• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How do you store/transport your hunting clothes?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
When you head to hunting camp what is your method?

1. it doesn’t matter throw them in a bag and go.

2. Sealed plastic containers with scent wafers inside or baking soda sprinkled on everything inside.

3. Sealed plastic containers with pine limbs or other natural vegetation.

4. Washed with no scent detergent but tossed in a duffle bag.

5. They hang in the closet like the rest and grab and go.

6. Other?

thanks for playing.

Mine stay in a rubbermaid tote all year long.
I remove them and will sometimes smoke them before hanging on the line for a couple weeks. Get put back into the tote with some sticks and leaves.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Mine stay in a hunting bag but don’t do anything crazy with them. No scent detergent if it’s sitting by the laundry but staying down wind as much as possible is my best method.

Im on the stay down wind side. I can't always get cleaned up, sometimes for a couple of days. When you smell like that, no cover scent will help. but in response to the original question. All of my hunting gear stays in totes in the shop. I hate having to go look for something. If it's all in the same spot, I never have to look for it.

Reactions: rookie7
Dry outside after no scent wash, then live is scent free trash bag with baking soda. I need all the help I can get.

Washed in scent killer. Stored in a sealed tote with scent wafers. Yea you'll stink them up after a few days, but it can't hurt.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Are you guys bow hunters? Do you backpack hunt or ride an ATV? Have an air freshener in your truck?

I try not to run a chainsaw, cook garlic, or shit myself while wearing hunting gear. Works most of the time

I use a crossbow. I walk to my stand. No air freshener in the truck. Ive only been hunting 3 years so I'm still learning different ways to control scent.

I use a crossbow. I walk to my stand. No air freshener in the truck. Ive only been hunting 3 years so I'm still learning different ways to control scent.
That’s so far out of my element that I can’t really help. I’ve never stand or blind hunted so I can always move with wind. Most rifle hunters I know don’t really worry about scent blockers

FWIW,
You guys that store your clothing in totes and bags. Have you ever stuck your nose inside the tote and smelled it?
They smell like rotten assed plastic. Ain't nuthin gonna cover that unnatural smell.

Grab every cover scent or hide my smell thing you can think of and try to cover a spot of bacon grease on your thigh.

Go see the dog and pay attention to where his nose goes to.

I just stay downwind.

I have a Yeti Panga I take to the ranch usually with everything in it if I’ll be staying a few days. Most the time my truck and backseat end up being my storage container during hunting season. I’ve seen the Bronc boxes though, and the idea of having all my hunting gear in one tote looks awesome.

Are you guys bow hunters? Do you backpack hunt or ride an ATV? Have an air freshener in your truck?

I try not to run a chainsaw, cook garlic, or shit myself while wearing hunting gear. Works most of the time
Bowhunter, usually in August i change my truck air freshener to a vanilla scent until season is over or I am tagged out.

FWIW,
You guys that store your clothing in totes and bags. Have you ever stuck your nose inside the tote and smelled it?
They smell like rotten assed plastic. Ain't nuthin gonna cover that unnatural smell.

Grab every cover scent or hide my smell thing you can think of and try to cover a spot of bacon grease on your thigh.

Go see the dog and pay attention to where his nose goes to.

I just stay downwind.
When they are new yeah they do have an odor. Been using the same tote for better than ten years now...the new smell is gone now. Never take shortcuts with the wind, no matter how much prep and time we spend on being scent free, disregarding the wind will get your ass busted and a lot of times we won't even know

@fxdwgkd that vanilla does wonders sometimes - attracting deer. I haven't used it in years though.

I think I've tried just about everything (except ozonics, which I will not).

I spent many years hunting with self-bows, longbows, and recurves. I had to get close.

I have always kept my clothes in plastic containers. I have tried scent wafers, pine needles, cedar blocks, baking soda, washed in scent free detergent, air dried, change clothes at truck from street clothes to hunting, spray down with scent killer, had one set of scentlok clothes.

Nothing is absolute.

A cover scent that used to be made right here in Georgia was Bowhunter's Setup. It worked as a cover scent and a "hold attention" for a moment scent.

What I have found that works well?

Rubber boots up to my knees, and trying my best to stay downwind.

If I am going to invest my money in any kind of "scent blocker" it would be a Scentlok head/face mask. Otherwise regular clothes work in holding some scent especially in the winter when we have on multiple layers.

Downwind? In Georgia that is usually a joke. 90% of the time the wind is going to swirl and switch around here in the Southeast - at least where I hunt.

@Mike Casselton you are right about the smell in plastic containers. I think sometimes we think clothing is completely dry and it isn't. So bacteria will grow on the clothes in the container.

Also, if you Google "under armour stinks/smells" there are many testimonies on how bad the polyester clothing stinks really bad after a few workouts and washes. What I have read is the bacteria bonds to the fibers, and to really get the smell out you have to wash them in hot water and add vinegar to the wash.

Thank you to everyone for participating in the discussion.

I still keep my clothes in rubbermaid containers, but that is because it's really easy to grab them, load the truck, and go.

Last edited:
I wash all my clothing in scent elimination detergent and put it into a bag and then a tote. The night before I hunt I will put some fresh earth scent wafers in the bag and I also spray myself down before walking to the stand. I shower in scent free wash before I get dressed and use scent free deodorant.

I also hang earth scent wafers in the stand with me. It’s not perfect but I rarely get winded.

Being down wind all the time is the best way to do it but where I hunt it’s rare that I get to choose. The deer come from 3 different directions and the wind is rarely blowing in the direction they don’t come from.

1603115905105-png.7449043

the only way to carry your goods is not to carry them yourself .

Well, a lot depends on the situation and what kind of clothes it is. I take care of new stylish clothes and try to fold them neatly, wash them and all that.
Nice. Your attempted sarcasm just barely missed the 4yr old necropost benchmark for your first post.

Welcome to the Hide

Reactions: Ronws
None of that shit matters. I have never used any special detergent or scent blocker nonsense. When I was a kid I always wanted my old man to light up a cigarette as thats when the deer come out. All that other stuff is to catch the hunter not the prey. I think it’s just more fun for some people to go all out. Camo isn’t necessary either but once again seems to be more fun.

Reactions: RRW