• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How does 220-grain .300 WIN MAG compare to 190-gra

dragoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Carolina Lowcountry
What kind of range and accuracy can be expected from 220-grain .300 Winchester Magnum factory Match loads , as well as 190-grain ? Platform would be a 26" bolt-action . Thanks in advance ...

Re: How does 220-grain .300 WIN MAG compare to 190-gra

I've never shot the 220. They just don't make any sense from my perspective because I handload and the 208/210's are king.

But a more appropriate question might be, "What kind of range do you have available?". In my experience, at least shooting steel, paper and rocks, I find it harder to locate a spot that has enough distance to outleg the round.

That being said, we've shot 200 SMK's to over a mile. They don't cut wind like the 208, but they'll get there. The 208's are still grouping nicely well over 2K (we're shooting at roughly 4500 ft or 25.5 inHG), so depending on your AO, I would guess somewhere between a mile and just over 2K. Stuff that has a heartbeat would dictate a serious reduction in those numbers. IIRC, the US Military quoted new effective range of the MK248 Mod1 (220 SMK) as 1500 yds. with moa accuracy. I believe it was 1200 yds. for A191 (MK258 Mod0) 190 SMK

John

Reactions: Saracen

Please let me know where I can find some 220 grn match 300 win mag ammo. Thanks

HSM makes some, but it's not MK248 Mod1 clone. IIRC, it's loaded to 3.34" OAL.

John

We have both here now with a group of shooters using the Mk13, so I will let you know for sure the difference because they brought both loads...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of range and accuracy can be expected from 220-grain .300 Winchester Magnum factory Match loads , as well as 190-grain ? Platform would be a 26" bolt-action . Thanks in advance ... </div></div>

in my gun (Reminton 700 5r .300WM) theres about a 150-200 FPS diffrence between the 190 FGGM & my 220SMK handloads. i know the 208/210's shoot better but i do not want to spend the time finding the sweet spot when the SMK is basically load & go.

i load my 220SMK ten off the lands & over H1000 with 215M primers in Win cases,..i get 3/4" @100yds and i can't shoot worth a damn, and the round easily gets out to 1K. According to the BulletFlight software i use i should be able to get out past 1300yds easy.

i would also like to find some factory loaded 220's but i've never seen any so i had to roll my own.

I'll load any bullet you want in the 300WM. I've done 190, 200, 220, 240 SMK, 210 VLD's and 208 A-max's. They all are hammers. I personally like the 190 SMK, since it shoots so well and is fast and flat. But the 208 A-max and 210 VLD are king when it comes to 1000 + yards. I love the 300WM, and know it very well.

Reactions: Raffica762

You can shoot either of those bullets farther than you would ever need to, nuff said

Chad,

What is the best or easiest way for a customer to get chamber dimensions on a rifle so you can make a custom load for it? Or is it not necessary for you to have this information to produce a high quality product.

Thanks

Chad offers a service to bring your rifle in to his shop and detail the load out for you, then send back the rifle and the data with the option of having loaded ammo in the shipment as well.

If you want to save yourself the time and do it the best way, send him the rifle and let him do the leg work.

It helps to know, but is not 100% necessary. I can load up test ammo to standard COAL (cartridge overall length), and vary the powder charge to find a good load. Typically I will send test loads with 5 rounds each in 5 groups (25 rounds). Each load will increase in powder charge from the next one. Shoot for groups until you find one your rifle likes. For the 300WM, I'd recommend testing the loads at a minimum of 200 yards, and prefer 300 yards. I've tested enough loads with the 300 WM to know where to be at on the powder charge. Each rifle has a similar sweet spot, but they all can vary. So, this is why it helps to tune the load to the rifle. Most groups will shoot ok, or about MOA. Then one or two of the loads will shrink up, and this is your sweet spot. If you shoot them through a chronograph, you normally see the ES and SD decrease for the sweet spot load, also.

I'm also building a 300 win mag, I was planning to use the new 225 grain coming out. But it seems it was over hyped because the 208 has almost as much BC. I almost ordered a 29" barrel for them but decided on a 26" for the 208's. Seeing I'm a newbie to ELR and don't have much experience reading the wind I'm down for anything that bucks the wind better. Read the posts that Dave Tooley writes he is very knowledgeable and helped develop the new round for Hornaday. I planned on having Chad doing my load development seeing I'm a newbie to reloading also.

