• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How does the Barrett 98B compare to others?

Re: How does the Barrett 98B compare to others?

It seems really nice. I bought one but had to deploy before having time to break in the barrel.

I have a 98 and very happy with it,would buy another one. Am new to it yet but have shot 3" 5 shot groups at 600 yds in local competition.

I like mine, only about 40 rnds down the tube, factory load 3 shot under .25", 5 shot, .6" at 100yrd, new to shooting it and was adjusting scope at time (S+B) so was not really trying. I'm sure I can get the 5 shot into the .5" for factory or better once I adjust to the recoil etc. That one group alone was in the .4's with a 4, then the 'flier' opening it up to .6, mutter. Handloading will only make it better when I start doing my part

The Barrett 98B is a very accurate build, they may not be as popular do to being released a few years back and the price tag. My 27” 98B serves me well and likes the 300 gr. Scenar’s. Built well, ready to run and shoot not a big deal as far as break in’s and clean ups, a piece made for work.

I have run rounds out to some very extreme distances with great accuracy and results

oneshot.onehit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barrettshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 98 and very happy with it,would buy another one. Am new to it yet but have shot 3" 5 shot groups at 600 yds in local competition. </div></div>

Well it looks cool and all but honestly you can get performance like this with a .308 which is alot cheaper to shoot which translates to more trigger time. My .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blakheaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barrettshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 98 and very happy with it,would buy another one. Am new to it yet but have shot 3" 5 shot groups at 600 yds in local competition. </div></div>

Well it looks cool and all but honestly you can get performance like this with a .308 which is alot cheaper to shoot which translates to more trigger time. My .02 </div></div>

at 600 yards, yes, but what if you want to go past 1k yards?

Get a 338 lapua gap for less money than a 98b and never look back!

They are cool and all but get a 338 variant and you will be happier I bet. Unless you need something to shoot "hard" targets a 338 is cheaper and nicer to shoot.

After.fifty rounds of testing last summer on the barret I was ready to be done! Desert tactical 338 lapua though, I wanted to shoot all day. If committed to fifty cal, they are good rifles. Brake makes you eat dirt though!

Like any of these pricy guns, if u can, shoot it first. Lemons aside, most will shoot better than I can get them to. The barrett was perfect for me. I like the ergonomics, takedown, comfort and have been very happy with factory ammo performance. Can't wait to start working up loads, got a couple of rifles ahead of it to work up first

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sumbeach75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tac-ops.period. </div></div>

on what action..??..??

I am all for Tac-Ops....

ona Remington action with handloads.....???

I love my TRG42. Great rifle for an outstanding price.

Back to the guys shooting the Barrett... are you shooing 250 or 300 gr?

for me, just the 250 at this point. I shot some bulk police ammo, HSM or something. It was broadside of barn MOA. I feared I had a lemon rifle. Spent 100 bucks on a box of hornady 250g and it did great. Should easily be a 1/2 MOA or better rifle with handloads as I was about there with my first box of factory. ( 3 shot was under, opened up at 5 shots due to shooter) Shooting the 338 well for a guy who usually shoots smaller stuff also lends to some error. I'm sure I will get better and overall love the rifle for what it is.

300gr Lapua Scenar is the most accurate factory .338 Lapua ammo on the market. That's based on thousands of rounds in dozens of guns, including several 98Bs. Should average 0.5-0.6 MOA.