in .9 for the BC.

Hope this helps

#1... Need to know the velocity of the round you are shooting. Plain and simple.

#2... Once you have your elevations from #1, actually shoot the longer distances to fine tune. They will be close, but more than likely not dead on.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Rules of thumb( thumbs may vary according to size )
from a 100 yard zero
Find 200 yard come up (308 win with 175's is about 1.75-2.0 moa)
200 yard actual elev X 2 gets you on paper at 300
200 + 300 actual gets you on paper at 400
300 + 400 actual gets you on paper at 500.....beginning to sense a pattern?
500 actual X 3 + 5% gets you on paper at 1000

Bllistics programs will get you close . You will need some accurate chronograph data and as much relevant data such as weather and elevation your shooting at for best results . Here is a free online program that works very well ..... JBM Ballistics

Once you get to a match they generally have a period of time before you shoot for score where they let you shoot sighter rounds . The scorekeepers in the pits will put markers on the target to help you fine tune your scope before shooting for score .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rules of thumb( thumbs may vary according to size )
from a 100 yard zero
500 actual X 3 + 5% gets you on paper at 1000</div></div>That is one hell of a formula. It actually will work with a variety of loads. Just did it in my head with three calibers with various rounds and come out really close.. Actually will shoot a little high it seems comparably but not more than 6 inches. Thanks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rules of thumb( thumbs may vary according to size )
from a 100 yard zero
500 actual X 3 + 5% gets you on paper at 1000 </div></div>

Crap I feel really stupid right now....perhaps that is why I am asking this question to start with.....

Does this formula only work with a mil-dot scope?

I think I understand the first step by adding 2 moa(as an example) to my 100y zero, I would be close to a 200y zero

Then to get to zero at 300y I would add 4 moa to my 100 zero.....?

After that you lost me.....

Would 400y be 6 moa up from my 100 zero?

Sorry to be so dense on this...I have only shot out to 200 yards, and not for score, just plicking at the "gong" at my home range.....

Most of the areas I have hunted, my shot would probably never be more than 150y, and I am pretty confident to that point.

I will listen and learn......I am pretty sure I will figure this out.

make sure your rounds are consistent lets say ideally not more than 30ft/s spread from Highest velocity to lowest velocity eg. if average velocity is 2600 than your lowest should ideally not be lower than 2585 and highest 2615ft/s. That way when you dial in your elevation, your groups will remain on target and not hit low or high otherwise you can never get a proper elevation setting and your results wont match your ballistics data sheet.

It is as simple as chrono, computer, and then check to verify/adjust the impacts. You will be close enough to be on paper - -if not do like the rest of us...... use BIGGER paper !!

Once you start getting on paper at the farther distances then you can start the much longer and more tedious task of "learning" how to shoot those distances (more accurately) by reading wind, mirage, watching trace, etc directly correlating with sight alignment, trigger control, breathing, body position, follow through, and on and on - - thats where the real "game" is.

You can be and maybe are a long time experienced shooter and have a good understanding of how these things work- - it is still different when you actually do it. Someone's signature line here says - you know what seperates the men from the boys.... ? Simple - 900 yards.

I recently showed up at a 600 yard match with a rifle zeroed at 100 yards and a JBM ballistics sheet for my ammo. My first shot was off only by my wind estimations....elevation was within 1 MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently showed up at a 600 yard match with a rifle zeroed at 100 yards and a JBM ballistics sheet for my ammo. My first shot was off only by my wind estimations....elevation was within 1 MOA. </div></div>

You got lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently showed up at a 600 yard match with a rifle zeroed at 100 yards and a JBM ballistics sheet for my ammo. My first shot was off only by my wind estimations....elevation was within 1 MOA. </div></div>

You got lucky. </div></div>

I don't think so. I have pointed several people to hit the black on their first ever shot at 600 yard with a 100 or 200 or 300 yard zero. It is not rocket science. You can get really good come-ups with JBM (and others) especially if you have a good chrono value and a decent BC.

To the OP, I was not aware that Ruger made an F-class model rifle.

I use JBM with a high degree of confidence. I shoot and then go back and play with the MV and Altitude values until the predictions and results jibe. I use the tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet to print a stock table. I find that it's going to be the most helpful approach I've been able to find as yet.

Greg

I have seen people setup a 12 foot tall target and held same point of aim for all the distances you would like to shoot and measure what that drop is. I don't have a picture of the target but it was made out of 2x4"s and had a 12'x 4' piece of cardboard that they placed the target at the top of. i will see if i can find photos.

Why not just use a standard thermometer target? No guarantees, but it should get you close -- maybe even on paper within the first few shots..

ST1.jpg

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=307

1. Secure rifle in a fixed position.
2. Fire
3. Move paper over to point of impact!

Just kidding...
I have had good results from the poor man's method of bore sighting. You need a target that is highly visible and contrasts against its backstop. Sight in on target through scope. Look through bore and adjust rifle position so that target is visible through bore. Rifle must be kept pretty still in a rest or bags etc. Now adjust scope so that cross hairs center on target. Recheck line of sight through bore and repeat these two steps a few times. At longer distances you may also need to place the scope cross hairs near the bottom of the target to account for trajectory vs. line of sight. I end up on target 9 times out of 10 and then walk the adjustments in from there.

Sight in at 100.

With assistance from a ballistics calculator like JBM or information from the cartridge manufacturer get your "estimated" dope. Start with that and shoot at a large FRESH target backer with a new target. Start at 100 yards and work back. This way you can see how close the estimated is going to be to your actual and you have a better chance of staying on paper.

Don't do this on a windy day, especially if you are not experienced with wind calls or don't have a good spotter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently showed up at a 600 yard match with a rifle zeroed at 100 yards and a JBM ballistics sheet for my ammo. My first shot was off only by my wind estimations....elevation was within 1 MOA. </div></div>

You got lucky. </div></div>

It normally works for me. If you've got your mv and bc done right, then the software does well.

I was shooting @300 yards today. Plugged all the data into JBM it came up with 4.9 moa for a 175 SMK @2600 fps at 900 feet elevation, 72 degrees. It was pretty darn close I ended up with 5.0 moa cutting X rings all day.