• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Does The Hornady 168 grain HPBT Performance Compare to the Sierra 168 Grain SMK's

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Since I haven't been able to find 168 Sierra SMK's and am just about out of them has anyone been using Hornady 308" 168gr Match BTHP in their rifle. I am interested in how they perform in terms of group size to the SMK's. I have been able to locate the Hornady 168's but I am hesitant to order them since I don't now how they will perform. Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA

I haven't shot the SMK's because they haven't been available, but I have been shooting the Hornady 168 HPBTs. I haven't had the chance to chrono them but 44.4gr Varget behind them has produced 0.78 MOA ten shot groups at 200 yds. Haven't been able to shoot any farther, though. I like them and they have been available and semi cheap for me so I'll keep using them.

I haven't shot the SMK's because they haven't been available, but I have been shooting the Hornady 168 HPBTs. I haven't had the chance to chrono them but 44.4gr Varget behind them has produced 0.78 MOA ten shot groups at 200 yds. Haven't been able to shoot any farther, though. I like them and they have been available and semi cheap for me so I'll keep using them.
    Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated.

The hornady's shoot great for me. The picture is from an OCW out of a new rifle using them. The average of all 5 groups across a 1+gr range of powder charge I believe still was under .5".

In fact I thought I've read it is the 168gr that black hills uses and I've had two 5 shot groups covered by a dime using the black hills.

gazu4e7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were 3 500 count boxes of 168gr SMK's at my local store last week.
    I guess I should get off my rear and go buy them.
    They don't have any of my favorite 180gr SMK's which is what I have been waiting for but the 168's are good for my M1A's.