• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you store your components?

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
I searched the forum and could not find the info.
I was wondering what every one uses to store components.
I know the obvious for powders and primers, to keep them in the original containers.
but what about projectiles and brass. I have been useing plastic containers all labeled, but the bench is starting to look like a craft bench.
just wanted some input, also if someone can point me in the right direction for the thread with all the loading benches being used, built or bought.
thanks in advance

Re: How do you store your components?

I don't open a box of bullets until the last one is spent in the old box. Brass, I only keep a couple hundred in rotation. No sense in having x amount of brass laying around when I only reload for when I go out to shoot.

Plastic bins for the bullets and brass. Easier for me to keep everything straight between different rifles, handguns, and different stages of brass prep.

Ziplocks for clean, prep'd brass; bullets in original packaging, and that in ziplocks. Powder jugs in one 20MM ammo can, and primers in another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't open a box of bullets until the last one is spent in the old box. Brass, I only keep a couple hundred in rotation. No sense in having x amount of brass laying around when I only reload for when I go out to shoot. </div></div>
+1 I do the same thing an additionally only have 1 type of powder on my reloading bench at a time.

I reload ~ 60 different cartridges, and do not use the standard system of dies on a shelf and bullet boxes on a shelf.

Dies, brass, bullets, powder, and primers go in file folder boxes.

If one caliber has allot of components, it can have many file folder boxes. 9mm, 45acp, .223 and .308 each have many file folder boxes. While 32S&W, 32S&W Long, 32-20, and 32acp can all fit dies, brass, and bullets in one file folder box.

There is ~ 110 feet of shelving on the 4 walls of the reloading room for file folder boxes.

With this system, <span style="color: #003333">hoarding reloading components can expand exponentially, without appearing insane.</span>

Bullets,powder and primers are stored on the shelves over or beside my loading bench.Excess brass is stored in plastic coffee cans in the storeroom.I keep the bullets,powder and primers in their original containers,and my loading room is in the house,in a heated and cooled area. Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I reload ~ 60 different cartridges, and do not use the standard system of dies on a shelf and bullet boxes on a shelf.

Dies, brass, bullets, powder, and primers go in file folder boxes.

If one caliber has allot of components, it can have many file folder boxes. 9mm, 45acp, .223 and .308 each have many file folder boxes. While 32S&W, 32S&W Long, 32-20, and 32acp can all fit dies, brass, and bullets in one file folder box.

There is ~ 110 feet of shelving on the 4 walls of the reloading room for file folder boxes.

With this system, <span style="color: #003333">hoarding reloading components can expand exponentially, without appearing insane.</span> </div></div>

Any pic's or link's of a file folder box?

I am a big fan of M2A1 ammo cans for loaded ammunition. (aka 50 cal ammo can)
41L1UBa8cIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They are purpose built to store ammunition so that it stays protected as well as keeping you safe in the event of a fire.

For Components such as primers & primed primed brass, I use the MTM AC11 Ammo Cans.
ammo-can-plastic-MTM.jpg

The primed brass is kept in CB Ammo Boxes inside of the ammo cans.
613404.jpg

I do this because after I develop a load, I prep all my brass at once and prime it so that they are all as consistent as possible.

As far as powder and bullets, I just use the containers that they ship in.

Primers are kept in 20mm air tight ammo cans, Powder I keep in a metal wall locker. Bullets and brass in M2 type ammo cans.

All powder and primers always in original containers.

Te ammo cans are air/moisture proof and stack nicely

Thanks for all the Ideas, I am gonna go an talk to the Marines, that work on the range about getting some metal ammo cans.
This is why Ilike the Hide, the wealth of knowledge an advice.
Now maybe I can give my wife her platicbins back
smile.gif

Memo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memo43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the Ideas, I am gonna go an talk to the Marines, that work on the range about getting some metal ammo cans.
This is why Ilike the Hide, the wealth of knowledge an advice.
Now maybe I can give my wife her platicbins back
smile.gif

Memo</div></div>
+1 on the sealed ammo cans of all sizes for powder and then ones for primers and then one for blackpowder/ffg/777.
I try to isolate my explosive or flamable items from potential fire as well as moisture.
Who knows, if your house goes up in flames for a different reason, you wouldn't want your explosive powders adding to the fire.
I use 120mm cans to store all my explosives. These can be had for cheap (I bought mine for $5.00 each and bought 4)and they hold a lot of powder containers, boxes of primers,etc,etc.
......SmokeRolls

You guys storing powders confined in closed/sealed ammo cans: VERY BAD IDEA. You've just assembled a giant fire-activated grenade.

Read SAAMI's publication Smokeless Powder Properties and Storage.

The original DOT containers are designed not to explode in the case of ignition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys storing powders confined in closed/sealed ammo cans: VERY BAD IDEA. You've just assembled a giant fire-activated grenade.

The original DOT containers are designed not to explode in the case of ignition.

</div></div>
Thanks for that.....I'll take the gaskets out to help them vent freely.
.....SmokeRolls

Bulk brass is stored in 20mm ammo cans, be aware that they can get fairly heavy when full. My match brass is stored in MTM, or midway 50/100rd. plastic containers.
Bullets are stored in original boxes on a shelf above the bench, excepting bulk stuff (excess of 1k pcs), which is stored in airtight ammo cans. I use a paint pen to mark the outside of each.

