• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How does your precision AR shoot?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    For everyone that has a precision AR, how does it shoot?

I have a Larue Stealth and it shoots 1.5" 5 shot groups at 100 with Hornady TAP and Black Hills 75 BTHP. 1.5-2" with BH 60 gr. VMAX. Seem to have a wandering zero, gun does get banged around alot.

I can shoot .75 or less all day long with my .308 LTR and .6 or less with my .223 M700.

How does your AR shoot?

-dan

Re: How does your precision AR shoot?

What's the twist, and how does it shoot with the 75's at 300?
    The zero should not wander, abuse or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the twist, and how does it shoot with the 75's at 300?
    The zero should not wander, abuse or not. </div></div>

1 in 8 IIRC.

Ashamed to say I have not shot paper with it past 100. Work good on steel and deer out to 400, but I guess that doesn't help. Tried to shoot steel at 700 and wasn't too successful.

The zero was off by 2" left and 1/2" high. I can understand the height difference due to it being hot and humid now, but now the 2" left.

-dan

How did you conclude your zero was 2" left and 1/2" high at 700 when your having trouble holding MOA at 100?

My Model 1 Sales Varmint Upper in .223 1-9" 20" Bull can shoot 1/2 MOA w/ handloads, .75 MOA consistantly.

i got this theory......i want to be able to shoot crap ammo in a AR and make it print 3/4" @ 100yd.....and i do it w/a colt.....which subtends to doing head shots on larue at 500yd prone.....which it do.

its all about triggers and barrels

Sometimes the 8 and 7 twists don't stabilize the heavier bullets well at 100. I have a few loads that shoot 1.5 MOA at 100, but also at 200 and 300. Shoot the same loads at 200. If groups don't open up much there might be no problem.

But 1 MOA or better should be doable, easily. Try 68gr BH load and the 77gr BH load. See which one it likes better. Your zero shouldn't move 2" at 100. That much left deviation, barring a mechanical problem, is likely your trigger pull.

if your zero is wandering.....something is wrong. Either with you or with the scope/base/rings.....ammo, distance, ect,........... don't matter.

A quality AR builder once told me....."the ugly truth is most rack grade AR's will hold MOA with decent ammo from a bench...." If you are shooting a premium barrel/upper like larue with premium ammo and its not even holding MOA....then there is an issue. The stealth uppers are at least 1:8 twist so there should be no problem with the heavier bullets.

IMHO......"banged around" and "wandering zero" do go together......and that's why people who bang aroung their rifles pay insane money for insanely "overbuilt" rings, bases and scopes.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you conclude your zero was 2" left and 1/2" high at 700 when your having trouble holding MOA at 100?

My Model 1 Sales Varmint Upper in .223 1-9" 20" Bull can shoot 1/2 MOA w/ handloads, .75 MOA consistantly.

</div></div>

I didn't do much shooting at 700.

I concluded the gun was shooting 2" left and 1/2" high when I rezeroed it at 100 today. Knew I needed to rezero when I was hitting the left side of my target stand instead of the 3x6 300 yard steel target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes the 8 and 7 twists don't stabilize the heavier bullets well at 100. I have a few loads that shoot 1.5 MOA at 100, but also at 200 and 300. Shoot the same loads at 200. If groups don't open up much there might be no problem. </div></div>
    I will have to see how it does at 200, and 300, maybe 400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But 1 MOA or better should be doable, easily. Try 68gr BH load and the 77gr BH load. See which one it likes better. Your zero shouldn't move 2" at 100. That much left deviation, barring a mechanical problem, is likely your trigger pull. </div></div>

May very well be my trigger pull, I am a little rusty. I shoot in the field at live targets alot more than paper, I need to get back to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your zero is wandering.....something is wrong. Either with you or with the scope/base/rings.....ammo, distance, ect,........... don't matter.

A quality AR builder once told me....."the ugly truth is most rack grade AR's will hold MOA with decent ammo from a bench...." If you are shooting a premium barrel/upper like larue with premium ammo and its not even holding MOA....then there is an issue. The stealth uppers are at least 1:8 twist so there should be no problem with the heavier bullets.

IMHO......"banged around" and "wandering zero" do go together......and that's why people who bang aroung their rifles pay insane money for insanely "overbuilt" rings, bases and scopes....... </div></div>

Well the gun has a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 in a Larue mount. I don't think there is anything wrong with them.

Only thing I can think of is I removed my M4-96D flashhider when I cleaned the gun last, but I put it on the same way I always have, so I don't think that is the problem. The suppressor only goes on one way.

Looking for the weak link, it may very well be me, but I can shoot my 700s, 10/22s, 77/22s etc just fine.