Shot a little of it today...

300wm.jpg

300wmbrass.jpg

300wmdata.jpg

It's faster than the 190, uses less dope across the board and beats the wind better.

The specs I read about the new 220 round the velocity was well up there,.(I stop between 2750-2760fps or so). I'd love to measure some of the fired casings and compare it to my Winchester brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruzie27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The specs I read about the new 220 round the velocity was well up there,.(I stop between 2750-2760fps or so). I'd love to measure some of the fired casings and compare it to my Winchester brass. </div></div>

Taken from the MK248 Mod1 spec:

"3.6.2 Chamber Pressure. (M106) [The corrected average chamber
pressure shall not exceed 68,100 pounds per square inch (psi) at
70°F.] Neither the chamber pressure of an individual sample test
cartridge nor the average chamber pressure plus three standard
deviations of chamber pressure shall exceed 78,900 psi."

That's a bit stouter than we're used to in the SAAMI world.

I'm guessing the Military is not really concerned with reloading.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing the Military is not really concerned with reloading.</div></div>

Reloading, it's lucky it even gets picked up, let alone <span style="font-style: italic">reloaded</span>.
smile.gif

I should have taken a picture of the 55 gallon drum of the once fired 338 Lapua brass we had, 52 cases makes an awful mess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have taken a picture of the 55 gallon drum of the once fired 338 Lapua brass we had, 52 cases makes an awful mess. </div></div>

The burden you guys bear is very moving
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot a little of it today...

It's faster than the 190, uses less dope across the board and beats the wind better. </div></div>

Frank,

Did you record any velocities? (I'm assuming this was out of a MK13) The 2008 spec. I saw called for 2950 FPS, which seemed a little ambitious, bu last years spec. was dialed back to a more reasonable 2850+-50. Just curious what it really ends up being in a service rifle.

Thanks,

John

They numbers they have are between, 2960 and 2980 depending on rifle. On average past 600 yards it tracked 2MOA less across the board.

In a custom stick they said they get about 3k out of it.

Shot it to 1250 this morning, great conditions, DA just about 1000, the dope averaged between 35.5 and 37 MOA for the different rifles.

Super consistent at the target, great hits on steel with very little vertical displacement.

Wasn't the A191 loaded to 3100? Or were you talking maintaining average speed out to 1k?

Also, I had read in a couple places that the 190's don't always remain stable @ 1k. I did not personally experience instability with them. I did shoot them at a higher altitude (my own reloads not A191).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot it to 1250 this morning, great conditions, DA just about 1000, the dope averaged between 35.5 and 37 MOA for the different rifles.

Super consistent at the target, great hits on steel with very little vertical displacement.

</div></div>

Any chance you could post a log of the dopes for 190's and 220 out to 1250? I have never shot my 300wm past 600 and would like to see what the you came up..... Also what barrel length was the rifle 24-26"

L.A.

Am I missing something? You are getting 2950+ fps with 220 SMK in a 300WM? Or is that the 190's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I missing something? You are getting 2950+ fps with 220 SMK in a 300WM? Or is that the 190's? </div></div>

I'm pretty sure those numbers were in response to:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot a little of it today...

It's faster than the 190, uses less dope across the board and beats the wind better. </div></div>

Frank,

Did you record any velocities? (I'm assuming this was out of a MK13) The 2008 spec. I saw called for 2950 FPS, which seemed a little ambitious, bu last years spec. was dialed back to a more reasonable 2850+-50. Just curious what it really ends up being in a service rifle.

Thanks,

John </div></div>

Like I said.. you guys won't have to fight me for this stuff for reloading. Stock up on SuperGlue & fingernail polish for the primers though.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I missing something? You are getting 2950+ fps with 220 SMK in a 300WM? Or is that the 190's? </div></div>

Wow, that's smoking for a 220 gr. It took a good amount of Retumbo to get my 208's going the same velocity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....Taken from the MK248 Mod1 spec:

"3.6.2 Chamber Pressure. (M106) [The corrected average chamber
pressure shall not exceed 68,100 pounds per square inch (psi) at
70°F.] Neither the chamber pressure of an individual sample test
cartridge nor the average chamber pressure plus three standard
deviations of chamber pressure shall exceed 78,900 psi.".......</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They numbers they have are between, 2960 and 2980 depending on rifle. On average past 600 yards it tracked 2MOA less across the board.