I had a fire in my reloading room many years ago. I stored about 50# of powder under the bench and had some primer and powder in metal cabinets over the bench. Lucky for me the metal cabinets were closed at the time of the fire. My plastic die boxes on a open high shelf were melted as were many other things on the open shelves. Plastic items on lower shelves were not melted so one lesson I took away from the incident was keep powder and primers low in the room rather than high. .
We put the fire out but it was getting read to flash at any second. I had probably 50# powder and 10K primers within 10' of the fire at the time.
A refrigerator is a insulated metal box with doors that do not latch and makes a great place to store powder/primers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys storing powders confined in closed/sealed ammo cans: VERY BAD IDEA. You've just assembled a giant fire-activated grenade.

</div></div>
.....SmokeRolls [/quote<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tullius said:
You guys storing powders confined in closed/sealed ammo cans: VERY BAD IDEA. You've just assembled a giant fire-activated grenade.

</div></div>
.....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Don't just take the gaskets out, DO NOT USE THEM LATCHED. I think I like vinconco's idea of the non-latched fridge: good insulation and I would think the door should open before it explodes. However, this may not be the case: some of the magnetic perimeter seals are quite strong, and NFPA/SAAMI does not recommend this explicitly. Anyone done any testing?

I have a nice steel cabinet that I purchased from the local hardware store. I has some nice shelving inside so I can store primers, powders and projectiles in there as well as other little nifty bits.

If need be I can put a dehumidifyer in there also.

The cabinet has breathing space in the form of pre cut slots to allow the shelving to be placed in different spots during assembly. In the case of a fire this thing should not explode violenty due to compression.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

However, this may not be the case: some of the magnetic perimeter seals are quite strong, and NFPA/SAAMI does not recommend this explicitly. Anyone done any testing?</div></div>

I saw a guy put a homemade salute in a refrigerator and yeah, the doors opened all right.... maybe not to NEPA/SAAMI specs but certainly to ROF/LMFAO spec.

I also had an electrical fire in my reloading room. Fortunately, my powder and primers were in the closet next to the fire. It does make you think about storage of flammable items. Although they are pricy, I have been looking at these http://www.seton.com/warehouse-shipping-maintenance/warehouse/flammable-storage.html

When your house was 1-2 min away from being a total loss (according to the fire department) it puts things in perspective, especially if children had been there sleeping. Far to often people do no have proper storage of their powder and primers.

Sometimes when I have a bunch of different powders in 1# containers containing varying amounts of powder I pour them all into one or two and mix it up real good so I get a nice "average".

And instead of buying Final Finish bullets I just roll em around in the sand after applying grease to the bullets adn then fire them. This process gets all the carbon out of my throat and makes all the tooling marks parallel to the rifling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes when I have a bunch of different powders in 1# containers containing varying amounts of powder I pour them all into one or two and mix it up real good so I get a nice "average".

And instead of buying Final Finish bullets I just roll em around in the sand after applying grease to the bullets adn then fire them. This process gets all the carbon out of my throat and makes all the tooling marks parallel to the rifling.</div></div>
This made me chuckle.
Thats why I married my wife, I love sarcasm
laugh.gif

.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys storing powders confined in closed/sealed ammo cans: VERY BAD IDEA. You've just assembled a giant fire-activated grenade.

</div></div>
.....SmokeRolls [/quote<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tullius said:

</div></div>
.....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Don't just take the gaskets out, DO NOT USE THEM LATCHED. I think I like vinconco's idea of the non-latched fridge: good insulation and I would think the door should open before it explodes. However, this may not be the case: some of the magnetic perimeter seals are quite strong, and NFPA/SAAMI does not recommend this explicitly. Anyone done any testing?</div></div>
I drilled two 3/8" holes in the tops of each of the ammo cans. That will breath easy and keep the contents fairly secure at the same time. I'm not done with my reloading room design yet but I will eventually store my powder in a lockable steel cabinet that breathes.
....SmokeRolls

Tractor Supply / TSC
Has the 48" JOBBOX Worksite Toolboxes on sale right now !! $200 ($100 off reg. price )
They are solid steelnd have provisions for 2 padlocks
just like this one ..but in Dirt Red paint color

L13827524.jpg

What about storeing your reloading stuff in a heated room. Will that effect the powder and primers?

I have 3 non working fridge's. One for primers, one for powder,& pre weighed out powder charges in 35mm film containers,& the last one for loaded ammo.
Primed ready to load brass stays in zip loc bags or Folgers plastic coffee cans with lids, on a shelf's,
I keep EVERYTHING labeled because I have developed a bad case of CRS.

I use the plastic containers, but I put all my stuff in a locking cabinet. It is an office depot double door metal cabinet. Works well,and looks clean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is ~ 110 feet of shelving on the 4 walls of the reloading room for file folder boxes.
</div></div>Any pic's or link's of a file folder box? </div></div>
upperNorthwallofreloadingroom12-5-2011600pixels.jpg

The upper North wall of my reloading room seems neat and unclassified tonight.