-dan

My DPMS MARK 12 averages .5 five shot groups with 62 grain ATI ammunition with the best group being .147. The barrel is an 8 twist but seems to favor the 62 grain bullets over the 75’s and 77’s

Rock River Varmint 18" 1/8 twist will shoot Hornady 75gr BTHP Match handloads with mixed brass 1.25" group at 200 yards.

deersniper,
    WHat trigger is in your lower? Also what length is your stealth upper.
    Also, when You put your mount on the rail you are pushing forward into the slot. Once it is on and the Larue levers are locked there should be NO play. The little wrench can be used to tighten the nut on the lever. I set mine to be a little hard to close.

I'm not assuming you don't know this just giving you things I have had to learn.

Jack

This is what mine does at 100yrds with 62gr. Remington HP match
    37in10shotgroupat50yrdswith68grBlac.jpg
    factory loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes the 8 and 7 twists don't stabilize the heavier bullets well at 100. I have a few loads that shoot 1.5 MOA at 100, but also at 200 and 300. Shoot the same loads at 200. If groups don't open up much there might be no problem. </div></div>
    I will have to see how it does at 200, and 300, maybe 400. </div></div>

That may be, but I have shot an awful lot of heavy bullets in 1:8 and 1:7.7 barrels and I have never seen that. I also do not remember anyone ever reporting that either. My match loads are all 80gr bullets, very long ones and they all group very nicely at 100 yards. They had better, because they would be useless at 300, 600, or 1000 yards. So do not waste your time at longer distances if you can group well at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But 1 MOA or better should be doable, easily. Try 68gr BH load and the 77gr BH load. See which one it likes better. Your zero shouldn't move 2" at 100. That much left deviation, barring a mechanical problem, is likely your trigger pull. </div></div>

May very well be my trigger pull, I am a little rusty. I shoot in the field at live targets alot more than paper, I need to get back to that. </div></div>
    It may well be that something is broken or loose, but it might be the case where you are just not exploiting the accuracy of the rifle properly. If you are an experienced shooter who can shoot his bolt guns well, you may be figthing the AR instead of interfacing with it. It is a different animal than a bolt gun for precision shooting. I know this, I use one in F-class, but I am here to tell you the regular AR can shoot very well, IF you let it.

I adapted my AR to me and to my style of shooting. I am 6' 4'' and I shoot prone most of the time, with some bech time for load development. The average AR is too small for me and the pistol grip is miniature. I replaced some parts and learned to shoot the AR well. I find it has a somewhat different follow through than a bolt gun, but it's hard to explain.

Also, for pure raw accuracy, I shoot my AR loading one round at a time and for that I use a Bob Sled and of course the ammo was loaded up for it using the finest components. With this setup, I am now able to shoot F-class Master scores at 300 and 600 with a recent match in High Master territory. I really don't keep track of group sizes, they become irrelevant after a while, it's the scores that tell the story. Just as in your case it's the metal and the deer.

What I do find critically important is to be able to totally depend on the rifle, load and scope, day after day after month. If you say your zero wanders, that is not good and once you have eliminated your hold on the rifle as a factor, you need to verify that it does not move. My first guess would be the cheekweld. The AR is a little difficult to hold the exact same way every time with a scope and a regular stock.

Just some things to consider.

I am not the greatest shot, nor do I spend much time shooting semi's. That said, I briefly owned a Larue 20" SSS complete rifle.

I didnt do any load development, just loaded up some 77 grain SMK's in a moderate load. I only took it to the range once or twice but from pretty much the first group, I was getting 5 shot 100 yard groups in the .5's and .6's. I did not expect it to shoot that well. Was pretty much amazed and I now have new expectations from any precision AR I may get in the future.

I've been having trouble with my bull barrel AR having lots of flyers, turns out it was me. I was having trouble getting a good trigger pull with it and did a lot of dry firing until I figured out what worked the best. I have more trouble getting a good trigger pull with this AR than with my bolt actions. With reloads it shoots about .75MOA and 1MOA at most. It's been fairly consistantly shooting around 1MOA with anything else.

I've never had an AR that didn't shoot,that being said,I've only owned one factory AR,I build all my own,start with a quality barrel or have one custom made for other than 5.56mm,good FF forend,good trigger,use a Scout Rail to give proper eye relief for larger scopes,furniture that gives me a comfortable grip and cheek weld,and an Accuwedge to take up any rattle.Zero it in and go kill critters!!!

Are you using a two-stage trigger? Your accuracy could be hurting due to shooting with an inconsistent trigger causing the trigger to break before you are on target.