• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How does this rack happen?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Friend was out walking his land and came upon a hunter with a kill.

Guy had a tough haul so friend got his Ranger SXS to help him out.

Nice deer but weird rack.....

1604250609218.png

What happened there?

Genetics. On years I get to hunt I always use one of my two allotted bucks to cull one who we don’t want breeding.

Last edited:
    Reactions: diggler1833
    Could be either. Had a friend shoot one just like that last year and taxidermist found an injury on that side of his skull that caused it.

On the other hand I’ve seen a couple bucks we need to cull out of our place that have a genetic defect on one side that causes them to be Under developed. Other side looks completely normal.

First pic is the injury and the second one is the genetic issue.

F0E6D249-CD66-4B2A-B977-948FEFC4F76F.jpeg

4FC3BAC0-AB40-4013-A700-523D190C32A5.jpeg

I had a buck like that last year.
    The year before he has a symmetrical rack.

While skinning him, I found where he fractured the opposing side back leg.

couple things, Genetics... could have broke off early, and looks like a young buck. I've seen bucks look like that on one side and then boom in year 5-7. But from my experience... That is a good management kill to get them out of the herd.

Young deer, genetics, and poor forage will all combine to produce less than ideal antler growth. In a good forage year, a buck with “poor” antler genetics can produce decent antlers. But, when the food isn’t there, deer (especially young deer) put all of their available calories into body growth. Antler growth comes as a distant third, and you’ll see more spikes than in better years.

Thread: pretty much a disappointment.

I’ll have to find an old picture to upload but years ago , early 90son thanksgiving morning deer drives my dad shot a large bodies old deer with a very nice 5 point rack on right side and a spiral unicorn main beam on the other side that went straight up with one small brow tine, the deers right leg was stiff as a board, had been for quite some time. I’ve shot a few half racked bucks but those were obviously busted off . We have on the farm now a very wide ten point , 5 on one side very impressive, 4 1/2 - 5. 1/2 year old deer I’d guess by the size and the thickness of the neck and the “sway back” but the other side looks like a 5 point rack that a 1.5-2.5 year old deer would have , its typical and looks just like the opposite side but about 1/3 the size, we’ve seen him several times , though not in the stand yet. I really wonder if I ever get him in bow range if I’ll find evidence of injury?

Reactions: Baron23
    Thank you for the replies.

Ill pass the info on to my friend that took the photo.

Interesting regards how injury can effect.....

According to Dr.Deer, if the front leg of a deer is injured that side antler will be goofy. The nerves cross over behind the shoulders. If the back leg is injured the opposite side antler will be goofy.
    i have a goofy one at the house i shot several years ago as well. Had an injured back leg and opposite side was messed up so i done a lil research and learnt that. True or not i dont know but i suppose it made sense

Reactions: pmclaine