In a custom stick they said they get about 3k out of it. </div></div>

Interesting. I'm kinda curious how long those barrels will hold accuracy.

At any rate, that's a quantum leap from 175s at 2600-ish fps.

This 'Mod1 should do very well at ELR in the altitudes of A-stan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At any rate, that's a quantum leap from 175s at 2600-ish fps.

This 'Mod1 should do very well at ELR in the altitudes of A-stan.</div></div>

Yessir,... Yessir, I believe it will.

i still cannot stop thinking of a 55 gal drum of lapua brass. i guess this amt of trigger time kinda helps with estimation......heaven

I loaded up some 220's today - 73.9gr. of H1000 / fed case / winchester large rifle magnum primers / .015 off the lands - didn't really impress me much out of my remington 700 5-R. Best group was .922" @ 100yrds (3 shot group). Would have liked to shoot further, the other ranges were closed for repair. I get better results with 208 gr. A-max's / 190 gr. Sierra's / 200 gr. Sierra's. (.25" - .50" 3 shot groups @ 100 yrds.)

Reactions: Arevalosocom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad offers a service to bring your rifle in to his shop and detail the load out for you, then send back the rifle and the data with the option of having loaded ammo in the shipment as well.

If you want to save yourself the time and do it the best way, send him the rifle and let him do the leg work. </div></div>

This is very good to know. Chad I will be talking to you very soon as soon as my High Caliber Sales MK13 MOD5 makes it to me.!!!

Have you guys tried any of the monolithic bullets that Dave can make over to Lehigh Bullets? He gave me some 192gr high bc bullets and the 190SMK gets dwarfed by it. I can't wait to try them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigWill214</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you guys tried any of the monolithic bullets that Dave can make over to Lehigh Bullets? He gave me some 192gr high bc bullets and the 190SMK gets dwarfed by it. I can't wait to try them. </div></div>

Do you have any more info? I couldn't find them on his website.

John

He had them left over from a 30-378 build.. or something to that effect. Anyways he said at the time he was working on some but I haven't seen them produced yet. Here is a pic of the two for comparison. The solids need to be fired out of a 1-10 twist.. I tried them in my 308 with a 1-11.25 and it keyholed. I do have to admit though all three keyholes were very close to one another..lol

Lehigh192vs190SMK.jpg

Concerning the Lehigh 30 cals.I called Lehigh earlier today and left a message asking if they were available.I'll let you guys know what happened.

I might sell my 375CT if I can get a good supply of them.

Eamil from Dave I recv'd today,

<span style="color: #3333FF">John,

Thank you for the inquiry. You can post this if it helps answer some questions.

I had a bunch of inquiries on a 192gr, .308 today. We made several trial lots of bullets over a year ago and I have the support documentation at the shop and do not remember the specifics. We got very busy on .338 and up calibers and backburnered this for a while and have not gotten back to it. The .308 is on the to do list and it just needs more development time to refine the design.

We are going to be at the SHOT show under Lehigh Defense so if anyone has the opportunity to stop by and chat about the .308, it would be helpful to me to hear what your objectives are for a high bc, 30.

At this time we do not have anything through test and ready for sale. Primarily, I would like to know what twist and velocity you want and we can design around that.

Thanks,
Dave</span>

My response would be 1:10 and 3050-3100'ish. I'm planning a 30" barrel, so perhaps higher. If we could come to a concensus, we might be able to use volume to get better pricing.

I'd also like to see an approximate BC, before I go very far.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it would be helpful to me to hear what your objectives are for a high bc, 30.

At this time we do not have anything through test and ready for sale. Primarily, I would like to know what twist and velocity you want and we can design around that.</div></div>

227 Grain, 740 B.C., Twist according to length. Excellent.

I'm looking to push these through a Rock 5R 1-10 twist 300wm. All i gotta do now is get the stock and trigger and someone to put it all together. So hopefully those will work well.

Dave from Lehigh called yesterday evening.He told me pretty much all the things mentioned in Johns post.

He did mention that it was "important" to email him expressing interest for a 30 cal turned solid. Obviously he's gauging interest to see if there will be enough demand.

Well maybe we should set up a thread for a group buy on this and get a legit number of people and the number of bullets that we would be looking to purchase. Dave is a good dude, I'm sure we could get a good deal from him.

tag