• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you work up a new load?

Rcd567

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2009
Iowa
Just curious as to other folks ideas.

Do you shoot 5 shot groups? Three shot? Ten shot?

How long between shots do you wait? Or do you just keep firing until you get you X number of rounds fired?

Thanks.

Re: How do you work up a new load?

When I shoot at my local range, they give you 4 targets per board. It makes sense then to shoot 5 shot groups, this way you use 1 box of ammo per target board. Three shot groups are nice to show off but I think 5 shot groups are more telling of a gun/shooters overall accuracy. 10 shot groups imo is a waste of money/time/effort. I have a Savage bull barrel that is .840" at the muzzle. I have noticed that after about 5 rounds the barrel gets a nice temperature (Warm/Hot) but not too hot to touch. This is when she starts shooting awesome. You should know that I am shooting in 100+ degrees F ambient temperature. I believe that a sweet spot exist when the barrel is warm. I can maintain this temperature by allowing 3-5 minutes between shots. Your mileage will vary depending a number of variables. I have been thinking about buying a little digital thermometer with a probe and taping it to the barrel when shooting. I am constantly grabbing the barrel to feel how hot it is.

I usually start 3 gr less than max and work up in .5 gr increments with 5 rounds each. I like to shoot and I like to shoot for groups. So once I narrow it down I load 10 just make make sure it's not a fluke and I can repeat the groups.

I have shot many great 200 yard groups but then come back to do it again and have the rounds hit all over the paper. Thats why I repeat with 10 rounds.

I usually start out about 2.5 grains below the max and then work up by increment of 0.5, or 0.3 grains. Set them at normal COAL. I take the compromise approach of 4 rounds per load. Once I have a good group, then I vary the COAL to see if I can even improve that grouping.

I usually make up 5 of each weight, .6 gr above and below an OBT accuracy node (QuickLoad or other interior ballistic programs will give you barrel times), in .3gr increments.
Then I shoot them "round robin" for five shot group. (say 42.0 at dot #1, 42.3 at dot #2, 42.6 at dot #3, 42.9 at dot #4, 43.1 at dot#5: repeat five times). This should eliminate "pulled" shots for spoiling your results.
Once I find the best of these I can play with seating depth and see if it helps, but usually don't need to much. I load my 168's for 308 to the same ogive depth as FGMM and that usually does fine (and doesn't cause any mag feed issues).

Google "optimal barrel time" if you don't know what I'm referring to.

I shoot 5 shot groups with .223 and 3 shot groups with 338WM.

Everything in between is in between.

If I go to the range with one rifle and one type of handload, I am going to shoot allot of 5 shot groups. If I go with 6 rifle and 25 kinds of handloads, I am going to shoot allot of 3 shot groups.

The important thing is to write on the target at the range, take notes at the range, and write up a range report as soon as I get home. Include in the report; the goals, what was learned, and what is the plan to do next. I staple the targets to the print out and email the report to my buddies.

Next time I get ready to go to the range, I re read the last report on the rifles I am taking.

shoot a ladder test and find max for YOUR rifle... use books as guidelines, but remember they are lawyer loads...

work backwards from there to max velocity & find accuracy...

kill two birds with one stone

I start with a ladder type, but I modded it to serve 2 purposes. However I do 3 shot groups (gasp!!) of each powder weight up to published max. I leave everything else identical. I'll usually do magazine length for starters until I find the powder charges that the rifle likes. When you are tweeking a load, change only one thing at a time. If you change several things, you don't know which one caused the degredation, or improvement. It's possible that one change cancelled out the improvement of another change. One thing at a time.

The last ladder test I did was on my 178amax's with 4 groups starting 2 grains under max in .5gr increments. 3 groups were .4's, and the last one was a .5. You tell me, which one was the best charge! lol.

Once I complete the ladder test and see the results i'll confirm with 3-5shot groups. Then the tweeking begins if I choose to. My 178's I wanted to be a 2.800" COL load for magazine length, so it was simple to get that load put together. It pretty much always shoots in the .5-.6's as long as I don't botch my follow through too bad, or have stupid winds.

Tomorrow (or Sunday) i'm going to take notes of my CCB placement, and set the zero, along with starting another ladder test of RL17 powder, and a 208amax. Wish I had a chrono to send them over for more data.

Branden

Save your Targets also so that you have a visual when looking at your notes.