• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How does the MK5 do in PRS?

Jonnyb0381

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2018
I was just curious to see how the Leupold Mark5 does in PRS matches? How well does it hold up? Is anybody noticing any problems?

It’s not widely popular here on the hide it seems. People are a little shy in leupold after the mark 6 debacle. And the mark 8 was just priced too high.

I’ve owned a mk5 briefly and it seem just as good as any other optic in the same price tier.

Reticles suck (comparatively speaking) though unless you like Horus.

Haven’t heard of one going tits up yet.

Reactions: Jonnyb0381
I have the 5-25 Mark 5 with the CCH reticle. I’m no PRS shooter, rather, I’m a PD shooter (prairie dog). Bought the scope late fall, so I’ve only sighted it in.

The CCH looks quite similar to the new Nightforce Mil-XT reticle that people are crowing about. I’m sure there are important differences that I haven’t noticed. I do like the mil-xt a little better, due to NF using dots vs a phelthora of hashes like the CCH does. PD’s are small, and get covered up by reticle junk!

Some more info on the CCH: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/leupold-cch-vs-horus-59-reticles.6899883/

It’s not widely popular here on the hide it seems. People are a little shy in leupold after the mark 6 debacle. And the mark 8 was just priced too high.

I’ve owned a mk5 briefly and it seem just as good as any other optic in the same price tier.

I can understand this about the Mark 6 and the reticle options. Makes sense to me

What do you mean by the mark 6 debacle? Sorry I haven’t been following optics awhile. I was looking st the mark 6 too at one point.

What do you mean by the mark 6 debacle? Sorry I haven’t been following optics awhile. I was looking st the mark 6 too at one point.
From what Ive read many feel that the Mark 5 is what the Mark 6 should have been.
The Mark 5 has better turrets and better lens coatings than the Mark 6. Not sure what other differences there is.

Lots of issues like canted reticles. Issues with the squeeze turrets.

Lots of returns in general.

To be fair, I believe leupold stood behind their warranty and fixed it all. It just didn’t instill a lot of confidence.

I don't have firsthand experience with it but I asked some guys that compete.. Mk5 vs the Eotech 5-25 for PRS and they said 5-25 because of the top end mag. I don't shoot PRS so I can't comment but I do think the MK5 is a perfect hunting scope and it may suit that market better than the PRS world

I have the MK5 in the 3.6-18 model on my LR hunting gun. I went with the Tremor reticle for hunting. A friend has the MK5 5-25 and has shot a couple of long range practical matches with it. A few of the stages are more PRS oriented, off barricades, logs, etc. He really likes his. It has the CCH reticle. I have looked through it plenty of times and it is just way too cluttered for my taste. Not a bad scope though in my opinion.

I've been running the 5-25 with a cch reticle for about 6 months and so far no issues. I shoot at least 1 match a month and shot the brawl with it last month

My Mark 5 failed me at the Quiet Riot last year. It would't consistently return to zero. It took 8 weeks to repair. I haven't used it at a match since but it has tracked near perfectly since the repair.

My Mark 5 failed me at the Quiet Riot last year. It would't consistently return to zero. It took 8 weeks to repair. I haven't used it at a match since but it has tracked near perfectly since the repair.
Sorry to hear but glad its tracking better now. Thanks for the feedback

I've used my Mk5 in a handful of matches, the latest being a couple of weekends ago. I've not had any problems with it. Tracks great, returns to zero, glass looks great to my eyes, and the turrets hash marks line up perfectly.

Awesome. All positive is what I like to see.
Thanks for the feedback and I hope it continues to serve you well!