• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How, exactly, is anyone getting powder? Serious question.

Senor_Barney

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Northern California
    Can someone explain like I'm five how anybody at all is getting powder these days?

Given no online retailers, or any brick-and-mortar shop within 300 miles of me in Northern California, seems to ever have powder for sale you would think that there should be zero shooting for any of us.

And yet, my local range is still having weekend steel competitions...still holding the long range practices, and doesnt seem like foot traffic has died at all.

Ive not been able to back order anything, it seems. Plus, we are all on the same "notify me when in stock" lists at the same places. For which I've gotten zero notifications.

MSS
    Grafs
    Precision Reloading
    Brownells
    Powder Valley
    scheels
    Midway
    Sharpshooter
    Selway
    Hodgdon direct

It seems to me that you have to know someone to get some powder "held in back" or something else entirely. Fluke perhaps?

Not trying to piss anybody off or open a can of worms but just looking for some helpful advice from those that went through thia back in the 2012-2014 time frame what I can/should be doing that does NOT involve dropping my pants and bending over on gunbroker.

Thanks! Ill get off my soap box.

Last edited:
    They have powder around. Depends on where you go. Academy? Forget it. There’s local shops around that are getting it. I’ve seen 4064, 5895 and 4350. You have to go to shops and ask when they get shipments. Usually once a month and def NOT every kind they’ll get. But remember, many of those comp shooters probably have 50lbs of powder, brass, 50k+ primers stored since they shoot so much and have bought before pandemic.

Reactions: Sparky12421
    Discord is the best notifications I have seen on reloading needs of every type. Everything is overpriced, but it does show up there. You have to jump on it literally seconds after a notification is sent. So if you don’t have a boring office job like myself, then you might wanna make friends with someone who does.

Powder comes to those sites you listed. You just have to be alert and fast when it does.

Some people stocked up before this situation happened either as a precaution or out of habit.

Now ask about primers. . . :poop:
    Yep. The bottleneck to reloading lol

Scheels has powder sitting on the shelf last time I was in there a couple days ago.

powder has come into all of those places mentioned, you just gotta be quick. It’s actually been getting better, and I’ve seen more notifications for primers also

Discord is the best notifications I have seen on reloading needs of every type. Everything is overpriced, but it does show up there. You have to jump on it literally seconds after a notification is sent. So if you don’t have a boring office job like myself, then you might wanna make friends with someone who does.
    That or pay $60 a lb on gun broker. There was a local shop selling lbs for $50. Another place $40 which is the norm.

Buying online for high demand powders has been random luck. I have a bunch of bookmark links to specific powders on various stores. When I sit down at my computer I open them up. Usually there is a few minute window to add to cart then check out, assuming their website doesn't crash.

Reactions: Senor_Barney
    I had already learned my lesson and stocked long ago to a reasonable level. 24lbs H4350 Mainly so I had the same lot #. I did get burned on SMR primers so I have started using the CCI 41s that I do have.
    I have been able to get some various powders that I didn't have stocked up at the local shops and we have done a few local swap meets I organized.
    If your a member on that ar site the bitches about everything get on your hometown forum and try to get a swap meet and greet bbq. I've done 3 and everyone that came walked away with something they needed.
    I traded some primers for 10k cleaned and prepped 9mm once fired brass. Did some 1# powder swaps for stuff I had extra of etc. If you don't have anything to barter with then pull out the wallet and bend over.

What are you looking for? It's probably gone but a shop near me had gotten some Vhitaviouri N320 8lbs some 1# of N120,N140,N555
    They didn't have prices on them but I think they were under $40 per pound.

They have powder around. Depends on where you go. Academy? Forget it. There’s local shops around that are getting it. I’ve seen 4064, 5895 and 4350. You have to go to shops and ask when they get shipments. Usually once a month and def NOT every kind they’ll get. But remember, many of those comp shooters probably have 50lbs of powder, brass, 50k+ primers stored since they shoot so much and have bought before pandemic.

Do people find it helpful to call these places directly and check on availability? Perhaps there is phone demand much faster than they can post inventory online?

Odd thing, I have 3K primer + 1,200 round of Berger Hybrids, but just 2 lbs of powder which will get me (at 42.3gr) about 325 rounds

BTW, Vizards Guns & Ammo has 140gr Hybrids in stock as of 1 hour ago

As others have said, the sites you listed have powders, stock shows up of different powders once or twice a week, either keep checking, hope for an alert from someone here on the hide or try discord. You didnt mention what powder(s) you are looking for, if its something very high demand like Varget well better keep waiting, Powder valley had 8#'s of AR Comp this week among other Hogdon and Alliant powders, but they sell quickly.

