• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you look through the scope with eye glasses

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I'm kind of stumped as what to do. I have a slight astigmatism in both eyes whereas I have trouble seeing far but do not have problems seeing things up close. What's weird is that when I'm looking through any type of red dot sight, or illuminated reticle the red is blurry which causes some bad washout. When I put on my glasses everything is crystal clear. The problem that I have is cheek weld and my glasses getting in the way so that my cheek is not properly flush against the cheek pad. As you know this just f'ks everything up. I thought about raising the optic so that my cheek doesn't rest on the pad but then I'm going against the proper technique of what I'm trying to learn. If I don't wear glasses then things are a little blurry, not too bad, but not crystal clear so as to not allow me the proper sight picture. What do you guys do about this? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks fellas.

Re: How do you look through the scope with eye glasses

I essentially have the same type vision but don't have any issues with my cheek weld and glasses. In order for my glasses to interfere, I would have to have an extremely high cheek weld. Perhaps your style glasses are larger than mine. Have you tried different style frames?

I have not yet. They're very thin frames and my cheek pad is that of an AICS 2.0 so from what I've learned by reading other people's views is its already high compared to other types of stocks. It's all the way down as I have not raised it a bit. I have a NF scope, 30mm tube that sits in 1.0156 rings so I'm a bit lost here. I'll try to play with the frames a bit and see where that gets me otherwise I might need taller rings. Comparatively the lens is not that much higher than the cheek pad. If I can post a pic I'll get one up so you can see the height difference.

I'm using the AICS 1.5 chassis with Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail and M40A3 rings. My adjustable cheek piece is bottomed out but everything is right. My scope is Schmidt & Bender PMII and the rings are 1". There are differences in rail heights too, but sounds like you may need taller scope rings.

We pretty much have the same set up minus the scopes. Damn, well no point in having something I won't like using. Thanks for the help Gvanhyning.

Try shooting with your head in a more upright position. Most people who don't use glasses shoot with their head leaning forwardt to some degree. Doing this with glasses on will cause the top corner of the frames to obstruct your view.

Having an adjustable cheek piece will be very helpful in finding the sweet spot. Keep in mind that you will need to move your scope to the rear to help accomidate the new position. Also, at first it will cause noticeable fatigue to your neck muscles but with practice and repetition, it will become more comfortable.

CM

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew

I tried it today. Put on my glasses, got directly behind the rifle and scope, loaded the bipod and rested my cheek where it felt comfortable. What Im seeing is black on the upper part of the reticle which means my head is too low and I'm looking at the top of the inside right? I curved the frame of my glasses a bit so it's hugging my face a bit better now which got rid of a lot of the slack. Maybe it sounds like I need to raise my cheek rest or should I not be completely laying my face down? If I keep my cheek against it keeping my head lifted a little the sight picture is great but when I lay my cheek completely down this is when sight picture is off and I see black. Im new to this so I am in the dark as to whether you keep your head lifted a bit or if you lay your cheek against the cheek rest with zero neck strain. I'm thinking Center Mass just answered this question about neck strain though...damn I need to take some lessons. Thanks for everybody's input, it is very much appreciated.

With my regular glasses, I had the same problem as they are small lenses. With big safety glasses I was OK. So, I adjusted my position to get my head up straighter - not higher - like CM explained. However, I also bought shooting glasses that I can adjust the nose piece and get them higher on my face.

You are going to have to move the scope back on the rifle. Doing this should help get a position with less fatigue/strain because your face will still be on the stock.

Also remember, your glasses are designed to look through the center. The correction at the edges is not the same. So don't just adjust your position so that you are just barely looking under the frames - try to look through the center of the lens.

UM550,
If you are seeing a shadow around the top edge your head is too low. You need to bring the cheek piece up a little. Like Sled and I explained, try to make the position with your head as upright as possible. If you are laying prone, it will be similar to looking up to the sky when you are standing. Believe it or not, it does not have to feel comfortable at first, comrort will come with repetition and practice. As far as resting you head, the amount of weight you place on the stock is somewhat of a personal preference as long as you do not float above the stock. Slight to firm pressure is normal but consistency is the primary goal.

