• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you incorporate QuickLoad in your routine?

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
I've taken a conservative approach to learning the art of building good ammo and early on adopted the practice of working up slowly and never exceeding a published maximum nor assuming that a max load will always be safe in my rifles. I recently picked up a copy of QuickLoad after several years of loading for my .308, 5.56, .45 & 9mm. I've found it to be very useful for predicting where OCW nodes for the rifles are likely to be, but I've noticed that quite a few published loads exceed what it considers maximum pressure by a fair amount. For example, my favorite 77gr. SMK/TAC load that's below Sierra's autoloader max. exceeds QL's recommended max. I'm using measured case capacity and bullet data.

Until now I haven't had anywhere nearby to shoot out past 600 yards, so I've been able to get acceptable performance from relatively mild loads. I've recently gotten access to some wide-open spaces, and I'd like to stretch my rifle's legs a little. The next accuracy node for the loads I'm looking at should be within published limits, but in a few cases will exceed QuickLoad's recommended max. I'd be curious to know how other users fit QL data into the various other sources of information they use to develop their loads.

Re: How do you incorporate QuickLoad in your routine?

Access. That is all "Quick Load" is. Access. Then determine the load your rifle likes. JMHO

I have a copy of it and have played with it extensively. I think it is a good tool but I don't use it often. I prefer real-world ladder tests of bullet/powder/primer/brass combos. I have a lot of rifles come through my doors and everyone of them is load-tuned and ready to go within 4 hours of field work with the customer. Like most tools, I'm glad I have QL when I need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a copy of it and have played with it extensively. I think it is a good tool but I don't use it often. I prefer real-world ladder tests of bullet/powder/primer/brass combos. I have a lot of rifles come through my doors and everyone of them is load-tuned and ready to go within 4 hours of field work with the customer. Like most tools, I'm glad I have QL when I need it. </div></div>

Thanks, I figured as much but it's always good to hear it from a pro.

I use it primarily to play with different powders and charge weights to get a ballpark of what to expect. Also, the barrel timing info can be handy but overall, you can't rely on Quickload for 100% accuracy. It's not a replacement for getting out to the range and shooting test loads.

Actually-I just found it in the mail(purchased it 3 days ago) and installed it. I've been playing around with it for the last 2 hours and I'm impressed.

Most important thing to do-is measure the ACTUAL capacity of your fired brass in grains of water. The default values can be off which will skew the results.

Overall, I'm glad I bought it.In light of the fact-sharing data is no longer allowed on this forum, I find it useful to see what changes will potentially be experienced by shooting the actual loads.

1) Click on the Quickload icon on your desktop
2) Click on "continue".
3) select a cartridge
4) click on the 7th icon on the tool bar. It is the second image that is binoculars over a case.
5) click on "ok"
6) Click on "ok"
7) Click on "ok"
8) Click on "yes"
9) Select a bullet
10) select a powder
11) type in a powder charge
13) type in a barrel length
14) click on "Apply&Calc" in the charge section
15) Wait for 10 seconds for the velocity and pressure to appear

16) Click on the QuickTarget icon on your desktop
17) Click on continue
18) Click on "Receive Data from QuickLOAD"

19) Click on the 16th icon on the Quickload tool bar that says "1 2 3".
20) Enter a maximum pressure of 65,000 psi
21) Click on "Apply&Exit"
22) Find the powder in that list, that you own, that gets the highest velocity
23) Select that powder in the charge section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3RkvTxW4lE

I never used it for pistol calibers, but for rifle I find it pretty useful, especially because it allows to handle different OALs.
QL is always on the safe side, as in many years of use, I have never found a load that was pressure-safe on QL, which gave me bad signs while shooting.
Its ballistic model is pretty good.