• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you package your rifles for shipping?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Do you just zip tie your storm/pelican cases shut? Do you throw locks on them and ship the keys separate? Do you overbox the cases?

Re: How do you package your rifles for shipping?

I have a couple cheap hard plastic cases and ship them in the boxes they came in. Use lots of tape on the ends. The locks are useless, if it's stolen in transit, they'll just be cut off....

Bubble wrap and cardboard box

Bubble wrap rifle, then I put it into a hard case. Tape the hell out of the hard case, then put into a card board box.

+1 on Buckey.

Light coat of oil on all.

Plastic cheapo hardcase, taped, and then placed into a cardboard box. If I'm shipping with mags or other loose items, then I wrap them in bubble wrap so that they won't slide and scratch anything.

I tape the incoming FFL information in an envelope to the exterior of the plastic case.

I have done both when shipping Storm/Pelican style cases.

I find that zip tying and or duct taping the latches works better than messing with locks and mailing keys.

I feel much more comfortable shipping in a proper case than boxing them up. But, obviously has its drawbacks with cost.

when possible, I break rifles down and ship in 2 smaller boxes. Packed very well with bubble wrap, newspaper, and plenty of tape. Works well and VERY non firearm looking.

Put it in something that DOESNT look like a rifle case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you just zip tie your storm/pelican cases shut? Do you throw locks on them and ship the keys separate? Do you overbox the cases? </div></div>

I've zip tied, I've used padlocks (combination type), and I've put the case inside a box. However, unless you're shipping YOUR rifle, e.g. for gunsmithing work or whatever, or unless you're selling the storm/pelican with the rifle, then use a cheaper case!!!
smile.gif

For basic transport of a rifle being sold -- without a fancy case -- the $20 Wal-Mart plastic cases are fine. I usually duct-tape the latches shut, or use zip ties. I then put them inside a box that the local Golf Shop will often have available for free. Look for a box that held golf clubs or a golf club bag.

Cheapo Duskosil type case. Wrap cardboard around the case so it doesn't scream RIFLE INSIDE. Tape like crazy. Tracking AND insurance.

Jack

I would'nt write anything on the outside of the package. That just looks like your trying to cover something up. If someone actually ships machined parts... they don't write that on the box..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheapo Duskosil type case. Wrap cardboard around the case so it doesn't scream RIFLE INSIDE. Tape like crazy. Tracking AND insurance.

</div></div>

Bingo. Same way I do it but I just use the box that my rifles came in in the cheap case. Anyone who has taken delivery of a rifle from GAP has gotten it this way and it is a fine way to ship just the rifle. If the scope was on it then i would put it in something more substantial.