It may take some trial and error with moving the cheek piece and the scope backwards but you should be able to find a clear full sight picture. As Sled referenced, make sure this new position allows you to look through your glasses as close to center as possible.

CM

Here's a pic. I have my head as upright as I can, also note the height of my cheek piece and position of my scope.

GunStuff037.jpg

CM

Amazing info guys, thank you!! That picture helps a lot CM. I was unsure if my head was too high or too low, if I had to raise my scope, raise my cheek piece etc... I see that you have the high point of your cheek bone on the rest. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm a lefty shooting on a righty platform. I know theres lefty actions out there but I didn't want to drop the extra $$$ on something custom built yet while I'm learning and I wanted to learn righty so I could be proficient in both. I'm heading out to the range tomorrow and I've got all of this written down to practice. This info is very much appreciated guys, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazing info guys, thank you!! That picture helps a lot CM. I was unsure if my head was too high or too low, if I had to raise my scope, raise my cheek piece etc... I see that you have the high point of your cheek bone on the rest. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm a lefty shooting on a righty platform. I know theres lefty actions out there but I didn't want to drop the extra $$$ on something custom built yet while I'm learning and I wanted to learn righty so I could be proficient in both. I'm heading out to the range tomorrow and I've got all of this written down to practice. This info is very much appreciated guys, thank you. </div></div>

Glad to help! Keep after it, establish a routine and work on dot drills. Way to take notes too, good job.

It doesn't matter if you're a lefty or not, both should mirror one another. I used to shoot a right hand action too but as soon as u get off the ground and into alternate positions it becomes problematic.

CM

Another thing that may help you is that the cheek rest is adjustable side to side also. Not sure if you knew that ?
Two hex screws below the rest and you can slide it off center a little also.

I purchased a pair of prescription Wiley X safety glasses and haven't had an issue with shooting and glasses since. Full wrap around glass and a huge field of view without them interfering in my sight picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another thing that may help you is that the cheek rest is adjustable side to side also. Not sure if you knew that ?
Two hex screws below the rest and you can slide it off center a little also.

I purchased a pair of prescription Wiley X safety glasses and haven't had an issue with shooting and glasses since. Full wrap around glass and a huge field of view without them interfering in my sight picture. </div></div>
I did not know that? That's going to make a huge difference. I had to return my rings and buy a higher pair but I was still finding myself either leaning my head a little to far over the cheek piece or placing my body a little too far over to one side. I'll look into the glasses as well. Thank you AtOne, really thank you.

Be careful moving the cheek piece too far to one side. It may mess you up for support side shooting. Be sure to check that once you get the strong side where you think you want it.

I made sure to get my setup to work without shifting the cheek piece to the side just to avoid this issue. I'm guessing you could have a smith shape the cheek piece for you if moving it to one side messes with your support side shooting.

Keep us posted to how you make out with all of this.

This is exactly, what i needed to know. I was having the same issue, today on my range trip, ended up looking over the top of my frames or just taking the damn things off. So, I'm going to practice holding my head differently and that should make the difference. Sometimes i could get everything to line up where i could look through my glasses other-times not, it was very aggravating. But i am planning on ordering rx lenses for my Oakley M Frames and half-jacket xljs. That should alleviate any further issues i have.

I get black at the top sometimes. But, it's the frame of my glasses blocking the view not my head being to low. I push my glasses up and it goes away. Maybe that's what you are getting as well?

I really need to go back to contacts.

Dave

I had the same problem until I started sliding my glasses way up and off to the side a bit so they were hanging by the side of the nose bridge. It looked silly but put the center of the lens square behind the scope. Eventually I got the IOL surgery and now don't need glasses to shoot. My only regret is not having the surgery sooner.

To the OP...

Have you thought of trying contacts? I have a similar vision issue, and contacts worked perfectly for me.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="font-family: 'Courier New'"> I solved this problem this way: had the lense maker move the focal center of the lense up and left. Also, I chose frames that provided for an enlarged lense. Rayban Shooters work well with polycarbonate lenses.</span></span>