• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Do You Set The Zero Stop On The Gen 2 Vortex Viper

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    The manuals procedure on how to set the Viper zero stop seems rather unclear, at least to me. So what is the best procedure to use dealing with the turret steps to set the zero stop. I always start my zeroing at 25 yards then when I'm satisfied I move to 100 yards.
    Thanks in advance.

The manuals procedure on how to set the Viper zero stop seems rather unclear, at least to me. So what is the best procedure to use dealing with the turret steps to set the zero stop. I always start my zeroing at 25 yards then when I'm satisfied I move to 100 yards.
    Thanks in advance.
    Google it and there are like 15 video's

When you do set the stop, avoid over tightning the screws and torque with a pattern so pressure is applied to the inner turret evenly to prevent slipping. The videos are pretty good explaining the process. Kind of a pain but easy once you have done it.

Thanks to Kriller134 for this video. I've seen some of the videos relating to the Viper but this one on the Razor very clearly shows a very easy way to set the zero stop. And also thanks to bill_van for the heads upon the screw tighting.

If you find that the Gen 2 does not track after you have zero'd and set the stop, there is a procedure to "re-index" or "re-time" the stop. Another simple procedure and I believe there is a video on YouTube. If you need help with this come back and post and I'll find the instructions. Good Shooting!

Below is a step-by-step to ensure your optic’s zero-stop is reset, and functioning properly.
    1. Rotate your external turret clockwise, or in the “down” direction, until it stops or you encounter resistance.
    2. Remove the external turret by loosening the three set-screws on it’s perimeter.
    3. With the internal turret exposed, rotate it counter-clockwise, in the “up” direction, only about ¼ turn, and then back “down”, or clockwise, until it stops.
    4. Remove the top two screws from the inner turret.
    5. Applying slight downward pressure to the turret, again, rotate the turret counter-clockwise ¼ turn, and then back “down”, or clockwise, until it stops.
    6. Take note of the threaded receptacles, where the two top screws were removed. If they are no longer exposed, or partially obscured, carefully loosen the three set-screws on the inner turret, careful not to rotate the turret until they’re loose. Once all three are loosened, simply rotate the inner turret until those threaded receptacles are completely exposed.
    7. Reinstall the two top screws in the inner turret, leaving the perimeter set-screws loose.

From here, you optic is ready to re-zero. When you’ve achieved the satisfactory zero, simply re-engage the perimeter set-screws on the inner turret, engaging the zero stop. It will not matter where the inner turret is indexed at this point. Reinstall the exterior turret at the “0” position, and re-engage the perimeter set screws on it!

Last edited:
    Reactions: NightHunt
    Zeros can shift slightly for various reasons. When I help shooters with the Gen2 PSTs, I highly recommend that once you bottom out the turrets in step 1 that you come back up about 1 MIL or 2-3 MOA before removing the outer turret. Once removed, continue with disengaging the inner turret and proceeding with getting your zero and then putting everything back together as they instruct. Once finished and you and you have reinstalled the outer turret with the 0 lined up on the index line, you should have a MIL or 2-3 MOA of down-travel below your zero. This little bit of wiggle room can come in handy should you need to adjust your zero down a small amount; then you can just loosen the 3 outer turret screws and "slip" the outer turret back to the zero line, re-tight the 3 outer screws and you'll be GTG again without having to get back to adjust the inner turret