Primers seem to come in stock to most online retailers about once a week as well, sell fast and are limited to 1,000 per order so with shipping & hazmat they are pricy but not as pricy as gunbroker!

Components will normalize by the end of the year, hopefully, so if not desperate be patient.

Can someone explain like I'm five how anybody at all is getting powder these days?

Given no online retailers, or any brick-and-mortar shop within 300 miles of me in Northern California, seems to ever have powder for sale you would think that there should be zero shooting for any of us.

And yet, my local range is still having weekend steel competitions...still holding the long range practices, and doesnt seem like foor traffic has doed at all.

Ive not been able to back order anything, it seems. Plus, we are all on the same "notify me when in stock" lists at the same places. For which I've gotten zero notifications.

MSS
    Grafs
    Precision Reloading
    Brownells
    Powder Valley
    scheels
    Midway
    Sharpshooter
    Selway
    Hodgdon direct

It seems to me that you have to know someone to get some powder "held in back" or something else entirely. Fluke perhaps?

Not trying to piss anybody off or open a can of worms but just looking for some helpful advice from those that went through thia back in the 2012-2014 time frame what I can/should be doing that does NOT involve dropping my pants and bending over on gunbroker.

Thanks! Ill get off my soap box.
    I don't know about anyone else but as for me I buy stuff over time when it's in stock. I might not need primers or powder or bullets but for staple products I just buy them when I can and when shelves are full.

People that run a "just in time" model are way more impacted by shortages.

The hardest part of the way I do it is to not get tempted into just endless blasting simply because I have more components. Once you get past the notion that you have to shoot everything you have "right now" keeping supplies is not that hard.

If you shoot 100 rounds per week for example (and stick to it) it's not hard to figure out how much stuff you need to build up in order to have a two year supply or whatever.

Reactions: Senor_Barney
    online but you will have to be looking or what I do refreshing all day almost every day to catch it in stock finding alternative powders helps when what your looking for is hard to find, giving you better chances . If one is not there the others might be . just recently picked up 4 8lb jugs of Imr 4350 and 6 1 lb jugs of aa 4350 and imr 4451 to try good luck to you finding what your looking for and don't give up hope I had to travel to md just to get primers and even at a higher than I want to pay prices was able to pick up 8 boxes of cci lrp's not the federals I was wanting but it works so it's out there you just have to find it and buy the hell out of it when you find it .

Brownells had spp and cci 450s for hours as well as h4350 for a couple days this past week. Supply is slowly starting to catch-up where it's not a 5 second credit card info war a year ago. Just put in for notifications and have your email on auto-sync if you don't want to join the discord.

1627773025066.gif

I just keep a list of the usual web sites, click on each one every morning as part of the coffee ritual.
    Someone once observed “The early bird gets the worm”
    Availability seems to be improving.
    In the past 2 weeks, I was able to order:
    VihtaVuori N120
    IMR 4227
    Accurate 1680

online but you will have to be looking or what I do refreshing all day almost every day to catch it in stock finding alternative powders helps when what your looking for is hard to find, giving you better chances . If one is not there the others might be . just recently picked up 4 8lb jugs of Imr 4350 and 6 1 lb jugs of aa 4350 and imr 4451 to try good luck to you finding what your looking for and don't give up hope I had to travel to md just to get primers and even at a higher than I want to pay prices was able to pick up 8 boxes of cci lrp's not the federals I was wanting but it works so it's out there you just have to find it and buy the hell out of it when you find it .
    Mind if I ask what you paid for your 8lb of 4350? Just curious cause my local is selling theirs for $339

don't discount small mom and pop LGS as well. I was able to score seven 1# cans of Varget over the past year at a North Bay Area store. I'm friendly with one of the guys and he kept me in the loop as they received product. I think you also need to remain flexible and able to compromise. Found N550 the other day on ammoseek when looking for H4350 - similar burn rates so I hope it works OK.

Mind if I ask what you paid for your 8lb of 4350? Just curious cause my local is selling theirs for $339
    239 each for the 8lbs +19 hazmat+shipping so about 294ish delivered . I liked the way the n555 shot in my 6.5 cm that and the win 6.5 stabal , but they needed more powder than say h 4350 to hit higher speeds in the 2770 ish range but that was in my gun .

Last edited:
    Pro tip....stock up on supplies before a democrat gets into office.
    Every Friday for almost 2 years I purchased 2-3 boxes of bullets. I opened a scheels visa when I noticed their H5350 was starting to dwindle. I cleaned them out of 8lb jugs. They resupplied. Everything was easily available. I saw what happened to Varget years ago and swore I'd never end up with expensive paperweights. I grabbed everything I could during Trump. Primers will be my downfall. I recently started paying 60 a box for berger hybrids. Not a good feeling since they used to be 43$

Every Friday for almost 2 years I purchased 2-3 boxes of bullets. I opened a scheels visa when I noticed their H5350 was starting to dwindle. I cleaned them out of 8lb jugs. They resupplied. Everything was easily available. I saw what happened to Varget years ago and swore I'd never end up with expensive paperweights. I grabbed everything I could during Trump. Primers will be my downfall. I recently started paying 60 a box for berger hybrids. Not a good feeling since they used to be 43$
    Me and you are cut from the same cloth I got so much h4350,varget and retumbo it hurts people's feelings doing it the same way except i would buy a case of primers for every pair of 8lbs of powder and 5k prjos with it

Me and you are cut from the same cloth I got so much h4350,varget and retumbo it hurts people's feelings doing it the same way except i would buy a case of primers for every pair of 8lbs of powder and 5k prjos with it
    I started shooting ARs when I turned 18 in 2001. I was fortunate to have an awesome elder mentor. He forced me to buy everything by the case. I would stop over and he would have a bill. It never failed. Every time, "Here kid, 5000 primers you didn't ask for but will thank me one day". During Bush long range shooting popularity was so low that most scopes had mismatched reticles/dials and the bitching wasn't loud enough for manufactures to wake up. Bravo Co. M4 barrels were at 168$. Federal large rifle Match primers were 39/1000. 168gr SMKs were like 26 a box. life was good. In 2008 the campaigning scared the shit out of me but shooting all together was on pause for me but I ate cheaply in my 20s and focused funds to grow my plie. I have never regretted buying a single reloading component even if needing it was years away. The only thing I did that was foolish in the past 20 years was walking into Scheels with no receipt and 3000 - 168SMKs to trade for store credit. Granted by this time they jumped 10 cents per round. It was a good investment but I would be nice to have them sitting here now.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    don't discount small mom and pop LGS as well. I was able to score seven 1# cans of Varget over the past year at a North Bay Area store. I'm friendly with one of the guys and he kept me in the loop as they received product. I think you also need to remain flexible and able to compromise. Found N550 the other day on ammoseek when looking for H4350 - similar burn rates so I hope it works OK.
    ☝🏽this. I need to figure out these honey holes

Wise man once told me to stock up on powders and primers as they will always be the first one to go and when you buy a lot to make the hazmat worth it or buy enough for the vendor to take off the hazmat... do vendors still do that?

In March of 2020 when loaded ammo started to jump up in price I bought 10 years worth of powder and primers for every rifle I own and a few I don't yet. Along the way I picked up a bit more too. Don't sleep on panic's eve.

Reactions: Mudburner
    Wise man once told me to stock up on powders and primers as they will always be the first one to go and when you buy a lot to make the hazmat worth it or buy enough for the vendor to take off the hazmat... do vendors still do that?

Only place I've been finding that gives any sale discount on powders is Natchez. They had a $20 discount on a 8lb jug I purchased, which is basically free hazmat. In this market, stuff sells without needing to offer discounts. I'm shocked they still have sales on their stuff when it comes in stock.

Discord and a desk job, keep it running in the background in a separate window. Log in to all the retailers first thing in the morning and make sure your CCs are on file or in your browser's wallet so it auto populates. I haven't tried to buy powder in a while but primers are lasting longer than 23 seconds lately....maybe there's hope.

Reactions: Combat photog
    If you don't mind me asking, where is your ao? The gun shows around here have sucked balls for over a year.
    I went to the Dixie show yesterday in Raleigh. Most of the time I skip the fayettenam shows just because I hate that place. The shows usually don’t do as well for stuff I like anyway, but the few times I have been, there has been powder availability. Those are the only two cities I go to gun shows. I hit all the mom and pop stores up on a weekly or bi-weekly basis as well. What are you looking for a and I might be able to point out if I have seen any lately.

I grabbed 25k+ primers, 40lbs of H4350 and 10+ of varget during late Obama and mid-term Trump. I learned to use other low-demand or older tech powders for plinking/practice/hunting. More dry-fire practice, etc...

Only thing I didn't anticipate, and my own fault for venturing into new calibers, is now I'm in need of 6mm match bullets and there are very few available.

Reactions: Pink_Mist
    Steady supplied as I could after 2012ish. Lots of pull-down powder on the cheap to feed blasters (wc844(H335 equiv) works in more than a few of my long guns, maybe not ideal but better than not shooting. I generally only get 8lb jugs.

I got into 6.5cm in the middle of this current mess. I refuse to pay more than msrp. There are no good local purchase options where I am.

I signed up for alerts with a bunch of sites but also would keep tabs on my phone for MSSS, PV, and Natchez for H4350 and 6. 5staball.

I was refreshing my tabs a couple of months ago (while brushing my teeth!) and Natchez had staball in 1# cans, 5 limit, and I got them. Not a ton, but enough to play with.

I promised myself with this caliber I'd be better. Using the Hide to come up with a combo that I would just stick with, minimize my supply chain, and be happy.

I went to the Dixie show yesterday in Raleigh. Most of the time I skip the fayettenam shows just because I hate that place. The shows usually don’t do as well for stuff I like anyway, but the few times I have been, there has been powder availability. Those are the only two cities I go to gun shows. I hit all the mom and pop stores up on a weekly or bi-weekly basis as well. What are you looking for a and I might be able to point out if I have seen any lately.
    I'm southeast of Charlotte. The Charlotte and Concord shows for the last 12-16 months have been less than stellar, especially for loading supplies. I'm hunting IMR-8133, VV N140, and H4895.

@NCHillbilly
    I’ll keep my eye out and see what is around. I’ve never used any of those so if I find them, I’d be more than happy to snag them for you if you’d like. We can work up a meeting place if needed as well.

Reactions: NCHillbilly
    Steady supplied as I could after 2012ish. Lots of pull-down powder on the cheap to feed blasters (wc844(H335 equiv) works in more than a few of my long guns, maybe not ideal but better than not shooting. I generally only get 8lb jugs.

I got into 6.5cm in the middle of this current mess. I refuse to pay more than msrp. There are no good local purchase options where I am.

I signed up for alerts with a bunch of sites but also would keep tabs on my phone for MSSS, PV, and Natchez for H4350 and 6. 5staball.

I was refreshing my tabs a couple of months ago (while brushing my teeth!) and Natchez had staball in 1# cans, 5 limit, and I got them. Not a ton, but enough to play with.

I promised myself with this caliber I'd be better. Using the Hide to come up with a combo that I would just stick with, minimize my supply chain, and be happy.
    6.5 staball is one of the ones a local place here has a bunch of. H4350 is very hard to come by. Best bet I think is to bookmark about 5 good places and then check them every day 2-3 times or more if you can. It doesn't take long and in a week or 2 you will be able to get what you need.

Where are you located?

6.5 staball is one of the ones a local place here has a bunch of. H4350 is very hard to come by. Best bet I think is to bookmark about 5 good places and then check them every day 2-3 times or more if you can. It doesn't take long and in a week or 2 you will be able to get what you need.

Where are you located?
    Thanks man!! SE corner of GA. Camden county.

Not sure how far that is from b-ham AL but I knew you were somewhere in the south so, thought it was worth asking. Probably further than you'd want to go.

I buy in bulk, like stated above when I buy primers it is 5000 at a time. New barrel buy primers and bullets, I always buy enough to shoot out a barrel. It sucks up front but on the back side you will be shooting while everyone else is looking for components.

I buy in bulk, like stated above when I buy primers it is 5000 at a time. New barrel buy primers and bullets, I always buy enough to shoot out a barrel. It sucks up front but on the back side you will be shooting while everyone else is looking for components.
    I had ammo stock piled but I wasn't reloading when all the crazy started this time. I won't be in this situation ever again! Selling ammo is how I paid for a lot of my reloading supplies but when things get back to "normal" (if they do get back to normal). I will definitely stock up and not ever have to worry about it again.

And yet, my local range is still having weekend steel competitions...still holding the long range practices, and doesnt seem like foor traffic has doed at all.

MSS
    Grafs
    Precision Reloading
    Brownells
    Powder Valley
    scheels
    Midway
    Sharpshooter
    Selway
    Hodgdon direct
    Ryan, what powders are you looking for? In the last 6 months, I have gotten powders from most of the places in your list, but timing is everything, nothing stays in stock long.